mtbr member
    Sep 2013

2010 vs 2011 Enduro Expert...need advice...kinda got screwed

Hey everyone, I'm a first time poster but have been reading the forums for a while. The info here is great and has helped me a lot with picking out gear. I rode DH about a decade ago and am just now getting back into riding, so I might as well be a newbie when it comes to gear.

I bought a Specialized Enduro Expert on ebay for $1450. The listing said it was a 2011, but when I opened the box and started putting it together I realized the components were wrong. I had to call Specialized to order a new hub cover/spacer/adjuster thing for the front (it was missing, Specialized is mailing me one for free, so no worries there), and they were able to confirm that I do in fact have a 2010 model.

What I'm most concerned about is the difference in components. The 2011 came with a Fox Float 36 R fork and RP23 shock. The 2010 that the guy mailed me has a Rock Shox Lyrik and Fox RP2. It's my understanding, from what people have told me, that the 2011 is a much better setup (which is why I was stoked to get a 2011 expert for $1450).

Is the difference really that noticeable between the two years? Did I get screwed? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by billygoat162; 09-16-2013 at 03:36 PM. Reason: more appropriate title

mtbr member
    Have to talked to the person you bought it from? Pretty sure you could file a claim and recover your money if you really wanted to.

mtbr member
    if you end up with a pre '13 enduro switch the rear fox shock out whatever it may be. try to find a monarch plus for it at some point. it will transform the ride. the rp2 was not a great spec and the rp23 was a little better but not worth keeping. that frame is all about hitting tech lines and it needs grip from a better shock. i could live with the parts spec from either and change out as it wears out but both rps gotta go.

hope you get your sale sorted. you will love the ride though if you end up with one! good luck with it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yep, you could file a fraud claim via eBay and either get your money back including shipping or possibly get a partial refund depending on if the seller is interested in working with you.

As for the difference between model years, I'm of no help. Try posting in the Specialized forums.

mtbr member
    Did you buy the bike without seeing pictures of it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The listing had pictures. It just didn't even occur to me that the seller (with 100% positive feedback) would list the wrong model year, otherwise I would have looked at them more closely. The bike seemed in decent shape, I just didn't squint hard enough to read the lettering on the fork.

Now I need to decide if I should keep the bike (which looks to have seen some miles), ask for a partial refund, or return it and possibly buy an almost new 2013 enduro comp for about $550 more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Re: 2010 vs 2011 Enduro Expert...need advice...kinda got screwed

So... you bought the bike for 1450$ without checking the parts list for that specific bike, and without checking the Spec archive site to see where that Enduro belongs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    For an extra $550, file a return thru ebay it and buy the new one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    For an extra $550, file a return thru ebay it and buy the new one.
    This, that $550 also get you a warranty. Remember if you aren't the original owner and the frame breaks you're SOL.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by discohospital View Post
    So... you bought the bike for 1450$ without checking the parts list for that specific bike, and without checking the Spec archive site to see where that Enduro belongs?
    Again, I'm new to mtb shopping. There were no specs listed in the auction, and I didn't know there was even such a thing as a spec archive site until just now when I read your post. I did a google search but didn't find much. Try to have some understanding for people less experienced than yourself.

The '13 Enduro Comp is from a second party who rode it about 10 times, so it won't come with the warranty. I'm thinking that the price of servicing the fork and shock, which I doubt the '10 has ever had done, still makes the '13 comp pretty tempting. I'll see if I can get a partial refund, otherwise I'll probably file a claim and buy the '13.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    One more thing, how effective is the Propedal setting supposed to be? I can't tell any difference with it on or off. I read lots of posts of people claiming the same thing with new shocks, and people claiming the difference is night and day. The RP2 on it has the boost valve if it makes any difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat162 View Post
    One more thing, how effective is the Propedal setting supposed to be? I can't tell any difference with it on or off. I read lots of posts of people claiming the same thing with new shocks, and people claiming the difference is night and day. The RP2 on it has the boost valve if it makes any difference.
    read my post.