Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4

    2008 Trance X0 Fork Upgrade Help

    Hey guys and gals.

    I'm new to the forum and relatively new to mountain biking in general, so please bear with me as I get up to speed on all of the mountain biking lingo.

    I recently picked up a stock 2008 Trance X0. I love the look and feel of the bike and I wanted something lighter that pedals well for the uphills and the occasional long distance trek, so the trance seemed like a good fit. That being said, I live in Whistler BC and as is the case my style of riding is going to be very much all mountain/gnarly technical single track type of stuff, so I really don't think that this stock Fox F120RL is going to cut it for me. My previous bike had a Fox Talus 36, so this new fork feels pretty weak in comparison!

    Current Setup - Stock 2008 Trance X0:
    SIZE L (20)
    FORK Fox 32 F120RL, 120mm travel
    SHOCK Fox Float RP23
    BRAKES Avid Juicy 7, Disc 180F/160R
    RIMS/HUBS Mavic CrossMax ST

    Now, I've done a lot of reading on here in regards to people upgrading their Trance's to bigger/adjustable front forks with seemingly glorious results, so my question isn't so much about if it can be done or fork to get (but by all means shoot me your recommendation if you have one), but rather it's in regards to how it is done. More specifically in regards to matching up the fork dropouts, hubs, axles, discs, wheels etc... I am a bit confused by the whole quick release, through axle, dropout terminology.

    So basically I am wondering what I am going to have to do in order to upgrade my fork. Will I need new hubs or will I be able to outfit this puppy with a fork that will fit my existing setup? Are quick release and through axles interchangeable? ie this stock setup has 9mm quick release, so does that mean I can get a Fox 32 Talas with 9mm dropouts and put it on without changing anything else?

    The terms quick release and through axle refer to the hubs correct? As opposed to the fork dropout which if sized properly is interchangeable with quick release or through axle hubs? Am I pointed in the right direction here?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,905
    if you get a 9mm qr fork, you can just toss it on and ride away.

    your other option is a stiffer 20mm axle fork, in which case you'd need a new front wheel.

    i think a 145mm nixon would be fun on a trance x. the nixon has as short axle to crown measurement for its travel, and they're cheap.. you also cant go wrong with a pike. a 140mm manitou minute might be fun too.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    if you get a 9mm qr fork, you can just toss it on and ride away.

    your other option is a stiffer 20mm axle fork, in which case you'd need a new front wheel.

    i think a 145mm nixon would be fun on a trance x. the nixon has as short axle to crown measurement for its travel, and they're cheap.. you also cant go wrong with a pike. a 140mm manitou minute might be fun too.

    Thanks for the reply. In hindsight this might have been a bit obvious, but I'm still piecing it all together in my head :P

    So with this wheelset, I have to get a 9mm QR specific fork. I have read elsewhere that a 9mm through axle doesn't actually exist anyways, all 9mm setups are QR... Alternatively I'd have to get a new hub or wheel with the appropriate axle size. But I'm still a bit confused by the difference between QR and through axle, and whether or not the two are interchangeable should the situation present itself.

    When you refer to a fork as being QR, that just means that the fork has an open dropout so that it can slide off/on the axle correct?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,905
    you need a standard dropout fork. all forks are either 9mm, 15mm, or 20mm.

    all 9mm QR forks have identical, standardized dropouts.. same with 15 and 20's.. you've got a 9mm wheel now, so you can replace your fork with any 9mm fork. if you got a 15 or 20mm fork, you'd need a 15 or 20mm wheel.

    dont worry too much about the qr or through axle terms. if its 9, it'll fit everything 9.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    you need a standard dropout fork. all forks are either 9mm, 15mm, or 20mm.

    all 9mm QR forks have identical, standardized dropouts.. same with 15 and 20's.. you've got a 9mm wheel now, so you can replace your fork with any 9mm fork. if you got a 15 or 20mm fork, you'd need a 15 or 20mm wheel.

    dont worry too much about the qr or through axle terms. if its 9, it'll fit everything 9.
    Cool thanks. That simplifies my decision making process a fair bit As much as I'd like to switch to the latest and greatest 15mm through axle/fork I think I'd like to shy away from having to get a new wheel/hub after dropping a wad on the bike. Not to mention that this is a pretty nice wheelset.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Coatta11
    Cool thanks. That simplifies my decision making process a fair bit As much as I'd like to switch to the latest and greatest 15mm through axle/fork I think I'd like to shy away from having to get a new wheel/hub after dropping a wad on the bike. Not to mention that this is a pretty nice wheelset.
    You are in luck! Check out this thread and then go talk to your local bike shop.Mavic Crossmax 15mm front axel compatibility

    You should be able to get 20mm or 15mm adapters for your Crossmax ST's, then you can run whatever fork you want. I personally would vouch for the 2009 Talas 32 15QR. I use it on my current bike and will be purchasing the 2009 Trance X0 over the X1 because of it. Maybe you hadn't noticed that yet. Giant spec'ed the 2009 Trance X0 with the 100-140 Talas. Good luck on your decision and be sure to post pics when your are finished!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CHiEF_N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    46
    It's good to see another Trance X owner using the bike to its full potential. It's most def a nice n' light all mountain rig with the right fork and stem. Please post some ride shots of the bike with its longer legs on and some of the awesome BC gnar trails you're riding.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by CHiEF_N
    It's good to see another Trance X owner using the bike to its full potential. It's most def a nice n' light all mountain rig with the right fork and stem. Please post some ride shots of the bike with its longer legs on and some of the awesome BC gnar trails you're riding.
    Definitely will do. It's proving to be a chore finding a fork with a long enough steerer tube though. It sort of looks like I'm going to have to buy something brand new, which means it ain't going to be cheap! But ya, once I'm up and running to it's potential I will post some shots, can't wait...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by ridermtb
    You are in luck! Check out this thread and then go talk to your local bike shop.Mavic Crossmax 15mm front axel compatibility

    You should be able to get 20mm or 15mm adapters for your Crossmax ST's, then you can run whatever fork you want. I personally would vouch for the 2009 Talas 32 15QR. I use it on my current bike and will be purchasing the 2009 Trance X0 over the X1 because of it. Maybe you hadn't noticed that yet. Giant spec'ed the 2009 Trance X0 with the 100-140 Talas. Good luck on your decision and be sure to post pics when your are finished!
    That thread is not correct. You may be able to get adaptors to switch your 20mm Crossmax to 15mm ( I have no idea if you can or not ) but if you have the 9mm Crossmax ST they are not adaptable. The old Crossmax XL was adaptable 9mm to 20mm but with the Crossmax ST that is not an option. I have a Trance XO with these same wheels and I checked into this very same thing.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CHiEF_N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Coatta11
    Definitely will do. It's proving to be a chore finding a fork with a long enough steerer tube though. It sort of looks like I'm going to have to buy something brand new, which means it ain't going to be cheap! But ya, once I'm up and running to it's potential I will post some shots, can't wait...

    Hold out a bit if possible, on finding a good used fork with a long enough steerer tube. They pop up sporadically. I was in the same boat a while back at first, and it was like all of a sudden there were several that popped up for me to choose from. A person can save a buttload of cash by going used, especially on forks. Happy hunting! Looking forward to those BC ride shots!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,905
    crossmax are one of those wheels that just sell themselves on name alone.. but really arent that great. toss those things on ebay, get a nice custom pro2 wheelset and pocket some change.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •