mtbr member
    May 2011

2011 diamondback mission

What's the consensus on these bikes? Want something I can take downhill, over rocks, rail some berms, and hit some medium sized jumps and drops, but still be able to pedal uphill from time to time. Seems like it gets mixed reviews on it's climbing.

I can get one for under $1000. Granted it's the mission 1, so not the greatest build on it, but for a bike that's been barely used and that cheap, I can swap parts out as needed.

mtbr member
    The mission is solid enough to do a lot of things. What you describe is well within its limits, depending on the level of definition you give all that you want to do - constant downhill rockgarden and hucking 6 feet to flat? Maybe not the bike.

I owned a 2010 Mission and loved it, hammered it on the Whole Enchilada and then took it up to the Canyons Bike Park in Utah....no problem. It will get you up the hill and down again without issue.

$1000 brand new - good deal. $1000 used maybe not so much depending on condition.

I now own a 2012 Diamondback Scapegoat, burlier tubeset and was built originally as a mini DH with a 180mm Marz 66. Loved it so much decided to make it my do everything bike, switched out the Marz for a Suntour Durolux 180mm RC2 and its a balanced machine.

my .02

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Well I ended up getting it for 900. Can't wait to take it back to the resort and around town and see how it does. All stock, barely even used. Owner said he barely put any miles on it and it looks that way. First mod will be a dropper post, then go from there.