Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    r99
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

2010 Specialized Enduro: A long term review from an average guy. (With Pics)

A little about me:

I rarely race. I am not affiliated with a bike shop or bike company. I love to descend fast and climb technical trails. In the past I have owned a Giant Anthem, Fuel Ex, Santa Cruz V10, round tubing DHR and Giant Glory. I have spent a little time on friends 160mm bikes too.

I purchased a 2010 Medium Enduro Comp in August of 2010.

I have ridden the Enduro about four times a week since it was purchased eleven months ago. Each ride includes at least a thousand feet of climbing and descending.

The Bike:

Photobucket

The Build:

Frame: Medium 2010 Enduro Comp
    Fork: Rock Shox Lyrik with Mission Control DH Rebound and Compression Damper (No Travel Adjust)
    Handlebars: Easton Haven 711mm low rise
    Stem: Race Face Atlas 70mm
    Wheels: Hadley hubs laced to Sun Singletrack rims
    Tires: Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 EXO
    Pedals: Shimano PD-M647 DX
    Almost Everything Else: Stock
    Weight: More than thirty pounds less than forty pounds

Key upgrades:
    If you are like me and descending is your primary goal the Enduro comp only NEEDS one change. The Lyrik performs far better with the Mission Control DH Rebound and Compression damper. It costs about 200-250 dollars.

My take on The Geometry:

Descending:

The Enduro is long, low and slack. It is made to feel like a downhill bike and it does.

The Head Tube Angle is 66.5 which is as slack or slacker than bikes like the Reign X, Nomad and Mojo HD.

The Medium Enduro has a longer wheelbase at 45.3 Inches than may of its competitors. The Mojo HD has a wheelbase of 44.64 inches; the Reign X is 44.88 and the Santa Cruz Nomad is 44 Inches.

The Enduro has a BB as low or lower than many other 160mm bikes at 13.78 Inches.

Photobucket

Climbing:

The Endruo excels at climbing steep technical and loose trails.

The Enduro has a steep seat tube angle, and a short chain stay.

The steep seat tube angle is 75 degrees which is slightly less than the Trek Scratch (75.6), but is steeper than the Nomad (71.5) Reign X (72.5) and Mojo HD (71). I think the steep seat angle makes it easier to get my weight forward and keep the front end under control on steep climbs.

The Enduro’s chain stay is relatively short when compared with other bikes. I think that the short chain stay gives me better traction on steep loose climbs because my weight is on top of the rear wheel. The shorter chain stay probably makes the front wheel want to wander a little more, but on the rocky loose trails I climb rear wheel traction is more important.

Compared with cross country bikes the Enduro is heavy, but I do not think its downhill friendly geometry takes away from its climbing abilities. My last bike was a 2008 Trek Fuel EX. I find the front end is easier to control on the Enduro on steep climbs than the Trek. Maybe the difference is I am a better rider, but I only have the Enduro to thank for that. Since I purchased the Enduro I ride more because riding is more fun.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Can anyone name this trail?

The Suspension:

The rear suspension is very active and has been a great match for the loose rocks here in San Luis. The most important suspension quality for me is consistent traction while flat cornering. In this category it has performed better than any other bike I have ridden, including downhill bikes.

Photobucket

The rear suspension tracks very well through rocks and the rear triangle is stiff. It holds lines and pedals through rock gardens far better than I expected.

Photobucket

Photobucket

A few Cons:

One of the drawbacks of the stock RP2 shock (which comes on the Comp model) is it will bottom relatively easily. I weigh 145 pound with gear and run 30-33% sag. It will bottom on drops larger than 4 feet unless the transition is steep. There are a number of rear shock options to fix this, but I am so impressed with the bike's traction through loose corners that I do not feel like changing anything.

The stock dual ring chain guide works ok. I drop my chain every couple of rides. It is not nearly as secure as the MRP G2 I use on my DH bike. Maybe my expectations are too high.

I wish I could drop the seat post all the way to the seat collar. The stock seat post still has about 4 inches exposed when the seat post is slammed. It is not a problem for trail riding, but it would be nice if it went down farther.

The rest of the stock components have performed up to my expectations.

The Bottom Line:

This bike descends extremely well and is more than capable of climbing difficult trails. It has greatly improved my descending abilities mostly by improving my confidence. Since I bought the Enduro I ride more, because this bike is so much fun to ride.

Feel free to ask questions.

