mtbr member
    Dec 2011

2008 Specialized Enduro SL Expert

I have the opportunity to purchase a brand new in the box 08 Enduro Expert through my LBS for around 2k. With an upcoming trip to Moab, Durango, and Keystone I am thinking this bike may be more fitting for such a trip then my 11 Stumpjumper FSR 29'er. Now that this bike as been out for several years on the trails does anyone have any input on this? Most of the reviews I found seemed to love the bike but they were kinda old reviews. Some reported problems with the fork and shock, Specialized house brand. Any input would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have an 08. The front fork if it is the same as mine is junk compared to any of the fox stuff. Not to mention you might have to have the forks updated with the better cartridges or you will hurt yourself on the trail,

mtbr member
    2k seems a bit high for a 2008, for that price u have some options. I'd see if they would swap the fork w something better at that price range
    I'm [SIZE="4"]GNARcissistic[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have an 08 enduro sl comp. I bought mines two years ago for $2k, so I think $2k is a bit high for it being a 4 year old bike. I'm pretty sure you could find a 2011 enduro comp for just over $2k. You should look around.

Nothing but great things to say about this bike; I think this bike was the best middle of the road bike ever produced. Going up and coming down. The performance of this bike really depends on how you build it; it can be built heavy for more descending, or it can be built light for better xc riding. It can pedal up as easy as a stumpy, yet descend how an AM bike should descend. In all honesty I will be owning this bike for a long time. The only reason why some have not too good things to say about it is because of the Spech shocks.

As for the suspension, if you are more of a xc rider you will like the rear AFR shock; it has a better pedal platform and keeps the bike more alive, but at the same time has horrible small bump absorption. An rp23 or a monarch would do a much better job.

2008 was the year they started issuing the fix to the e150 fork, so if they did it then you have nothing to worry about. One thing about the e150 is that it is a love hate relationship. The fork loves to sag through its suspension leaving the mid stroke to end stroke to absorb bumps, but it doesn't have very good small bump absorption in these two areas. The rebound is also very slow, and the adjustment knob barely does anything. For an example; I was on a trail yesterday and ran over a stick about an inch in diameter, i felt it straight through the bars. But at the same time its awesome to have the stiffness of a dual crown fork, it is very noticeable on harsh landings, rock gardens and even technical areas. Jumps and larger hits is another plus for the fork, so if the trails you will be riding have this more than small bumps, then it should do alright. So all in all the fork doesn't function very well, but you do get awesome lateral stiffness; hence the love hate relationship. I've had it serviced once and it has to be serviced again, but I won't waste my time this time; I'll be upgrading to an '12 van rc2.

So I guess the way you could look at it is automatically add the cost of a rear shock. The fork is up to you, really depends on what type of riding you will be seeing. If the trails are smoother and more jump related then the e150 is an awesome choice. But it does sacrifice small bump absorption. Hard decision on the fork; you could test it out and make you decision from there. Its $100 for a fresh service on the fork; you could do that before you go. If the fork performs how you want it, you keep it. If not, when you get back you swap the fork.

So the downside is the suspension, depending on how you ride I guess. But the bike has zero faults, very good bike. The saying goes: Climbs like an Angel, Descends like a bat out of hell.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    I owned a 2007 S Works Enduro SL. Very nice bike, great for a do-it-all. I have literally done 15 ft gaps and 7 ft drops with this bike as well as trail/xc rides.

That being said, 2k is a little steep for an alloy 2008. That bike is virtually 5 years old.

I must say tho that the Enduro SL has a pretty good amount of pedal bob with the stock AFR. The pro pedal setting is a must. Also the rear end is a little flexy compared to its newer counterpart. The e150 i replaced it with a fox 36 and DT Swiss wheels.

I replaced this bike with a 2011 enduro expert and the pedal bob is virtually gone with the new link in the fsr. Essentially the new enduros are mini DH rigs tho.

SamIAm
    even tho its still "in the box new" they shouldnt be holding the price like that. dont buy it for that. they will cave if you call their bluff, or sit on it for another year until they change mind.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals