Thread: 2007 Etsx-10 Rm

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

2007 Etsx-10 Rm

There is a 2007 ETSX-10 at my local bike shop for sale new. They guy was like, I could get you into it for $1,500. I am not sure. Is that a good price? I understand that the ETSX line of Rocky Mountain are great, any word on the 10 specifically? Thanks so much.

Ride the dream
    Not totally sure on pricing in $ terms... But I know a little about the bike - well, I own a (heavily heavily upgraded) etsX 30 2007.

The fork aint great, the rear shock aint that great either...
    In terms of parts for your money, RM are rarely (ok, never) the best value for money - atleast over here - but on closeout, it could be a good deal. The frame performs great, and is a great upgrade base (but forks and Rshocks are kinda expensive to upgrade), the welding is good, and its a work of art, gets alot of looks on the trails. That said, there have been issues with breakages on that design (albeit in past years) - Ive had no problems with mine and its been throughly thrashed - thats what warrenty is for right?

If the price is good - and you get a good bike compared with what else you can get for $1500, then by all means go for it. But make sure you read up about frame breakages - make sure you know what is POSSIBLE, though all frames have breakage issues, the etsX has had quite a few in its earlier incarnations and still has a few now (though its given a much worse rep than it deserves for it).

There are alot of people that will tell you to steer clear, and if the price isnt THAT good, then they might have a point - there are things there that you'd want to upgrade. But if the price is good, and you're happy knowing what CAN (and more often used to than it does now) happen... then its really down to you.

Also important - do they have it in the right size for you? If not, then all the value in the world, its not worth it.
    (Try going into another shop and seeing what size they put you on the 2008 version - if its the same size they offer you, then its good, too many shops would tell you its the right size if it isnt to get it sold)

There's no app for this.

a 2008 costs

$1899 http://www.coloradofreeride.com/rock...08-pr-448.html so I guess $1500 is fair.

the previous poster has many good points including fit.

Jim

Ride the dream
    Just to add to what Jim says...

The original RRP on the 2007 line was higher than the original RRP on the 2008 line.
    Having looked, the RRP on the 2007 line etsX10 was 300 more than the 2008 etsX10 - translated into dollars, it would be about the same (300) since bikes here cost more relatively speaking. (1895 --> 1595)

If im not wrong (please correct me if I am), production of some models, i believe including lower etsX models, was moved from canada to taiwan for 2008.

Well, what that means (if memory served me right) is that that bike would have cost more at RRP than the 2008, and means it was welded in canada - not important but nice to know.

It also means that the deal is even sweeter (than if the 07 and 08 prices were the same).

The size does matter alot - more than anything... Whether or not its a good deal, its worthless to you if it isnt the right size.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So, I am a big guy. I asked if they have the XL frame, I think for RM called the 20.5.... (They have it) I am really tempted. So the 2008 version of the same bike is made in Taiwan eh? Lame. Thanks for your input!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ride the dream
    No problem.

How tall are you?
    For a 20.5" frame, youre gonna wanna be about 6.2+ I woulda thought.
    Im 5"10 and ride an 18" that fits me perfectly

Im not 100% sure, but I believe so - either way, the 2007 model had a higher RRP than teh 2008 did, so the deal looks even better alongside that 2008 price that Jim quoted you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am 6.4. I would like to go get it...if I hear from a couple more people I just might. Like hopefully someone out there has that exact bike. I would like to hear from them....

Ride the dream
    Sounds like the 20.5 would probably be the right size then. Try and see if they can get it to see if she fits you, and if so, it sounds a great deal

One thing I would say, is that the bike pedals remarkably well fully open - though a proper propedal shock (RP2 or RP23) would make a big difference for those really steep climbs - not a neccessity, but something you wouldnt go back from (if you have it once).

There is one little annoying thing with the frame, which is that if you try to ride in long grass (only once, thankfully, have I had to) the cassette is quite open to the grass and gets clogged up easily - not important, but annoying (same as any other elevated chainstay design).
    Though I cant really give much experience of specific components (since theyre all different), I would say that the frame is very good, it pedals well and feels great to ride. And I like the distinctive look, gets alot of admiring glances at the trailhead (lets be honest, its not important but its nice to be noticed )

Ride the dream
    Argh - its realy hard trying to find the RRP of the 2007 model - found it in one place $2195 (but it could be wrong) - im sure the shop would be able to tell you what the RRP was.
    Either way, it WAS more than the 2008 RRP, im sure of that much.

There's no app for this.

the key to fit is

Quote Originally Posted by vgoose
    I am 6.4. I would like to go get it...if I hear from a couple more people I just might. Like hopefully someone out there has that exact bike. I would like to hear from them....

Get the top tube length right..that is...with butt on saddle and hands on bars, the bike should feel like it was made for you. Minor fiddling with saddle and stem can help, the key word being minor...if it's not a fit, then don't get it..you won't use it or enjoy it (think of buying bargain shoes that are "almost" the right size) no bargain right?

Good luck with it, the bike did get good reviews in terms of riding and trailability.

Jim

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hey Jim - Yeah, I agree its gotta fit. They have the whole size run for that model. So I should be able to get one that fits me perfect. I just want to know if the 10 is a good model and for that price. I must admit, as English T has said, the 2007 flat black paint job for the etsx-10 looks amazing!