mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm 2005 Specialized Stump Jumper FSR Comp - should I buy, & for how much?

I am wondering what people think this bike is worth.

It is a 2005 Specialized Stump Jumper FSR Comp, with a Manitou front shock, Fox Float rear shock.

Specialized Bicycle Components

I want to pay a fair price, but at the same time I don't want to get fleeced. Anything I should for (specific problem spots) before I decide to purchase it? The seller is asking $1000. It appears to be in good shape.

Here is an older post on the same topic from 2009.

Many thanks to anyone who can help

M

Flow
    If all the components are from 2005, depending on how much the bike was ridden a lot of stuff may be worn out. I might give $1000 for new old stock (i.e., unridden) for that bike but nowhere near that for a bike that has been regularly ridden for 8 years. Depending on condition I would say more like $500-800 would be appropriate.

mtbr member
    $1000? Pull other one.

They could be bought for $1700 when they were new eight years ago. Assuming it's in good condition $500-ish, if it's got anything on it that needs work ignore it, you could easily spend another $500 on rebuilds for the frame and suspension if it hasn't been looked after, plus a couple of hundred potentially on the drive train if it's been ridden a lot.

Places to look for wear/cracks, the shock mounts and linkage, the chain stays at the frame end and the seat stays at the dropout end. Also ask about servicing on the fork and shock, if the answer's none or there's any visible wear on the shock shaft/fork stanchion it's time to walk away.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    $1000? Pull other one.

They could be bought for $1700 when they were new eight years ago. Assuming it's in good condition $500-ish, if it's got anything on it that needs work ignore it, you could easily spend another $500 on rebuilds for the frame and suspension if it hasn't been looked after, plus a couple of hundred potentially on the drive train if it's been ridden a lot.

Places to look for wear/cracks, the shock mounts and linkage, the chain stays at the frame end and the seat stays at the dropout end. Also ask about servicing on the fork and shock, if the answer's none or there's any visible wear on the shock shaft/fork stanchion it's time to walk away.

Thanks for the tips. Apparently, the bike was only ridden by and older guy to and from work. So it could be in "almost-new" condition, if I'm lucky.

mtbr member
    I had a 2004 SJ very similar to this one. It's a great bike, well designed, well made, and still valid. The FSR suspension is one I like very much, and given Speshy's commitment I believe it's still very relevant.

That said, even if never ridden, new in the box, and found behind a stack of crap in some warehouse I wouldn't go more than $350. The advancements in the last 9 model years are significant and would certainly justify a newer model if you're looking to get serious right away. If you're looking for a maybe I'll ride this bike, or maybe this bike will interest me enough to ride and upgrade later, or maybe that hottie on match.com will answer if I put MTB'er in my profile then you've got a good buy at $350.

OMG!
    I got a 2010 pro (fox fork, high end components) for $1100.