mtbr member
    Jun 2011

2010 Marin Mount Vision 5.6 - why 50% off?

I'm seeing great deals on this bike - and I'm always skeptical when I see major markdowns. Could you guys enlighten me on why this bike would be 50% off retail?

Weight - it's not a race bike for sure.
    Component Mix *that* bad?

I see decent reviews for it (not 5/5, but not complete fails either)

It's not high spec componentry, but I hit trails 15 times a year max and am graduating from a Cannondale Delta V - I don't need a XTR Ti Bike!

Should I pull the trigger on this bike at $1000?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by qapla97 View Post
    I'm seeing great deals on this bike - and I'm always skeptical when I see major markdowns. Could you guys enlighten me on why this bike would be 50% off retail?

It's not high spec componentry, but I hit trails 15 times a year max and am graduating from a Cannondale Delta V - I don't need a XTR Ti Bike!

Sounds like a great deal... It's 50% off because it a 2010 model and 2012 will be out soon.

Hope this helps,

Chaser.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

For this price - go for it.
    You wont make a mistake.
    I have 2008 MV and this is a bike I am not going to sell. It is perfect as very universal bike from XC to AM.

Omnipotent
    May 2011
    I too have seen some pretty sweet deals on Marins; I was going to pull the trigger on a Marin WolfRidge 6.8 but the price just seemed too cheap (haha is that possible?) to bite. I read lots of reviews concerning the Marin line of bikes and they all seemed very positive...

Anyone have riding experience, are these bikes worth getting over similar priced competition?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

I just built up a 2010 5.6 frame. It actually came with the RP2 rather than the Ario, so I was happy about that. I paid $645 for the frame including shipping. For that money, (or $1000 for the complete) that's pretty hard to beat.

You can find a bit of info and feedback on it on the Marin board here. I've posted a few things on that board about the frame, so that could give you some insight.

Google "Marin Mt Vision 2010 reviews" and you will find some British and Australian sites reviewing the frame. They seem to really like it.

Keep in mind that they seemed to constantly tweak this bike, and the geometry was a little different in 2010 from 2009.

I'm not sure about this but I wonder if the 120mm My visions were having a hard time finding a place in the current market. thus the blowout of the older models. They are somewhat of an oddity, a 120mm bike with many characteristics of a typical 140 mm bike. One reviewer put it very well, calling the 2010 model a short travel AM bike rather than an xc bike. I think a lot of people see the 120mm travel and assume it is an XC bike, and are then put off by the weight, and most people in the market for an AM bike are not interested in 120mm bikes. This might be why the 2011 models are 140mm.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I bought a 2009 Wolf Ridge 6.7 in 2010 at a steep discount, and I've been happy with it. Buying last year's bike will generally save you a bunch of money.

If 120mm seems short to you, look for a 2010 Wolf Ridge, I think they're 150mm.

If you like jumps and drops, more travel is nice. If you tend to keep the wheels on the ground, more travel is probably wasted, unless you ride really rough trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have the 2010 Mt Vision 5.8, and I doubt that I'll sell it any time soon. As someone said above, its not an xc bike, all its competition has at least 140mm of travel. If I could have bought a 5.6 for $1000 (or a bare frame for $645!) I would have snapped it up as I have changed most components to suit the riding I'm doing with it. Wheels, fork, seatpost, seat, grips, gears, dropouts.....its all been sacrificed to the upgrade gods.
    Don't, however, think that this means the standard spec is totally useless. I am really using this bike outside its design limits. (The day a mate on an M3 couldn't keep me in sight doing DH runs will be forever a high point!) For normal trail riding I have probobly made the bike worse, but for blurring the lines of what is capable on a bike you still want to pedal around I think its perfect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TitaniumV12 View Post
    I too have seen some pretty sweet deals on Marins; I was going to pull the trigger on a Marin WolfRidge 6.8 but the price just seemed too cheap (haha is that possible?) to bite. I read lots of reviews concerning the Marin line of bikes and they all seemed very positive...

Anyone have riding experience, are these bikes worth getting over similar priced competition?
    I've had a 2009 Wolf ridge 6.x frame for 2 years now, I'm very happy with it. It's superstiff and slack. It can withstand a beating and is a really good descender. The drawbacks are a weightpenalty of about 2-500 g on the frame compared to some other high quality frames. And I would also have wanted a 1,5" HT or at least a tapered HT.
    There is some pedal feedback in granny gear when using 22T front and the lighter gears in the back. Otherwise a really good frame.