Thanks to Niels for letting me use the camera. Thanks to Niels and Chris for taking the awesome pictures.

Photobucket

mtbr member
    Great review. Where is it that you ride? Also, what chain guide is that?

r99
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I live and ride in San Luis Obispo, California. All the pictures were taken on rides you can pedal to from town.

The chain guide came stock on the bike. I think it is the same as Gamut's dual ring guide.

mtbr member
    Hi r99,have the same bike that you,made the same fork upgrade and a few more..riser bar Sunline 711mm low rise,Thomson 50mmm stem,superstar flat pedals,command post ( that you should consider )and Maxxis HR2.35 at the rear wheel and Minion, 2.35 too, at the front, i've a question and a tip for you,when do you rotate the dials on your Lyrik the changes are subtil or you really feel them only by yanking on the handlebar??The problem on our bikes ( i feel that it bottoms out frequently too) is using a Fox kit to make the a RP2 more progressive (rising rate) that you can see here,it makes the RP2 harder to compress on the end of the stroke.The larger the spacer the harder ir gets at the end of the travel.
    Latest pics:

mtbr member
    The backside of San Luis mountain?

"No Clue Crew"
    Great write-up!

r99
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit43 View Post
    command post ( that you should consider )
    All the trails I ride have one big climb and one big descent. I take a brake at the top anyway, so an adjustable seat post is unnecessary in San Luis Obispo.

i've a question and a tip for you,when do you rotate the dials on your Lyrik the changes are subtil or you really feel them only by yanking on the handlebar??
    The effect of the compression adjustments on the Lyrik are subtle. To feel a difference on the trail I have to give it a lot of clicks. I really like the fork though.

The problem on our bikes ( i feel that it bottoms out frequently too) is using a Fox kit to make the a RP2 more progressive (rising rate) that you can see here,it makes the RP2 harder to compress on the end of the stroke.The larger the spacer the harder ir gets at the end of the travel.
    That looks like a great idea. I will check it out. Thanks. Awesome bike too.

Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    The backside of San Luis mountain?
    Yes. The first and last pic were taken on the backside of the mountain. The other trails are a little harder to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Grave9 View Post
    Great write-up!
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    great picts too man!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great write up on the enduro. i just recently picked up an 2011 comp and so far love it. so far the only things i've upgraded/changed are the bars (to low and to wide for my preferrence) and the seat post, put a control post on it.

so far the bikes rides amazingly better than i thought, my only issue is not having enough time to get out and ride more.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the write-up, have been seriously considering getting the frame for quite a while now.

How do you think the bike would behave with a coil shock, 1x9 and a reverb?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nice,! I am actually going to Vandenberg AFB for work at the end of July. I use to live out that way, so I am stoked to ride Montana de oro once I get there...kinda curious how it will feel to ride at sea level again lol

Nice write up and the trails look just as fun as what I can remember!

r99
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pablobaq View Post
    great picts too man!
    Thanks! The pictures are fresh too. All the downhill ones were taken yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by retrofred View Post
    Great write up on the enduro. i just recently picked up an 2011 comp and so far love it.
    You should seriously consider the Mission Control DH Rebound and Compression damper for your Lyrik. It is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by lew242 View Post
    Thanks for the write-up, have been seriously considering getting the frame for quite a while now.

How do you think the bike would behave with a coil shock, 1x9 and a reverb?
    Most bikes are built to pedal best in a middle ring, so a 1 X 9 should work great. You could also put on a proper single ring chain guide and never drop your chain.

I have heard great things about the reverb, but I have never tried one.

It is hard to find a coil shock that will fit on the enduro. It is a slightly different length than other shocks. I think the rock shox monarch air shock will fit. Specialized might also be coming out with an EVO kit. I would go for the Monarch.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse101 View Post
    Nice,! I am actually going to Vandenberg AFB for work at the end of July. I use to live out that way, so I am stoked to ride Montana de oro once I get there...kinda curious how it will feel to ride at sea level again lol

Nice write up and the trails look just as fun as what I can remember!
    Vandenberg is very close to SLO. MDO is awesome, but we have a lot of other great trails too. Look for morning glory on the grade. It is one of my favorites

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I picked up an '11 model a couple of weeks ago. That bike kills DJ's too. I cut about 3.5" off the seat post, right above the notches, with a hacksaw at the lbs.

Dishwasher Safe
    Quote Originally Posted by r99 View Post

Can anyone name this trail?

Photobucket

If you're referring to this one, it's Pick & Shovel. One of my favorites when I lived up there…

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Great write up! I have been bouncing back and forth between a 2011 enduro comp and pitch pro. I have decided to go with the 2011 enduro comp. My LBS has marked them down to $2379.00 and they offer a great lay a way plan to hold it. I am going down there next weekend to grab it.

r99
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by deadbolt View Post
    If you're referring to this one, it's Pick & Shovel. One of my favorites when I lived up there…
    I was asking if anyone recognized the trail in the climbing pictures.

Pick is one of my favorites too.

Quote Originally Posted by afp3 View Post
    Great write up! I have been bouncing back and forth between a 2011 enduro comp and pitch pro. I have decided to go with the 2011 enduro comp. My LBS has marked them down to $2379.00 and they offer a great lay a way plan to hold it. I am going down there next weekend to grab it.
    Awesome. I think you made the right choice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I love my Enduro. I will be upgrading the rear to a Pushed RS Monarch Plus and the fork to either a Lyric RC2 DH Coil or a Fox Vanilla RC2.
    People make me mad...

Dishwasher Safe
    I was asking if anyone recognized the trail in the climbing pictures.

Pick is one of my favorites too.

Ahhhh. That one's hard to tell. Looks kinda like the Mariposa trail at Irish Hills...

mtbr member
    One of the drawbacks of the stock RP2 shock (which comes on the Comp model) is it will bottom relatively easily. There are a number of rear shock options to fix this, but I am so impressed with the bike's traction through loose corners that I do not feel like changing anything.
    I've said this one time to many, A better shock can make a bike feel night day difference in performance, Make the upgrade, you'll think you waited too long even if you upgraded it yesterday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Great Review

"I wish I could drop the seat post all the way to the seat collar. The stock seat post still has about 4 inches exposed when the seat post is slammed. It is not a problem for trail riding, but it would be nice if it went down farther."

I just grab a sawzall and trim off a few inches from the bottom so i can slam it all the way down when needed.

mtbr member
    Very cool pics, makes me wish I was back in SLO (Cal Poly alum here).

r99
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by deadbolt View Post
    Ahhhh. That one's hard to tell. Looks kinda like the Mariposa trail at Irish Hills...
    No. Other side of town. It is not a trail that very many people attempt to climb.

Quote Originally Posted by Drth Vadr View Post
    I've said this one time to many, A better shock can make a bike feel night day difference in performance, Make the upgrade, you'll think you waited too long even if you upgraded it yesterday.
    That is a very convincing argument. Now I am considering a Monarch. If it feels like the Lyrik I would be very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro719 View Post
    Great Review
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by unbalanced View Post
    Very cool pics, makes me wish I was back in SLO (Cal Poly alum here).
    Glad you liked the pics. The trails are still here and as fun as ever.

mtbr member
    Wanted to ask how you like the Minion DHF EXO front and rear for all mountain use and are you running them tubeless? I'm trying to decide between those front and rear or Holy Rollers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    great write up. I love my 2009 Enduro Comp. It's really my first "all mountain" bike so i don't have much to compare it too, but, i bet i'd like it no matter what (i rode an FSR XC for a long long time).

I put a Fox Talas 36 on the front, taking out the 32 Float that year's model came with...I'll take the small added weight - it's a fantastic fork. Confidence inspiring.

other than that, beefier tires (Maxxis Advent), and new front rim and hub (WTB Freeride and Superduty)....

I think the frame geo is the same on the 2009 and the 2010...but i wanna check now! (Let me know if you know)

r99
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by starry View Post
    great write up.

I think the frame geo is the same on the 2009 and the 2010...but i wanna check now! (Let me know if you know)
    The Geo for the 2009 Enduro can be found here: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...9&sid=09Enduro

The Geo on the 2010 is similar to the 2009, but the 2010 is a little longer lower and slacker. The 2010 also has a steeper seat tube angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Whip Chop! View Post
    Wanted to ask how you like the Minion DHF EXO front and rear for all mountain use and are you running them tubeless? I'm trying to decide between those front and rear or Holy Rollers.
    I was running my DHF EXO tires with tubes. I really like the tread pattern, but I pinch flat the DHF EXO far too much.

I recently put a dual ply Minion DHF wire bead downhill tire on the rear. It adds almost a pound, but I have had bad luck with tubeless and I do not like pinch flatting.

The trails I ride have a lot of sharp rocks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast