mtbr member
    May 2007

2007 Jamis Dakar XLT?

I am going to buy an All-mountain bike and has a good deal on 2007 Jamis XLT but as i checked on the jamis official website....somehow it looks like an old 2006 model and they respray it to become 2007 "NEW" model. I am not quite convince as the XAM 1.0 and 2.0 looks so much cooler and newer.
    So what do u guys think? should i invest more in a XAM or stick to the XLT? Both of them are all mountain right?
    Is XLT the lowest end of Jamis All-mountain range?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The XLT uses the "older" linkage design but is no means a bad one. The XLT is the lowest end of their AM bikes but it's meant to hit the price point of the person looking to get into a 5" bike without breaking the bank.

With this being said the XAM 1 and 2 are built up completely different than the XLT in my opinion. The XAM bikes are built up pretty sweet for the price. More travel with better builds for AM riding IMO.

Hope this helps

mtbr member
    i had the 06 jamisxlt. amazing bike butif you have the money for a xam do it!. we just got a demo in at our shop and the thing is just burley. the tubing is massice. the components are great. the suspension is designed a lil different and by all means a better bike. the rear shock is located on the down tube instead of the top tube like the xlt. this is my xlt

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
    i need a god damn seat post!

Hmmmmm

Cool-blue Rhythm I wouldn't buy a Jamis...

I had an 04 Dakar XLT and hated it. It was breaking about every 3 months.
    The warrantee manager at Jamis knew about the cronic linkage and pivot failure problems on at least 2 years of Dakar XLTs but refused to warrantee me a new frame that was supposed to have the problems worked out.
    Jamis' solution to my cronic problems was to send me all the bearing kits that I wanted, but that didn't fix the problem which was a design issue.
    I guess I was supposed to walk out of the Mojave desert every 3 months and be totaly paranoid about back country rides.

You get what you pay for. This doesn't mean you have to spend a fortune on a Santa Cruze, Yeti ect. but you dont' want to buy a budget bike brand either, like Jamis, Haro or Mongoose to name just 3. ( There are more of course, but I think that will give people an idea of what I'm talking about ).

I learned this from hard experiance.

Later, Eric
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    i understand that but the 04 and 05 are a bit diff in the pivots. 06 and 07's have been improved and the chain stays have been reiforced. jamis learned their lesson. by all means dont by the 04 or 05. i have seen a 05 brake before, but jamis sent the frame peice with no problem
    i need a god damn seat post!