mtbr member
    Apr 2018

2009 Stumpy FSR - Refurbish

Good morning yall,

After being out of the scene for over 6 years (since college)... I'm trying to get back into riding.

I enjoy working on things, especially neglected things that need a new lease on life and a little TLC… sooo

I picked up a 2009 Specialized Stumpy FSR Pro for a handshake and a 6-pack. I needs some love to say the least. I plan to tear it down, new bearings, refresh/fluid/bath oil on front fork and rear brain (still unsure about what I am going to do with the rear S-works Brain). Flush the brakes, new tubes… powder coat the frame. I figured I would document my work here and ask for wisdom along the way!

Here are pictures from the day I picked it up...

Pretty decent older components, bike has been setting a while...
    -Appears to have the Fox Talas 140-100 fork (ordered Fox 32 seal kit)
    -Needs bottom bracket bearings, and everywhere else for that matter

What color should I powder-coat frame? Thinking teal ..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009 Stumpy FSR - Refurbish-00o0o_1wmqyxgxlnu_600x450.jpg  

2009 Stumpy FSR - Refurbish-00o0o_f0lifadalgd_600x450.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images   

Out spokin'
    Gasp... somebody left that thing OUTSIDE!
    Best of luck!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    First question...

Bottom bracket on bike - Shimano XT M-770 "hollow tech" I believe

I need to replace... is this the correct replacement? --> https://365cycles.com/index.php/shim...m-bracket.html

I've changed a couple out in my past but not the "Hollow Tech" style... I ordered the correct wrench.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Progress

Finally getting some time to disassemble bike... get ready for some powder coating

I am now thinking black/satin black for frame color... I don't know yet

Delivered TODAY :
    - All frame pivot bearings
    - Headset Bearings
    - HollowTech II bottom bracket + Tool
    - Tubes (Sunlites with 42mm presta)
    - Grips (ODI)
    - Chain - KMC
    - Fox 32 Enduro Seal kit + 10wt Fork oil

Let the FUN begin ... so ready to get on the trail

2009 Stumpy FSR - Refurbish-img_7420.jpg

2009 Stumpy FSR - Refurbish-img_7421.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Best of luck. If you succeed, you will have a nice trail bike to ride around.

Bikesexual
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Made some progress today... all bearings were shot... but all of my ordered goodies came in.

Some idiot thought it would be cool to tighten the mess out of the crank cinch bolts and then leave the head half stripped where an Allen key next size up would almost fit... -_- needless to say I will be taking this to the Bridgeport to drill and tap so I can get it back together properly.

Stripped frame and prepped, etch primer then shot it with some single stage midnight blue with a little metallic. I couldn’t justify powder coating the frame as I don’t want to have much in this build since it is older and a 26-er.

2009 Stumpy FSR - Refurbish-bbdeb924-6844-421b-ab77-42b4dd4700cc.jpg

2009 Stumpy FSR - Refurbish-daa4b981-49c4-4526-be67-8b9b481a9ba3.jpg

2009 Stumpy FSR - Refurbish-f7d1174d-6616-4a89-9711-0424e273f221.jpg

2009 Stumpy FSR - Refurbish-6b23fdfe-8729-44d7-bb68-0d1ee56f072d.jpg

2009 Stumpy FSR - Refurbish-c4276467-0fd6-4d66-9277-b612e30a87a1.jpg

mtbr member
    Keep it up. I love seeing older bikes being pimped. Wide bars, short stem and grippy tires and it will ride almost as well as anything else.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard View Post
    Keep it up. I love seeing older bikes being pimped. Wide bars, short stem and grippy tires and it will ride almost as well as anything else.
    Thanks man! You have my thoughts exactly, although the rider needs some brushing up!

Fresh single stage spray...
    IMG_7461

IMG_7463

Getting the crank set cleaned up a bit and re-loctite'd

IMG_7460

I'd say headset bearings are pretty much shot lol

IMG_7454

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I was able to salvage the XT crank with the stripped bolt!! Really happy that it came out and I was able clean up threads.

