mtbr member
    Apr 2013

2008 Giant Reign X1

Giant Reign X1

Been looking for AM bike for a while now, and found this. Looks to be in good condition, any comments on price? Also, I assume looking at rear suspension is same as looking at fork (for bleeding fluid, stanchion scratches, etc). Any other things I need to look for specifically in a coil suspension or just the basics? I have bought used bikes before, just not with rear suspension (or coil for that matter) so I want to be sure. I am looking at it Friday afternoon if I can get ahold of owner.
    Last edited by lacrossefreak17; 06-18-2014 at 06:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrossefreak17 View Post
    Giant Reign X1

Been looking for AM bike for a while now, and found this. Looks to be in good condition, any comments on price? Also, I assume looking at rear suspension is same as looking at fork (for bleeding fluid, stanchion scratches, etc). Any other things I need to look for specifically in a coil suspension or just the basics? I have bought used bikes before, just not with rear suspension (or coil for that matter) so I want to be sure. I am looking at it Friday afternoon if I can get ahold of owner.
    That's a good deal if it's in good shape. I still have an 07 which was exactly the same other than paint. The geometry is still up to date with what's on the market now and it pedals/descends well. I've swapped out the R cartridge in the 36 for a '10 RC2 and had the DHX custom tuned by PUSH, 2 things I'd highly recommend. Other then then checking for the usual things I'd pay attention to the pivot bearings.

mtbr member
    That looks like a pretty smoking deal if nothing is on the verge of needing to be replaced. I had one of those and rode it everywhere for a few years. It was a bit heavy compared to today's standards but still an awesome all around bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Do you guys have any clue of weight? Haven't heard back from the owner yet, but I am guessing it is around 35 ish lbs if that sounds about right? Is there anything to look for in pivot bearings other than things like rust/difficult motion/noisy when in motion?

Never done anything as far as special tuning suspension or swapping out cartridge - I dont think i need the rear suspension to be perfect, but I would be curious as to the reasoning for custom tuning the rear suspension? Same deal with the cartridge, though I think (maybe?) I may know what that is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    2005 santa cruz blur (M)

Had a hard time finding much info about the 2005 SC blur 4x here. Not sure if maybe he has wrong year, but is this bike a good deal? Slightly worried about the rear shock. Im looking for AM/XC bike (Atleast 120mm Travel, no more than 180mm travel). Will do some lightish DH/FR, I am 19 so will ride hard but dont like super technical stuff, I just want to have fun, but will do some trail riding as well

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I think that the Reign will be better for me only because it will be cheaper in the long run in replacing/fixing old parts, and it will definitely have enough cushion for me, but I am open to ideas!

mtbr member
    At a glance the Reign looks like a much better build. Mine was in the high 30s but I had it built pretty heavy, my guess is that one would be mid 30's. Reign X is a great bike. The Reign is definitely more on the AM side of things though so it won't be quite as snappy or fast up the climbs. That being said it does climb well for how much travel it has.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I think that the Reign will be better for me only because it will be cheaper in the long run in replacing/fixing old parts, and it will definitely have enough cushion for me, but I am open to ideas!
    Go for it! Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    That thing looks pretty close to stock, I'd guess ~33lbs. As for why to upgrade the suspension - I found the stock R damper in the fork to dive too much (remedied by increasing LSC in the RC2 damper), and the propedal to be too aggressive and the HSC not strong enough in the stock DHX 3.0. However that's personal preference.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Cool thanks for all the help guys. Just one last question and I know that this is mostly based on feel - The bike is a Large (20"), and I am about 5'10 200lbs or so. Im not to worried about the weight, and from what I have heard about standover height/ top tube height, and for what I will be using it for seems like it will work well because I wont be using it for heavy trail riding. Think the 20" will work for me to those of you who have one? Im going to look at it regardless because I go by feel, but I am curious what you guys think

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cool thanks for all the help guys. Just one last question and I know that this is mostly based on feel - The bike is a Large (20"), and I am about 5'10 200lbs or so. Im not to worried about the weight, and from what I have heard about standover height/ top tube height, and for what I will be using it for seems like it will work well because I wont be using it for heavy trail riding. Think the 20" will work for me to those of you who have one? Im going to look at it regardless because I go by feel, but I am curious what you guys think
    I'm 5'8" and fit well on a Medium, so you're between sizes.
    If the Large feels slightly long (with a 70mm stem) then with a shorter stem it should be fine. If it feels long with short stem, it may be too big.
    Last edited by fsrxc; 06-20-2014 at 03:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm 5'10" and ride a medium with a 50mm stem. TT claimed length is 23.2", I've never measured to confirm. Large is 24.1".

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for help. Unfortunately the guy isn't responding right now. I've looked around a bit more and found this:
    09 Novara method 1.0

Novara Method 1.0
    I read a little bit about the bike in a forum on this site, and it basically says good components for price, but used I am not so sure?
    Specs:
    Manitou Minute fork
    Fox Float R rear shock
    Moto X cranks (look like garbage, may need to replace)

Trying to figure out a weight, what type of disc brakes, and shifters