mtbr member
    Apr 2010

2009 Jamis Dakota Sport- All mountain bike?

Ok, so i have a 2009 Jamis Dakota Sport. I'll just make it short and simple and not give you a bunch of info you don't need. Do you think it would make a good all mountain bike? I've had it for about 8 months and i'm ready to upgrade.

It's a 17 in frame. If i put the right components on it, would it make a good AM bike?
    Also what are the major things to change?
    I'm thinking shorter stem, different fork and different wheels.
    I want a bashgaurd on the crankset but i don't understand the sizing on them and my LBS doesn't know a bike from a scooter.....

So any feedback is welcomed. If the frame itself just plain jane isn't gonna work then let me know, even though it seems pretty damn built.

Thanks- Odin

usually cranky
    it will be fine. dont feel like you need to upgrade your bike to fit into a catagory.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ok thanks, i just wanna make sure that the frame will be fine mainly. I always rode my friend's Marin Rift zone or something like that. Nice dual suspension, fox shox front and rear, mavic wheels, hydro disc brakes.

it came time that i needed something of my own, so i got a deal on this i couldnt pass up. I got it for $400, and my budget was $1000, so i got $600 for upgrades

usually cranky
    its not a bad bike by any stretch but you should have done better for 1000. dont buy a bike and plan on upgrading. get the most bike for your money and change little things to make it suit you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Could have done better for 1000, yes, but i got it for 400 and i dont think i could have done better for 400 haha.

But i get what your saying, i did grips and pedals, and im looking at a shorter stem. I love the seat on this bike.

It's just the wheels on this bike- Alex DP 17's- are junk. Even when i would ride the fire roads they would need to be trued. I'm looking for wheels first as a major upgrade.
    The next thing is the fork is a tora 302.....it's nice and plush but not very adjustable, so i am looking at an air fork

Any suggestions would be great.

usually cranky
    well if you have $600 to toss around id get some hope hoops and a rs recon. that will make it a pretty nice bike for the cash you spent.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    how about a Marzocchi 44 Rlo? i like the RS recon, but which recon haha there are a lot of them.

usually cranky
    2010 on 44's should be ok. be vary wary of 08 and 09 zocchi. i would still get a recon. if you are set on air get a recon race but i think the feel of coil cant be beat. if you go that way grab a recon 351. i wouldnt put over 120mm travel on there, ideally keeping it 100 or 110mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    OK, i think i'll look at the coil recon, the reviews look pretty good, and i like the reliability of a coil more than air. Also i don't want too much travel either, i dont really need it and it'll screw up my bike geometry. It sounds like the recon's adjustments make a difference so i'll get that. My tora 302 has preload adjustment and rebound. Rebound is noticeable but preload not as much. The recon is also in the same price range has the zocchi 44.

Thanks for the help!!