And compared to similar priced competition when their bikes are at 50% I must say that they are probably better then most.

Omnipotent
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gladegp View Post
    I've had a 2009 Wolf ridge 6.x frame for 2 years now, I'm very happy with it. It's superstiff and slack. It can withstand a beating and is a really good descender. The drawbacks are a weightpenalty of about 2-500 g on the frame compared to some other high quality frames. And I would also have wanted a 1,5" HT or at least a tapered HT.
    There is some pedal feedback in granny gear when using 22T front and the lighter gears in the back. Otherwise a really good frame.

And compared to similar priced competition when their bikes are at 50% I must say that they are probably better then most.
    Yeah the WolfRidge 6.7 I was bidding on went for about $1058, which I'm not sure is a deal or not. It was I think a 2009/10 maybe? Seller said it was about 32-33lbs, which seems kinda portly to me, but I'm strong so I don't think it would be much of an issue uphill... I did a lot of research on the frame and suspension linkages, def seems to have a leg up vs the typical horst/multi-link/pivots... But I'm still not sure bc finding one to demo in this area would be impossible lol. Nobody carries AM bikes around here. I'd have to order one custom.

I'm about 5'11-6ft and figured a large frame would do well since I have very long arms/legs. Anyhow, I too am still interested in finding a Marin, but I don't know much about them aside from my online research... What is a good "deal" for these bikes, since the MSRP is always pretty high ($2000+)?

T.W.O.
    That's a good bike at a good price, looks heavy but does not pedal like one that's pretty rare. Where's this deal again?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Do not waste your time on message boards, just go buy it before someone else do it I have a 2008 120mm MV and its really a great bike, totally recommend. Quad Link suspension is incredibly smooth, but it is not flexy and still makes your bike a good climber.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    I bought a 2009 MV 5.7 at a deep discount. It has been and remains a stellar bike. It has even been shuttled. I wanted something with a bit more travel and slacker geomtery and started looking at bikes. I considered all the usual suspects, but ended up with a 2010 Attack Trail 6.8, also at a deep discount. Again, have not looked back. Both bikes are top notch and I would not trade them for much of anything in their class. There are other bikes I am sure are equally as nice, and maybe for some even better, but for me, the bang for the buck and the fact that they are, regardless of price, a great bike, makes the decision a no-brainer.

A 2010 MV would be a great bike and at $1,000 I do not think you would find any FS bike that will touch it.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Where are you all seeing the 5.6 for $1000 complete. I've got a friend who is in the market.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Where are you all seeing the 5.6 for $1000 complete. I've got a friend who is in the market.
    Google Shopping search will help you find those deals :-) BTW: keep in mind that MV is rather "long" bike with stretched position, so you may want buy one size smaller than usual. With 174cm height i bought S instead of usual M, and this was good decision.

Omnipotent
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rekrutacja View Post
    Google Shopping search will help you find those deals :-) BTW: keep in mind that MV is rather "long" bike with stretched position, so you may want buy one size smaller than usual. With 174cm height i bought S instead of usual M, and this was good decision.
    Hrmm... I've got really long arms and legs... I had an 18.5" standard HT frame with a very long stem and it was still kinda compact for me, I think I'll fit a large bc of said limb length. Wish I could find a place that has demos, then again this bike is pretty rare breed in shops afaik... I wish I could of gotten the one I saw on fleabay..... FCCCCC! Brand new basically, never owned, just demo'd. Full papers, receipt etc... and I F'd up trying to save a penny or 2 and some noob prevailed etc. etc.

Def woulda been the hottest frame on the runs! Yes I do like "nice" looking bikes; naked carbon frames will do that to ya

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by rekrutacja View Post
    Really, height by itself is not a good indicator since it does not accomodate variations in proportions. I am barley 5' 7" (~170cm) with rather short legs and long torso. For the 2009 MV at least, a small feels like a kids bike, and a medium is just about perfect, and that is using the stock stem. I suppose it also depends on intended use and rider preference. I tend to prefer a longer top tube it seems.

The bike fit calculator at Competitive Cyclist output seems to agree with the frame geometry of both my MV and the Attack Trail. I have a medium in each. It was worth going throug hthe measurements and having that reinforce real world observations, because now I can hopefully rely a bit more on what it indicates and apply that to other frames.

To the OP, YMMV, but I would suggest riding one if possible.