Bridgeport came in handy today

IMG_7472

IMG_7473

IMG_7475

IMG_7476

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Keep it up. Great skills and love that you bring it back to life. Looks like you know how to wrench a little. ..

mtbr member
    Great work, it's always great to see seasoned rigs getting a makeover. I had a similar problem with a set screw rebuilding my fork this winter, stripped 1.5mm Allen doesn't give much room for easyout options! Keep us updated with the rest!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Poloturbo View Post
    Keep it up. Great skills and love that you bring it back to life. Looks like you know how to wrench a little. ..
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle_vk View Post
    Great work, it's always great to see seasoned rigs getting a makeover. I had a similar problem with a set screw rebuilding my fork this winter, stripped 1.5mm Allen doesn't give much room for easyout options! Keep us updated with the rest!
    Thanks for the kind words guys!

The single stage really came out well, waiting for it to fully cure (it's been <70 deg here recently) but, I am second guessing my color choice, too much of one color.... I think I am going to re-spray the lower FSR link arm and the rear shock link white... along with the Fox 32 RLC front fork and get some of their vintage Fox decals...

IMG_7478

IMG_7479

IMG_7480

IMG_7481

Ordered some derailleur pulleys, they were worn pretty bad...

IMG_7483

Slowly getting all components ready to go on frame...

IMG_7482

mtbr member
    Nice work so far. Plan on doing 1x or seat dropper or anything or just keeping it as is?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by He1enKe1ler View Post
    Nice work so far. Plan on doing 1x or seat dropper or anything or just keeping it as is?

I was eying some dropper post on my recent order from Jenson USA... but I didn't pull the trigger yet. I need to get some sticky tires first and I like the idea of cleaning up the front and going with 1x but really wanting to just get it together and muck around on it a bit! Waiting for parts is painful!

Just ordered a short stem, some platforms and rear cassette tools... so ready to ride the itch is KILLING me haha

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    well, you are doing an awesome job, can't wait to see her finished up

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwibami View Post
    well, you are doing an awesome job, can't wait to see her finished up
    Thanks man! Me too

I needed to get away from my desk after work today... I had some 6061 bar stock laying around...so decided to make a bike work stand clamp.

I can mount this to my 80-20 extruded aluminum arm I have at home to make easy fixturing of the bike frame whilst working on it

Cheers

[url=https://flic.kr/p/26uRyLn]IMG_7490[/url

[url=https://flic.kr/p/26uRxJn]IMG_7491[/url

IMG_7494

IMG_7495

turtles make me hot
    Pretty cool. I still have my FSR 29 Stumpjumper fully too. It was originally an 08 in the army green paint job but I cracked the frame and Spesh gave me an 09. I haven't ridden it in quite some time but now my son is about tall enough to ride it so I'm going to put it back together for him.
    It was a great bike. It was my gateway drug into 29ers and modern geometry and disc brakes. Before that, I was riding a 26er Cannondale hardtail for way too many years.
    Last edited by NYrr496; 04-26-2018 at 05:24 PM.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Pretty cool. I still have my FRS 29 Stumpjumper fully too. It was originally an 08 in the army green paint job but I cracked the frame and Spesh gave me an 09. I haven't ridden it in quite some time but now my son is about tall enough to ride it so I'm going to put it back together for him.
    It was a great bike. It was my gateway drug into 29ers and modern geometry and disc brakes. Before that, I was riding a 26er Cannondale hardtail for way too many years.

Thats awesome! Haha well I certainly hope this can be a decent "gateway" bike for me until I get back into shape and maybe pay up for a modern/more slack geometry AM setup.

I made some headway stripping the Fox 32/Talas RLC and prepping for seals...

I am getting so pumped to get it all back together!!

IMG_7508

IMG_7510

IMG_7511

IMG_7512

I am still waiting on a couple more components and bearings to show up... then I am ready to start assembly!!!! WoooHOOOO

IMG_7516

Out spokin'
    Sick! You are doing an amazing job. Such an amazing job in fact that I have to wonder... do you have a job?
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Sick! You are doing an amazing job. Such an amazing job in fact that I have to wonder... do you have a job?
    =sParty
    Yes, keeping us office rat's entertained from 9-5 obviously. Lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    =sParty
    Hahaha thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHolc View Post
    Yes, keeping us office rat's entertained from 9-5 obviously. Lol.
    Of course!!! I’m a fellow desk jockey, Mech. Engineer by trade, but I love getting in the shop and working on things... keeps me sane! That and hitting the trails

turtles make me hot
    Mine has a straight 1 1/8 steerer and I sold the Reba that came on the bike. I looked around and found the X Fusion Slide RL2. Available with a straight steerer and a thru axle.
    Looks like the way to go.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SpazE36 View Post
    The single stage really came out well, waiting for it to fully cure (it's been <70 deg here recently) but, I am second guessing my color choice, too much of one color.... I think I am going to re-spray the lower FSR link arm and the rear shock link white..
    I really like that color. I am sure it will look great in the sunlight. I recommend a new decal kit cut from metallic silver vinyl.

I got lucky and just found the same frame as that with nearly perfect original paint.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looking good!

When you get those bearings make sure to confirm that they are topped off with grease. Many sets come underfilled, making sure they are full will help them survive a bit longer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Mine has a straight 1 1/8 steerer and I sold the Reba that came on the bike. I looked around and found the X Fusion Slide RL2. Available with a straight steerer and a thru axle.
    Looks like the way to go.
    I am not against getting another fork but I'm doing a rebuild on the old Fox Talas 140 RLC... I emailed Fox service and got seals and fluids. going to see if I can salvage this old fork and make it work at least for a couple seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by MudSnow View Post
    I really like that color. I am sure it will look great in the sunlight. I recommend a new decal kit cut from metallic silver vinyl.

I agree... I have seen some spesh graphic kits on ebay. Where else could I find said decals?

I got lucky and just found the same frame as that with nearly perfect original paint.
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    Looking good!

When you get those bearings make sure to confirm that they are topped off with grease. Many sets come underfilled, making sure they are full will help them survive a bit longer.
    I appreciate the wisdom...I will pop seals off and top them off before I install them into frame.

I am going to be working towards getting the bike together this week. I was out of town for a couple of days... still waiting for new short stem, cane creek head set and Chromag OSX Fubars...oh and some Magic Mary's to mount !! Getting close!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    Looking good!

Man, good call on giving me advise to check bearings... they were all pretty parched. I popped off seals and packed them up.

IMG_7594

IMG_7593

Getting new bearings pressed into frame and susp. links....

IMG_7596

Got some goodies in the mail yesterday yeyee!!! Some 780 fubars

IMG_7587

Almost all components are either rebuilt/or delivered if new... Still waiting on my set of Magic Marys to show up. I will have all evening tonight in the shop so it sounds like a perfect Friday night putting it all together....

IMG_7590

I had to at least stick the new headset and stem + bars on it to see how the colors look... I went with gold on the bars and green grips and flats... ready to see it all come together now.

IMG_7591

IMG_7601

turtles make me hot
    Sad what becomes a perfect Friday night when you're into bikes and get older. I remember when Friday night meant getting a nice dinner, having a couple drinks and getting laid. Now, we build bikes and wheels.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nice work...great to have access to 'big boy' tools like Bridgeport's, milling machines, etc! There's very few bike shops that could hold a candle to what you are doing to refurbish that FSR. Thanks for sharing progress...cool stuff!
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

Out spokin'
    Sad what becomes a perfect Friday night when you're into bikes and get older. I remember when Friday night meant getting a nice dinner, having a couple drinks and getting laid. Now, we build bikes and wheels.
    Speak for yourself, NYrr496 LOL!

Hey SpazE36, you are doing such a fine restoration job that you'll be able to sell that bike as new whenever you're finished. Except you won't want to part with it -- it's fine, too fine! Thanks for documenting the process. Absolutely inspiring.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Haha I agree man, a lazy night in the shop wrenching with some bluegrass and ipa, and supper with the wife is a perfect night by my book now.

Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    Nice work...great to have access to 'big boy' tools like Bridgeport's, milling machines, etc! There's very few bike shops that could hold a candle to what you are doing to refurbish that FSR. Thanks for sharing progress...cool stuff!
    Speak for yourself, NYrr496 LOL!

Hey SpazE36, you are doing such a fine restoration job that you'll be able to sell that bike as new whenever you're finished. Except you won't want to part with it -- it's fine, too fine! Thanks for documenting the process. Absolutely inspiring.
    =sParty

Thanks so much guys, I really enjoy giving neglected stuff a new lease on life.

I was able to make decent progress this weekend, although UPS rescheduled the shipment of my Magic Mary's from Jenson... I am still awaiting their delivery.

Pics of progress...

Got all new bearings in frame and frame assembled... really digging the two- tone blue and white. I am glad I didn't leave everything blue when I first sprayed it.

IMG_7620

IMG_7622

IMG_7624

IMG_7625

New stainless hardware and pads for the Juicy 7's...

Before....
    IMG_7505

After....

IMG_7654

Getting rear shimano bearings cleaned and re-greased, awaiting new tires...

IMG_7656

IMG_7657

Just getting my balls clean....

IMG_7658

Hopefully tires will be delivered today and I can get this thing on a test ride.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Tires were delivered yesterday!!

To do list...
    - Still awaiting delivery of new decals :/
    - Tidy up cable routing
    - Install new chain
    - Get air shocks dialed in... I am 6' and weigh about 205lb

From what literature I have read the following is a general starting point:
    Front Fox Talas RLC - 1 psi per weight of rider (in kg) ... 93psi
    Rear Fox/Specialized AFR Brain Shock - 200-210psi for ~200lb rider

A
    re these decent starting points?

I am curious as to how this frame and components will stand up to a 200# aggressive rider... we shall see

But for now at least it's standing on its own two feet, well it's own two wheels.

Cheers

IMG_7660

IMG_7661

IMG_7664

IMG_7666

IMG_7667

turtles make me hot
    Very cool. I wish I could remember any of the shock settings but I haven't ridden mine in forever.
    That bike should handle 200 pounds fine. I weigh about 260 and mine survived. I did ruin the rear hub though.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

From what literature I have read the following is a general starting point:
    Front Fox Talas RLC - 1 psi per weight of rider (in kg) ... 93psi
    Rear Fox/Specialized AFR Brain Shock - 200-210psi for ~200lb rider

A
    re these decent starting points?
    I have a 2009 Stumpy (now belongs to my son), but when I rode it, the rear shock was close to my body weight in lbs (I'm a clyde...about 240lbs) and the fork was, IIRC, somewhere between 70 and 80 psi, but I had the standard Fox Float.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    I've been watching. First comments. You missed something. You need to fix the ODI grip cap on the right grip as it's not horizontal. Are you trying to drive me crazy?!!

Maybe I missed a section above, I'll have to re-skim but how hard was it to source parts and rebuild the fork and shock. Those were highly proprietary as I recall, Specialized labeled, ASR manufactured was it? I'm curious because my neighbor has a 2009 Enduro that is in pristine factory condition he rode for a couple years and stashed it. I'll likely be rebuilding his suspension as he's talking about breaking it out, again.

Entire project looks really, really nice. Well done and impressive. Right up my alley. Since you went away from "factory color scheme" I think that qualifies it for custom status and not vintage resto status so with that, DEAR GOD, MAN...GET RID OF THOSE BRAKES AND PUT SOME SHIMANO XT'S ON IT!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    I've been watching. First comments. You missed something. You need to fix the ODI grip cap on the right grip as it's not horizontal. Are you trying to drive me crazy?!!

Maybe I missed a section above, I'll have to re-skim but how hard was it to source parts and rebuild the fork and shock. Those were highly proprietary as I recall, Specialized labeled, ASR manufactured was it? I'm curious because my neighbor has a 2009 Enduro that is in pristine factory condition he rode for a couple years and stashed it. I'll likely be rebuilding his suspension as he's talking about breaking it out, again.

Entire project looks really, really nice. Well done and impressive. Right up my alley. Since you went away from "factory color scheme" I think that qualifies it for custom status and not vintage resto status so with that, DEAR GOD, MAN...GET RID OF THOSE BRAKES AND PUT SOME SHIMANO XT'S ON IT!!!
    Haha I'll get right on that and fix the grip-cap! And you are totally correct about the freaking brakes... read below -_-

The air shocks... the front is just an old Fox 32 Talas 100-140 (Adj. in 3mm increments.)

The rear is the Spesh "Brain"...

On both of these I simply did fluids and the forks I did enduro 32 wiper seal kit. I did not want to drop much into these components as I would likely change out. I just wanted to get it on the trail an see where I was.....

And I was able to do just that last night... that good and the bad -_-

Shock pump came in the mail yesterday, I set sag, loaded up my wife's little kona and my bike for a quick ride...

32190925_10104166019211267_1587152288894418944_o

So the wife and I went out for about a 6 mile loop yesterday evening... I understand now why guys run front small fender when running sticky aggressive tires, I felt like I ate gravel for an hour and 30 minutes.

The bad...

1- The 1 1/8" fork tube has been cut too short as I would like to space the stem up to get up and back in my riding position. There is no room to add spacers( I should have ordered higher rise bars)...

2- I came off a fairly high drop in ~7' and was a little nose heavy and the front fork took a smashing and made a pretty loud air noise... it now will slowly weep down while riding to almost bottom-ing out. I can pull weight off of fork and it comes back up, checked air pressure and it's at 100psi still...

Looks like I will be finding another fork...

3- The STUPID juicy sevens rear caliper piston decided to lock up 3 miles out... so if I stopped pedaling the rear tire would almost skid -_-. It was a nice workout on the way back to the truck. I will NOT be riding anymore, no matter how short of a ride, without my back pack and tools. And I will be getting some shimano's.

mtbr member
    i had some Juicy 3 brakes, things were pos! in the heat, theyld lock up my wheel. id had to pour cold water on them or let them cool down

took them to my LBS, they said people bring those brakes in all the time. they could fix them, but theyre a shitty design, and will act up again. apparently theres a part inside them that would swell in the heat, and lock em up

Shimano brakes are supposed to be really reliable, easy to bleed and inexpensive

your work is killer tho!

mtbr member
    Great job...I was gonna say something about my 'Juicy' experience too. I never had them lock up on me but they were just a pain to deal with compared to Shimano's. You don't need to spend extra money on XT...Deores are great too. Get the little bleed kit with connectors and funnel and you're good to go.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Been keeping up with this project, seems like just a few bugs to work out, Impressive Sir.

mtbr member
    Haha I'll get right on that and fix the grip-cap! And you are totally correct about the freaking brakes... read below -_-

3- The STUPID juicy sevens rear caliper piston decided to lock up 3 miles out... so if I stopped pedaling the rear tire would almost skid -_-. It was a nice workout on the way back to the truck. I will NOT be riding anymore, no matter how short of a ride, without my back pack and tools. And I will be getting some shimano's.
    Yeah that cap was bothering me too....

Great build by the way..

My juicy's did that on the way home on my "maiden" ride after my rebuild too. I just pulled the pads out and rode home without rear brakes...seemed to work at the time.

You won't regret new brakes. I did new xt's and Icetech (sp) rotors. They are WAAAYYY better than my old juicy's, which were from 2005. I am over 200 as well and threw the 8020's and a 203mm rotor up front. Had always run 185's.

Also note.... my caps are straight....lol.

Love the build. It's been a fun read.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009 Stumpy FSR - Refurbish-heckler-brakes.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Similar experience with the jucies as well. Apparently the dot fluid will out gas a bit and pressurize the line causing dragging or worse.

If you don't feel like replacing them my quick fix was to remove the line, hold upright and let some fluid drip out. The better solution is to bleed, but place the brake fluid in a syringe, cap it and pull back on the plunger. This reduces pressure and allows the fluid to out gas before it goes in the system. You should notice gas bubbles forming if you do it properly.

Or the less frustrating solution is to move to Shimano.

Rides like a girl
    Feb 2015
    Fantastic documentation and tale! Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like those Juicy brakes are helping you get back in shape.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I don’t have any ‘action shots… but I had an awesome camping weekend. Perfect weekend in the mountains camping, fishin, and riding!

Camping “redneck” style haha

If you notice the rear wheel doesn’t match… I had to pick up a new one last weekend after I taco’d the rear wheel dropping into a decent sized gap. I believe I need a little more bike for my riding style but I am hoping this old stumpy lasts a little while for me.

IMG_7812

One of the best ways to wake up… by a sleepy trout stream in the mountains

IMG_7815

And I had one of my biggest catches ever… 21” almost 3#

IMG_7831

turtles make me hot
    Very nice!
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Nice rebuild and nice fish! Fly fishing?