mtbr member
    Apr 2013

2009 Marzocchi 55 ATA on Norco Six 2

I currently have a Jamis Komodo 3.0 I ride SS, and am looking to upgrade to an all mountain bike. I found this listing the other day, but am worried about the fork.

2009 Norco Six II Large Freeride/All Mountain 160mm

My ride right now has a Marzocchi Bomber fork that is older, but works well for me and is fairly plush (never bottomed out), works well, but is heavy. Would I be able to swap out the forks then sell my current ride for a decent value, or will the Marzocchi 55 ATA drop the value of the bike? There have been some bad reviews about possible defects on the fork, so I am worried I may not be able to sell it if I decide to go that route.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    OR here is my alternative if that doesn't work, and maybe you guys could help out on this one.

Intense UZZI VPX Frame

Intense Uzzi VPX frame, I could part out my current bike and build up this one potentially? Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Heres 2 more frames and another bike option. Looking to spend under 500$ (Selling my bike would put me at about 800 $ total, but for a good deal like the norco it might be worth a bit more).

Rocky mnt. Full suspension

Turner 5 Spot Frame - Medium - Horst Link

2006 Like New Brodie Libido 17" frame with extras full suspension

Looking for a bike I can do trail riding with, there is about a 20 mile long trail i like to ride that is mostly small hills/flat, (so reasonably light), but can still handle the downhill stuff. My current Marzocchi Bomber, though I dont remember which one, has atleast 150mm travel on it. I just dont know enough about the frames to know what would work well for the best deal. The rocky mountain above looks very interesting, and probably the cheapest option. Anything helps! Thanks

mtbr member
    I paid less than that for my six2 with a extra set of ready to go wheel's and tires, Fox 36vanilla RC2 and a Fox DHX5.0 in back.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If you can believe the ad, then the Brodie is in the best condition, you should buy that one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Maybe this is a noob question, but what is the floating rear brake it is talking about to reduce pedal bobbing? To my knowledge the rear shock it comes with doesn't have lockout, so it would be nice to know (though I wont be doing much uphill, so im not terribly worried about it).

Im pretty sure I know what you mean by "if you can believe the add," but I assume that you mean that it wasnt ridden off road. How can I tell if the frame itself is in good shape? I have checked bikes based on guides here, but havent seen one on a frame before (typically I check for cracks by pushing sideway/down on the cranks and listen for cracking.).

I really like the look of the frame, just may need some help knowing what to look for (apart from obvious dents/cracks in frame itself that I know to look for).

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    All I meant was "buyer beware" if it sounds too good to be true...It could be a great frame but it's old and old stuff that hasn't been ridden is still old and has a shorter life...You are at an information disadvantage and you can't ride the bike. Take a magnifying glass and flash light and rag, and clean everything and check for cracks in the frame. Any sticker that doesn't belong, remove it to see if there's a crack underneath...I am not sure how you would check the bearings for play since it isn't attached to anything...

Article explains floating brake
    Disc Brake Mountain Bike Gear Tips | Bicycling Magazine

Santa Cruz video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbLaTGfZMb0

Probably a few below who could have used one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jQjvrZ5KL4

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    dude at 4:40 is the best...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So from what I have read/seen the floating rear brake is that third rod looking thing along the chainstay?

I know about bottom brackets because I did some research previously, and I already emailed the guy and it appears as though my bb will fit, meaning my cranks + pedals and everything will fit as well. I was just curious if there were any details about the headtube that I should be worried about, whether or not my front fork, the marzocchi bomber, will fit? Do I need to collect any measurements from him to make sure that it will fit? Or are there any other measurements I would need (my wheels are 26, so I know they will fit, and I may need new tires because mine are 2.3" and I know that is rather large).

Thanks for all the help guys

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    What's wrong with the 55? The issue with the Suntour damper is exclusive to the r model. ATA should be dual air. Even on the r, it's nice and plush once that Suntour damper is converted to open bath.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrossefreak17 View Post
    So from what I have read/seen the floating rear brake is that third rod looking thing along the chainstay?

I know about bottom brackets because I did some research previously, and I already emailed the guy and it appears as though my bb will fit, meaning my cranks + pedals and everything will fit as well. I was just curious if there were any details about the headtube that I should be worried about, whether or not my front fork, the marzocchi bomber, will fit? Do I need to collect any measurements from him to make sure that it will fit? Or are there any other measurements I would need (my wheels are 26, so I know they will fit, and I may need new tires because mine are 2.3" and I know that is rather large).

Thanks for all the help guys
    The lenght of the steerer tube on your fork has to be long enough to fit thorugh the head tube on the new frame and stick out the other side. It has to stick out far enough to allow one spacer and your stem to fit on to the steerer tube. Also, if you have a staight steerer tube, 1 1/8" diameter, e.g., then the head tube diameter has to match. If it doesn't match you may be able to get a headset and crown race for the fork that will make it fit, usually you can but it depends on the frame and the fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Also, when you stick the fork steerer tube through the head tube it has to extend enough so that the stem extends a little beyond the steerer tube with at least one spacer. If the stem sits flush against the end of the steerer tube you won't get the pre-load you need for the headset bearings.

If the frame seat tube is different diameter then you may need a new seatpost or a shim to make the old seatpost fit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    To tk1971 - Here is the MTBR reviews on this fork. I read through briefly and saw that a lot of people had problems, and for a 600$ fork I don't think it should be having such problems. Marzocchi 55 ATA 2009 Forks Reviews - Mtbr.com

To cjsb - The seat tube isn't much of a problem to me because those tend to be fairly inexpensive. Is there a way to tell the headtube/steerer tube length/diameter without pulling the bike apart and taking a ruler to it, or rather bringing the fork along with me and seeing if it fits through with a stem? I tried to find the measurements online but wasn't able to.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Also, maybe this is just me but it seems like the welds are extremely thick. Is that a brodie "trademark" kind of thing to make the bike stronger, or what? Maybe it is just the photos but if its not typical it could be signs of a crack trying to be covered up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    To tk1971 - Here is the MTBR reviews on this fork. I read through briefly and saw that a lot of people had problems, and for a 600$ fork I don't think it should be having such problems. Marzocchi 55 ATA 2009 Forks Reviews - Mtbr.com

To cjsb - The seat tube isn't much of a problem to me because those tend to be fairly inexpensive. Is there a way to tell the headtube/steerer tube length/diameter without pulling the bike apart and taking a ruler to it, or rather bringing the fork along with me and seeing if it fits through with a stem? I tried to find the measurements online but wasn't able to.
    Here's a link to your fork. I don't see it stated but it looks like a 1 1/8" steerer tube, I could be wrong. You can measure the diametrer of the steerer tube to check. Also, you could check the headset on your current bike to see if the measurements are stamped on it somewhere?

Tenneco Marzocchi Suspension - 2009 forks - 55 ATA Micro

The ad. for the Brodie says "Cane Creek Double X 1.5 Headset" so assume that the headtube is 1.5". if that's the case then you will need an adapter type headset if your fork steerer tube is 1 1/8". You can get these through Cane Creek.

The welds may be thicker or gusseted given that the bike is made to take a lot of abuse, that would be normal.

Do you really want a frame like this? That Turner you had posted is a totally different type of bike for different riding. The Brodie is going to be a heavy freeride frame.

I don't know why a guy has a frame that is claimed to have been ridden only in a parking lot, and it's a freeride frame, and then sits for 9 years, but the pictures are nice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I looked up your Jamis for 2006, 2007 and it says 1 1/8" headset. If that is true for your bike then your fork won't fit the Brodie without an adapter type headset.

2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0 - BikePedia

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Okay that is very helpful thanks. Do you have any idea how much the adapter for the headset? I am guessing that this is what I am looking for, though I am not sure if I would need the 1.5 " or 1 1/8". My lbs could probably help with this. How about the steerer tube length? How will I know if it fits that bike?

I am looking for all mountain, but price wise this is best deal and I am going to do some of everything, but less of the uphill. Mostly longer flat rides (20miles or so), DH, and some lighter Free ride. I currently ride a SS so while it will be heavier I think I wont have much trouble with it, unless you have some other opinion?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    You'll have to go to Cane Creek's web site and email thwir customer service. Tell the frame you want to put it on and the headset that is on the frame and the fork you want to use and the steerer tube diameter of your for, e.g., 1 1/8" straight.

They may email you back and say it won't work, but if it will work they will tell you what you need.

In terms of the length of the steerer tube, just get a tape measure and measure it from base where the steerer tube meets the crown of the fork (you should see a flat metal disc there that is called the crown race) to the end of the steerer tube.

Just me, but it seems like a heavy, old one dimensional frame. But for you it my work, your Jamis sounds like heavy pig for a hard tail and you ride it single speed, so you obviously have the kegs for a heavy bike. This would definitely be a better frame for DH and free ride than the Turner and if that's your style then this is a better fit.

Just keep in mind that it is an old frame and there might not be anyone else interested in it, so don't go paying their asking price in a hurry. The swing arm could break after a few drops and would you rather be out $350 or $250?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    This posting just came up.
    Trek EX6 Frame and suspension
    Do you think that it could work better for me? I get the impression from others that the DH park isn't to crazy, I think I would need just 5" of travel or more. And I don't FR a ton, just some jumps and stuff you might see in a park, nothing huge. The only questions is again on the rear suspension.. quite a few bad reviews on it. Any advice on that? This also comes with a front fork (though service is kinda spendy)

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    This posting just came up.
    Trek EX6 Frame and suspension
    Do you think that it could work better for me? I get the impression from others that the DH park isn't to crazy, I think I would need just 5" of travel or more. And I don't FR a ton, just some jumps and stuff you might see in a park, nothing huge. The only questions is again on the rear suspension.. quite a few bad reviews on it. Any advice on that? This also comes with a front fork (though service is kinda spendy)
    For that kind of riding why not checkout that Turner.

I don't have an opinion on the Trek. You couldn't get $500 for the suspension as claimed, he doesn't know the fork except that it needs service.

I have a 2011 fox fork and it was one of the many with a foam ring on the air spring that had to be replaced with a scraper seal, the fork really sucked until that was fixed. From the ad. It wouldn't surprise me if it has been ridden real hard.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Turner looks like it sold, as well as the Uzzi frame unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Perhaps I missed these before, but it looks like the brodie dimensions wont work with the parts I have, which sends me to look at other options, and found these. Any comments on either? The nomad doesnt have much information, but it sure looks good.

2007-2008 Santa Cruz Heckler Medium - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories
    Santa Cruz Nomad Full Suspension Mountain Bike - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Heckler is nice but olg. The Nomad soundslike a scam.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Other thoughts. You need to go out and see these bikes before theyare gone. I assume you have limited budget, good used bikes won't last too long, but at least it looks like Portland has a solid used market. Hecklers and Turners seem like solid options even if older if they are in good condition.