Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

2008 Reign X bikes! SICK!

There's a X0 X1 X2 this year.

X2 looks to have a Roco and 55 fork. Soooooo sick!
    Attached Images Attached Images

May contain nuts
    Good to see the frame hasn't gone the way of the 08 Trance. Wonder why the X0 doesn't get a chainguide?

mtbr member
    wow those look sweet

SuperInstigator
    It SHALL be MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MY PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, it won't be mine, but it's fun to pretend.

Oh, and is there a thread/website that explains why the trance no longer uses the pierced downtube aspect of Maestro suspension?

Tim
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

the goose is loose!
    yeah i'd like to know why the pierced downtube isn't on that trance x. i thought of it kind of as giant's "signature." i was hoping to see a roco air and 55 sl or something on there. i'm still debating between this and the Bullit. gotta think hard about this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    Good to see the frame hasn't gone the way of the 08 Trance. Wonder why the X0 doesn't get a chainguide?
    Cause it's the lightweight model.

I personally never drop the chain myself, even when Freeriding. It's all about a good chain length and gear selection. If I got an X1 or 2 I would take it off for more efficiency and less weight.

the goose is loose!
    yeah, when you are in a good gear combo, it's pretty hard to drop the chain. it'll happen every once in a while, though. a kid i ride with sometimes can't figure out why he drops the chain on every jump and i keep telling him it's 'cause he's in a 1st and 9th gear combo (the two smallest cogs).

Motion activated
    Sickness indeed
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

New XO

Just got back from my LBS where I put in my order for an 2008 XO. Hope it comes quickly!!!!

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbalderrama
    Just got back from my LBS where I put in my order for an 2008 XO. Hope it comes quickly!!!!
    How much was it?

mtbr member
    i really like those bikes. It might cure my SX gas...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    How much was it?
    MSRP is $3600.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    is there a difference in the frame between the 07 and 08s?

the goose is loose!
    doesn't appear to be so.

p.s. anyone know if they will continue to sell the frame only? if so, what will the price and shock be? oh and what's the msrp for each of these bikes? i also saw on the Pinkbike forums that they changed the Reign. anyone have any news on that?

i just saw Bicycling's video review of the Reign X0. talk about ambiguity. "not built for anything super rough." "not made to be a whistler bike." "good for little bumps and jumps." "good for soaking up everything in its way." "great hard-core bike." "perfect for the person who shuttles all day with lots of elevation."

i'm looking to buy a new bike in about 4 months. the main thing i like about the reign x is the suspension design and its weight. but the bullit is pure beef and i know i wouldn't be able to make it die.
    Last edited by rm_racer; 07-15-2007 at 01:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rm_racer
    doesn't appear to be so.

p.s. anyone know if they will continue to sell the frame only? if so, what will the price and shock be? oh and what's the msrp for each of these bikes? i also saw on the Pinkbike forums that they changed the Reign. anyone have any news on that?

i just saw Bicycling's video review of the Reign X0. talk about ambiguity. "not built for anything super rough." "not made to be a whistler bike." "good for little bumps and jumps." "good for soaking up everything in its way." "great hard-core bike." "perfect for the person who shuttles all day with lots of elevation."

i'm looking to buy a new bike in about 4 months. the main thing i like about the reign x is the suspension design and its weight. but the bullit is pure beef and i know i wouldn't be able to make it die.
    That's true for ANY air shock bike. Not good for hardcore use.

If you get one with the coils, they can be beaten around and love it.

These bikes are in the exact same class as the SXT bikes, which hold up just fine to punishment.

The new Bullits look cool, but I doubt they're as sitff, have as low of COG, pedal as well, or brake as well either.

the goose is loose!
    yeah, the bullit has sheer strength, but the reign will brake better, the rear end is probably stiffer, and it just seems like an all-around stiffer bike. and i would set it up with coil suspension. the guy's claims at the end of the review seemed to contradict his initial claims though. he was saying "no big drops" (understandable, it's air suspension), "not ideal for whistler," but then went on to "great for shuttled mountains," and "great hardcore bike." but anyways, i was leaning toward the bullit before, but now i'm leaning toward this bike. i really want to see one in person.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Juicy
    is there a difference in the frame between the 07 and 08s?
    The components are different (xo has the fox 36 RC2 with the new quick release 20 mm through axle). Also, The new Reign frame was made 700-800 gms lighter with a 22% increase in stiffness. I assume that similar modifications were made on the Reign x but I am not sure.

Giant is selling the frame alone. It comes with the DHX 3 coil shock only. I think they are selling it for $1200.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rm_racer
    yeah, the bullit has sheer strength, but the reign will brake better, the rear end is probably stiffer, and it just seems like an all-around stiffer bike. and i would set it up with coil suspension. the guy's claims at the end of the review seemed to contradict his initial claims though. he was saying "no big drops" (understandable, it's air suspension), "not ideal for whistler," but then went on to "great for shuttled mountains," and "great hardcore bike." but anyways, i was leaning toward the bullit before, but now i'm leaning toward this bike. i really want to see one in person.
    If it's a 2008 Bullit, you also have to consider people have been having issues with the massive bulging pivot coming in contact with their gear.

Regardless, the Bullit is one sweet looking babe this year!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The new Reign frame was made 700-800 gms lighter with a 22% increase in stiffness. I assume that similar modifications were made on the Reign x but I am not sure.
    Actually, the article below shows the Reign X frame was not modified like the reign.

http://bikemag.com/features/onlineex...-2008-release/

the goose is loose!
    aw piss, i like the pierced down tube. those bikes kinda look like iron horses now.

mtbr member

sweeeet!

The components are different (xo has the fox 36 RC2 with the new quick release 20 mm through axle). Also, The new Reign frame was made 700-800 gms lighter with a 22% increase in stiffness. I assume that similar modifications were made on the Reign x but I am not sure.

Giant is selling the frame alone. It comes with the DHX 3 coil shock only. I think they are selling it for $1200.

Wow, 7-800 grams? That should put the new frame weight of the Reign at under 7lbs correct? That has to be just about the lighest 6in rig out there.
    Anyone know when the 08's will be avaliable?

lurkio
    Jul 2007
    What are you people thinking (colour is a personal choice) http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1390472/

the goose is loose!
    are you thinking about putting that color on reign? or getting that bike?

Carb free mofo
    Dec 2006
    How does one write the noise that homer simpson makes when he spots food?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Monohan
    Cause it's the lightweight model.

I personally never drop the chain myself, even when Freeriding. It's all about a good chain length and gear selection. If I got an X1 or 2 I would take it off for more efficiency and less weight.
    Ok, but I find after a long rough downhill with no pedaling, often the chain is no longer in the cog it started, so I installed a Stinger on my X1 (no it didn't come with one). I like not being surprised when I do need to pedal.

FYI the Stinger weighs ~80g, so compared to some other components, that's nothing. At least it's very acceptable to me. I'm upgrading some other heavy parts over time.

Efficiency, maybe - I do notice some drag when backpedaling, but I'm not sure how much there is during normal pedaling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast