mtbr member

2010 Pitch VS 2013 TranceX3

I need help deciding on what bike to get. Here are my 2 options. 2010 Specialized Pitch Comp (size large) and a 2013 Giant Trance X3 (size medium). Iíve been bouncing back and forth for the last couple of weeks on which to pull the trigger on and I am currently at an impasse. The Pitch has been sitting at my LBS for who knows how long waiting to be sold and itís at a good price. The Trance X3 I would have to order but thatís not a big deal since the turnaround time is minimal. I currently ride a lot of all mountain trails with some decently technical single track mixed in. Basically I ride any trail I can get my hands on that isnít flat and straight. Iím 5í11Ē with a 33 inch inseam, and weigh right around 170 lbs. Iím not sure if the large Pitch would be too big for me or not. That is part of my problem. I can order the Trance X3 in whatever size necessary as soon as I can figure out what size I need. Currently the LBS has a size small trance sitting there so Iíve been able to do side by side comparisons and what not. My other decision conundrum comes with the aspect of both bikes being right around the same price but the pitch has an obviously better fork with a maxle, ISCG tabs and more travel, whereas the Trance has the maestro suspension, beefier neck tube, and is a current production bike, so support for it and replacement parts are very easy to come by. Any input you guys could give me would be amazing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have a Pitch Pro and love it. Great bike. However, I think the large will be too big for you. I'm 6'2" and ride the large and it fits me perfectly. Specialized is also not making the pitch anymore so it might be hard to warranty down the line.

I have no experience with the Trance but it looks like a nice bike. Maybe buy it and see if the bike shop will upgrade your fork at a discount. Worth a shot. Don't get a bike that is the wrong size for you, you will regret it.

mtbr member
    I ride a 2011 Trance X3. I absolutely love it! I know that everyone will have a bias towards their own bike but here's the thing, the Trance is Giants go to bike and they really stand behind their product. Nothing against the pitch at all but it is out of production a while back and that one is already a 3 year old model, they've put all of their efforts into the Stumpjumper now. Also look up the articles in Mountain Bike Action they are very informative, the 2010 model came behind the stumpjumper by few points and the 2012 model took number 1 as best trailbike for the price range. It took me 6 months to do all my research and finally pull the trigger on the bike I wanted in the price range and I couldn't be happier with the decision. I ride a large frame and I'm 6 ft 235 lbs and I have not had any issues in a year and a half of riding it hard. It climbs very well and is a blast going down. Ultimately its your call but I think going for the newer bike with new upgrades like tapered head tube and a great suspension platform would be the way to go. Hope that helps, I know buying the right bike is a hard call but in all reality as long as you're out riding either one of those great bikes you'll have a blast and tat's all you can ask for.

Come on, dare me!
    Hello,

If it can be of any help, I have a (fully customized) 2008 Pitch in size M and a Giant Trance X (Advanced SL), so I think I can compare. As said above, the large Pitch will be too big for you, I'm sure. This is a bike that "feels" and fits big, so an M would be perfect, given your measurements. Plus, as much as I love Specialized (I've owned quite a few over the years), the Maestro suspension is superior to the (aging) FSR, IMO. The Maestro feels closer to a VPP (platform-like), i.e. very stable when climbing and very smooth on downhills. My advice : buy the Giant and upgrade parts as time goes by.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    idk. im 5'8"; I had a db mission in a large and loved it.19"frame with 24"tt. I proabably didn't know any better. I have shorter legs and a long torso. with a short stem and the seat pushed all the way forward I didn't feel that stretched out. compared to a medium I felt more inside the bike with the taller headtube. I know this kind of fitting goes completely against the general acceptance.
    So it is possible if you want a high speed bike you could fit the large. and if you want a lowspeed maneuverable flickable bike then medium. one will suit some situations better than the other. I used to blast my mission downhill like nobodys business. my medium rz140 took me some time to get use. I would probably feel stretched out if I went back to the mission. Seems as humans we adapt when we get that thing between our ears out of the way. A lot of it is acclimation. Especially with you inbetween sizes.
    but any who, endure and dh racer mark wier prefers a large with a shorter stem on some high speed coarses. not sure how tall he is but the article mentioned he usually fits a medium.
    Last edited by akiracornell; 05-30-2013 at 11:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    but there is some difference in geom between the pitch mission. my seatpost angle was 72 vs specialized @ 73 maybe 74. which can mean the seat is already a possible 2 inches forward in relation to the cranks. hence no need to push the seat forward to get the same bb/seat angle. plus the more you raise your seat the further away from the stem it gets. so a long legged person will make the same size toptube feel longer. aka the above mentioning the specialized runs big. then arm length is factor

there are a lot of factors to fit and riding style. plus those are two different bikes let alone size. one is all mountain one is trail . 68 vs 69.5 headtube angles. 120 vs 150 travel. you have to get both factors rite. fit and riding style.

you really need to test ride both sizes. and it does change brand to brand. a 20 mm shorter stem and the seat pushed forward 1 inch effectively shortens the bike 2 inches. but that doesn't mean you will like the wheelbase or balance points. test ride and trust your instincts is the safest bet
    Last edited by akiracornell; 05-30-2013 at 11:49 PM.

mtbr member

2010 Pitch VS 2013 TranceX3

Doesn't exactly relate, but I also had a DB Mission in large and it was awesome on the downhills. It had a shorter stem and inline seat post which helped with the fit. Since then I've found I usually like a medium for general trail riding, but maybe I'm leaving some stability on the table vs a large. I'm 5'10" and a 32" biking inseam. I'm usually right b/w the two sizes based on manufacturer's fit guides. YMMV

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The size should be the determining factor here, but you've told us nothing about your trails and riding style. The bikes are intended for different purposes, although there is a lot of overlap between the two. The Pitch is more for aggressive riding and stunts, while the Trance is more of a trail bike. Honestly, this would be a more difficult decision if the sizes were reversed. If you want a more playful bike for jumping and downhills, get the Pitch. However, you would likely want it to fit on the smaller side. If you ride mostly trails with an occasional jump here and there, get the Trance. However, you'd likely want a slightly more laid out position for that type of riding. Basically, get the one that fits and feels the best, because that's the one you will want to ride more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
    I currently ride a lot of all mountain trails with some decently technical single track mixed in. Basically I ride any trail I can get my hands on that isnít flat and straight.
    Jumps are good.

mtbr member
    hi, i have a pitch pro i can say that is one of the best bikes specialized has made, is cheap and you can upgrade everything to make it better but the stock stuff should work fine, im 5.11 and ride a Medium size, large for you is to big no matter how you put the set up (short stem, slide the saddle all the way to the front) i think is gona be big, im make that mistake once,i buy a stumpjumper fsr large because it was in good Price, the bike feels always big, it was a great bike but never feels like a glove when i was riding because of the size, i try changing the set up but if the frame is big for you you never are gona ride to the full, if you are gona do cross contry maybe a larger frame is not big deal you can climb whit more room to move but the pitch is all mountain and is great goin downhill and a large frame is goin to hold you back in the downs, so i don`t now nothing about the trance but is not all mountain is cross country trail the most important thing is that the frame fits you good from the start, so in the end don`t get the pitch if you can`t get a mťdium frame.