Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Ami Schwein

2007 specialized enduro article in singletrack

Sorry if this has been posted already but it was news to me. Looks as if their going to be jumping into the suspension market as well.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=2060
    Wait until Spring Bandini

Formerly DMR For Life
    whats with companys starting with S and proprietary products first shimano now specialized whos next sram?

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    Don't think they are doing themselves a favor by doing that.

At least there is no way in hell i'll buy that bike with S#$% everything.
    "Didn't your doctor tell you to stop smoking and drinking?" George Burns "Yes but they all died"

just along for the ride
    Strange they bailed on FSR/horst that is about all they have going these days besides carbon BS. Looks like my POS FHS faux bar, glad I got mine for 400, that looks $$$
    Attached Images Attached Images

what a joke
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    Strange they bailed on FSR/horst that is about all they have going these days besides carbon BS. Looks like my POS FHS faux bar, glad I got mine for 400, that looks $$$
    It still looks like a horst to me, with the pivot on the chain stay..... but I may have looked at it wrong.
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Looks like a bad Nomad rip off to me. Specialized is going backwards imo. I hope the Specialized brand shocks work better than the failed 5th element experiment. I don't know why Specialized continues to use proprietary shocks. This will not lure in prospective buyers imo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I like my 2002 enduro way better than that.

Formerly DMR For Life
    I wonder if we'll hear in the next year here that spec. has lost their patent on the FSR suspension design....interesting

DMR

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Take another look.

Why would Specialized bail on the FSR? Scroll down to the lower pictures. There is clearly a chainstay pivot.

oodles of noodle
    Kinda cool. I'd be willing to bet that its gonna be godawful expensive. No opinions on the performance of the fork/shock but I would say that Fox is probably gonna be involved in the manufacturing. Perhaps the rocker is due to the carbon not being strong enough to use an interrupted seat tube. Guess we'll see in the coming months...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Don't really understand why everyone is hating on it.

Other than the front shock I think it is very elegant looking. Would probably be very nice with the new 36 float on it.

mtbr member
    I like it (looks like a Nomad), although the spesh shocks would keep me from buying it.

It seems the current Enduro is highly-regarded, so is spesh really getting rid of a winning design to jump on the Nomad bandwagon?

Ant

TNC
    noMAD man

Doesn't that rear shock...

Quote Originally Posted by YaZgo
    Kinda cool. I'd be willing to bet that its gonna be godawful expensive. No opinions on the performance of the fork/shock but I would say that Fox is probably gonna be involved in the manufacturing. Perhaps the rocker is due to the carbon not being strong enough to use an interrupted seat tube. Guess we'll see in the coming months...
    look like a Fox RP3 or RP23 or whatever? As long as the shock mounts and shock length are such that one could install an off-the-shelf rear shock of one's choice, I wouldn't mind that Spec wants to try making their own shock. It's that inability to use another brand of shock that would chap me. The old Enduro severely limited such a choice.

It sounds like the 25mm hub would kill the idea of using that fork for me...just as it did with the DUC32 Maverick fork's 24mm hub. If we're going to have bigger choices than 20mm, the manufacturers need to get a "standard" down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    What kind of fork is that? Who Makes it?

Ami Schwein
    Dude read the article its manufactured by specialized. I agree with TNC some standardization would def be nice. It seems like a strange move to me though, I assume these will be OEM only.
    Wait until Spring Bandini

Too Much Fun

That curvy look is familiar...

Quote Originally Posted by k-stein
    Sorry if this has been posted already but it was news to me. Looks as if their going to be jumping into the suspension market as well.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=2060
    Oh look! Its a plastic Nomad!

I wonder if that bike breaks $8k... Any bets?
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    How is it a Nomad knock off? Can all bikes without straight toptubes be traced back to the Nomad?

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Kart Motzart
    How is it a Nomad knock off? Can all bikes without straight toptubes be traced back to the Nomad?
    The curvy tube look is coming into vogue. Witness the Nomad, the Ibis Mojo Carbon and now the new Spesh Enduro among others I've likely forgotten.

Just noticing a pattern and merely IMHO, hence the I included in my post.

[Edit: Judging from the comments on their site, it appears I'm not alone in noticing the homage to the Nomad...]
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I wouldn't compare frame look with Nomad but rather with Iron Horse 7Point and I would guess with soon to be released IH 6Point.
    On the sidenote, it's still full blown FSR and it's just funny how some from "S" commented on the interrupted seattube design of the current Enduro vs. Epic, saying rockers will be too big on the long travel bike.

oodles of noodle
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalk
    On the sidenote, it's still full blown FSR and it's just funny how some from "S" commented on the interrupted seattube design of the current Enduro vs. Epic, saying rockers will be too big on the long travel bike.
    Can you clarify a bit for me. Not sure what you mean by the rockers being too big for long travel. Don't all of their full suspension bikes need to use rockers to a certain degree?
    I love lamp.

Another festivus MIRACLE!
    I don't like this idea of Specialized using proprietary shocks. Didn't they used to stock all of their old bikes with their proprietary cranks, aka Strongarm, and other bits they everyone used to complain about? Finally they ditched that idea and went with Shimano/Truvativ cranks, etc.

Why are they doing this anyways? More profitable for them, and less performance for us?

WTF?

Looks like I'll be keeping my 06 Enduro for many years to come.
    "If an illegal alien is an undocumented immigrant, than a drug dealer is an unlicensed pharmicist."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit71
    Why are they doing this anyways? More profitable for them, and less performance for us?
    I don't think it will cost performance at all. They have hired brilliant guy to handle the suspension. Quoted from Bike Magic-

The man behind Specialized's new suspension projects is Mike McAndrews. He's been working in two-wheeled suspension approximately for ever, from tuning bikes for pro MX racers, through being head of R&D at RockShox for six years to heading up Fox's fork development. He also did a stint at Maverick, and the FutureShock E150 fork is conceptually not dissimilar to Maverick's DUC32 - it's a long-travel trail fork that uses dual crowns to cut weight and an oversized axle to add stiffness.

Specialized has worked closely with Fox over the last few years and this latest step will bring them even more control over the process.

oodles of noodle
    I agree. I think that S has done their homework this time. McAndrews' is sort of an expert among experts. Proprietary the suspension may be, but I have no doubt that it will work very well with McAndrews behind the, uhhh...shimstacks. I'm personally not very crazy about proprietary equipment, but I can't say too much about that, being that I'm a Cdale rider.
    I love lamp.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The suspension is not proproetary. I have ridden the 07 enduro with a fox 36 fork and fox dhx air shock. It rides fine. It works better however if the suspension is designed to the bike and the bike designed to the suspension, you can have it that much more perfect.

bi-winning
    It looks pretty. As for all the S parts, I don't care, because i will never own one anyways. Seriously though, i don't know if it is a great idea to have S brand everything. Could scare away a few buyers. However, it sounds like they did some hw on it, so if it works, it works. If they have problems, people will point and laugh.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast