mtbr member

2011 Rock Shox Lyrik Stanchions creaking??

Hi All,

I just had my 2011 enduro's head set replaced as I was hearing a bit if creaking. It seemed to have been quiet for that first ride but now it is really creaking, especially when I brake. I took it to the shop and they played with it for a while, removed fork, re lubed and re torqued everything and still massive creak.

While the fork was out, dude was able to get a small creak out of just the fork but couldn't repeat it. He thinks, and I think I agree that the stanchions may be creaking within the crown of my fork.

Has anyone even heard of that before?

I really hate creaking coming from my bike.

thanks,

Jeff

Stand back
    I'll be interested to see if you turn up anything. I've got the same set up ('12 Enduro comp) with a bit of a creak that I haven't been able to fix. Mine gets worse after it's been wet. Does yours mostly occur when you hit the front brakes? How did you narrow it down to fork/ headset?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My Lyrik's seals were creaking terribly after my original LBS did not add enough oil into the fork. After changing shop for the one which knew what they were doing the fork is completely quiet. Try adding a bit of silicon lube to the stanchions - it's not a permanent fix as it quickly wipes off and might attract dirt - but it could allow you to isolate the problem.

yet another stupid german
    turn the bike over, put your feet on the bar ends, twist the fork back and forth at the lowers or wheel. creak? yes? spray some lube at the stanchion/crown interface, let it penetrate a while, repeat twist...

it's not really unusual for SC forks to creak at the stanchion/crown, if it's not really "loud" you can ignore it (or at least try to^^)

mtbr member
    Creaking stanchions? I hate creaks, and coming from the stanchions I would be leery of riding it. Even if it was "normal" there's no way it wouldn't eventually drive me nuts. Depending upon the severity I'd probably wind up replacing the fork.
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference

mtbr member

Re: 2011 Rock Shox Lyrik Stanchions creaking??

I may have to, I'm taking the bike to rock shox repair place next week, see what they say.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk