mtbr member
    Jul 2011

2009 Diamondback Mission 1 26 FS or Access 9.5 XCL 29er HT for a Newbie?

Hello all,

Another Newbie here. Trying to decide where to start.

I do not have a reference point on 26" vs 29er because I really haven't ever ridden a real trail on a bike. No habits one way or the other. This is a new hobby I am picking up with some friends. If it matters, I am 5'9 and about 175lbs. I am in North Texas where everyone says full suspension is not necessary for our trails. I have read all about 29ers and really like the physics behind them versus the 26, but once again the DB and the components seem to be an amazing deal and this bike seems to get great reviews used on non technical trails. It isn't a light bike, but neither is 29ers in my price range. DB FS is just tempting with these components at that price right?

Ideally, I am would like to find a user 29er HT with a front suspension, gears, and disc brakes for $400 or less. Anymore than that I might as well by one of the 2 bikes below with full warranty from authorized local LBS right?

I listed the components for both in the hopes that you guys could tell me if one has far superior components than the other and give me your opinion on which route I should go.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...7#ReviewHeader

2011 Access XCL 9.5 29er Mountain Bike - $700 plus tax.

BOTTOM BRACKET: Cartridge, steel
    BRAKES: Avid BB5 disc brake w/ caliper, alloy, 185mm front, 160mm rear
    CASSETTE: Sunrace , 9-speed, 11-32T
    CHAIN: KMC HG73. 1/2" 11/128" 106L
    CRANKSET: TruVativ 5D 3.0, 22/32T
    FORK: Rock Shox Dart 3 29", 100mm of travel w/ TurnKey lockout
    FRAME: 6061 Aluminum
    FRONT DERAILLEUR: SRAM X.5
    GRIPS/TAPE: WTB DC Trail Grip
    HANDLEBAR: Alloy, 620mm, 6 degree, 25mm rise
    HEADSET: Cane Creek Semi-Integrated, caged bearing w/ top cap
    LEVERS: Avid FR-5, SLV bracket, alloy
    PEDALS: Wellgo LU-C25 w/ boron axle
    REAR DERAILLEUR: SRAM X.5 long cage w/out bracket
    REAR SHOCK: NA
    SADDLE: Velo
    SEATPOST: FSA SP-SL-280, 31.6mm, 350L
    SHIFTERS: SRAM X.5 Trigger
    STEM: Forged Alloy 4-bolt; 31.8mm, EXT:15"=90mm, 17"=100mm, 19"=110mm, 21/23"=120mm
    TIRES: GEAX Saguaro 29R, 29 X 2.2, Kevlar bead
    WHEELSET: Rims: WTB SpeedDisc All MTN 29"; Hubs: CNC alloy, disc, sealed, 32H

http://www.diamondback.com/bikes/mtn.../mission-1-09/

2009 Diamondback Mission 1 - $800 plus Tax.

Frame
    Mission All Mountain 6" Aluminum w/ Hooded Hydroformed Top Tube, Butted / Formed Down Tube / Seatstays, Under Arch Seatstay bridge, Knuckle Box Technology, ISCG, Hammerschmidt Ready
    Fork
    Fox Vanilla R 140mm travel, coil spring w/ext. pre-load / rebound adj., hollow forged crown
    Rear Shock
    Fox Float RP2 200x51mm Air w/ rebound adj, 2
    Cranks
    Truvativ Blaze PowerSpline 3.1 AL-66 arms, AL-7075 aluminum outer ring, 22/32/44t
    Bottom Bracket
    Truvativ Power Spline Sealed Cartridge
    F. Derailleur
    Shimano Deore dual pull, top swing
    R. Derailleur
    SRAM X-7
    Shifter
    SRAM X-5 9spd trigger
    Brake Levers
    Hayes Stroker - Ryde
    Brakes
    Hayes Stroker Ryde Hydraulic V7" frt / V6" rear Rotors
    Gear
    SRAM PG-950 9spd Cassette (11-34t)
    Rims
    32h Sun Ditch Witch w/ Eyelets
    Tires
    WTB Prowler MX 2.3 frt, Stout 2.3 rear, Folding
    Pedals
    DB Sound Alloy w/ molded traction pins
    Handlebar
    Easton EA30 MidRise 31.8mm
    Stem
    Easton EA30 31.8mm
    Seatpost
    DB SL309p Alloy Micro Adjust 30.9mm
    Seat
    WTB Pure V Sport
    Headset
    Zero Stack 1 1/8"
    Colors
    Gloss RED
    Chain
    SRAM PC-971
    Hubset
    (F) 32h Alloy w/ CNC Disc Mount (R) 32h Alloy Cassette w/ CNC Disc mount
    Spokes
    Black 14g Stainless Steel
    Grips
    DB Brics 130mm D2 Kraton
    Extras
    DB Key Chain, Owner’s manual / Mission owner's manual cover, Chainstay Protector, Clear Coat, H20 bottle mounts

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009 Diamondback Mission 1 26 FS or Access 9.5 XCL 29er HT for a Newbie?-d09_mission2.jpg  

2009 Diamondback Mission 1 26 FS or Access 9.5 XCL 29er HT for a Newbie?-30-2649-slt-side.jpg  

mtbr member
    The mission- no contest

mtbr member
    if you like descending, Mission 1. If you like climbing, the other one. Mission 1 is not a featherweight. likely around 34lbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Biker View Post
    if you like descending, Mission 1. If you like climbing, the other one. Mission 1 is not a featherweight. likely around 34lbs.
    The thing is, I don't know what I like. Not tons of big descending in North Texas - Dallas Area, I am completely new to this. The access, being a low end 29er, is a 31lb bike think.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mc4nam View Post
    The thing is, I don't know what I like. Not tons of big descending in North Texas - Dallas Area, I am completely new to this. The access, being a low end 29er, is a 31lb bike think.
    How much is the Mission, and is it new?

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    Mission. It's in the 'all mountain' category, so unless you're going to race, this would be your 'one bike' to do it all. You can take the Mission on shuttled downhill runs with one set of friends one day, and go on an epic cross-country ride the next.

Depending on how old you are, full suspension characteristics will save you some aches and pains from the shock of a hardtail. A hardtail does force you to learn how to be a smoother rider; but the learning curve is steeper than a full suspension because the FS is more forgiving.

The Mission also comes with a Fox RP2 shock, which has a ProPedal platform switch that will be a semi-lockout and turn your Mission into a hardtail until you really need the suspension. Perfect for climbing.

Parts spec alone make the Mission way better than the XCL. So what if you don't "need" a FS for Dallas trails. If you ever venture away from Dallas, you may find a use for that suspension. Plus riding urban-assault and stairs can be fun too.
    My Trifecta: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC70, eBay Carbon Hardtail

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I started out on a DB Recoil comp, DB makes good bikes good full suspension bikes, IMHO. My LBS here in NW Arizona, sells allot of DB Missions, the frames are very stout. 800 dollars sounds like a great deal to me.

Swedetarded
    I would take the Mission. It seems like a much better deal. Plus, it does come with a keychain!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertr View Post
    How much is the Mission, and is it new?
    $800 plus tax. Brand New from an authorized dealer. 2009 bike. They will take a loss to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by vaelin View Post
    Mission. It's in the 'all mountain' category, so unless you're going to race, this would be your 'one bike' to do it all. You can take the Mission on shuttled downhill runs with one set of friends one day, and go on an epic cross-country ride the next.

Depending on how old you are, full suspension characteristics will save you some aches and pains from the shock of a hardtail. A hardtail does force you to learn how to be a smoother rider; but the learning curve is steeper than a full suspension because the FS is more forgiving.

The Mission also comes with a Fox RP2 shock, which has a ProPedal platform switch that will be a semi-lockout and turn your Mission into a hardtail until you really need the suspension. Perfect for climbing.

Parts spec alone make the Mission way better than the XCL. So what if you don't "need" a FS for Dallas trails. If you ever venture away from Dallas, you may find a use for that suspension. Plus riding urban-assault and stairs can be fun too.
    Good Points. I am pushing 40.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbigisbudgood View Post
    I would take the Mission. It seems like a much better deal. Plus, it does come with a keychain!
    Keychain pushes it over the top! Thanks

mtbr member

Go with the mission!

I have that same DB Mission and I live in North Texas. Trust me, it is a blast to ride. Sure, the suspension may be a little overkill for this area. But it doesn't limit your options like the 29er. You can ride it xc one day, and the take it to Angelfire Bike Park the next day. Very versatile ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by grantw9066 View Post

I have that same DB Mission and I live in North Texas. Trust me, it is a blast to ride. Sure, the suspension may be a little overkill for this area. But it doesn't limit your options like the 29er. You can ride it xc one day, and the take it to Angelfire Bike Park the next day. Very versatile ride.
    Thanks! Have you had any problems with it? Major Maintenance issues? Do you take it somewhere locally for maintenance?

mtbr member
    Thanks! Have you had any problems with it? Major Maintenance issues? Do you take it somewhere locally for maintenance?
    My main pivot bolt backed out a bit. Easy fix though. Blue Loc-tite and torqued to spec. No other problems.Some of the guys on the Diamondback forum have had some problems with the frame cracking at the point where the knucklbox linkage attaches to the downtube, but I think they were pushing it past its' intended usage. Diamondback stood behind their product and replaced the frames. I do most of my own maintenance, but if I can't handle it, I take it to Bluebonnet Bikes in Lewisville. It is relatively close to where I live.

mtbr member
    $800 plus tax. Brand New from an authorized dealer. 2009 bike. They will take a loss to get rid of it.
    WOW! Great price for a new bike. Do they have any more? Please PM a contact information for the shop.

mtbr member
    My friend has one of those Performance Access 29ers and they're flexy as a wet noodle. I'm talking entire front triangle flex. He can sit on it and shake his bars and the whole bike just shimmies left to right. I can't recommend this bike on that alone. I'd go with the Diamondback. It's a MUCH better deal than that Access with those parts. If you want to go the 29er HT route, try to find a 2011 or 2010 Trek Mamba. You should be able to find some deals on it since 2012 models are around the corner. That's probably the best deal around your price range. I have the higher model X-Caliber and it's a great bike.

That being said, you'll typically get a lot better and friendlier answers for these types of questions in the "Beginner's Corner" section of the forums. Just a thought since you'll probably have a few questions if you're new to mountain biking. There are a lot of good people in that forum that will help you with any newbie questions.
    Last edited by BaeckerX1; 08-03-2011 at 09:37 AM.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    My friend has one of those Performance Access 29ers and they're flexy as a wet noodle. I'm talking entire front triangle flex. He can sit on it and shake his bars and the whole bike just shimmies left to right. I can't recommend this bike on that alone. I'd go with the Diamondback. It's a MUCH better deal than that Access with those parts. If you want to go the 29er HT route, try to find a 2011 or 2010 Trek Mamba. You should be able to find some deals on it since 2012 models are around the corner. That's probably the best deal around your price range. I have the higher model X-Caliber and it's a great bike.

That being said, you'll typically get a lot better and friendlier answers for these types of questions in the "Beginner's Corner" section of the forums. Just a thought since you'll probably have a few questions if you're new to mountain biking. There are a lot of good people in that forum that will help you with any newbie questions.
    Thanks! I will probably post this in Beginners Corner also. Hopefully Mods don't crush me!

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    I dunno, I think we were pretty friendly and gave him the necessary advice.
    My Trifecta: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC70, eBay Carbon Hardtail

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Everyone was very friendly and helpful! Thanks

mtbr member
    True, which is a surprising change for the AM forum.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB