mtbr member
    Nov 2013

2004 Haro X2 Extreme vs 2009 Gary Fisher Cobia 29er

I could use some knowledgeable opinions about a potential bike choice for my 16yr old son.

He is 6í2Ē about 150lbs and (donít laugh) currently rides a 24Ē FS Mongoose bike, the kind you by from a big box store for $149. Itís a long story but he didnít want to upgrade last spring. Well say what you will about big box bikes he has pounded the stuffing out of this thing on single track and 2' jumps and with general maintenance (cleaning and lubing) we have only had to replace the derailleur and chain due to wipeout.

So now he would like (and is in need of) an upgrade. I am looking to spend $500-$600 and have spent time looking in the local shops (Trek, connandale, Raleigh and Specialized) as well as researching online and come to the conclusion that it might be wiser to buy a used better quality bike instead of new bike due to the lower grade components used on a new bike in my price range.

I have found two bikes in really good condition. A 2004 Haro X2 Extreme FS ($400) and a 2009 Gary Fisher Cobia Hardtail ($500). I can find plenty of comments on both bikes and their respective components. BUT I cannot find any recent comments on the X2 Extreme, all in the past were very positive but that was against the 2004 standard. How do these bikes compare at todayís standards? The only difference on the X2 is the from fork is the EXP Pro and not the EXP Comp as noted on Bikepedia.

Thanks
    Last edited by tomuchcoffee; 11-21-2013 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    I owned two Haro X3's and I broke both of them. The frame isn't very laterally stiff and eventually will just fail. The first frame I nearly separated the rear triangle from the front triangle at the pivot. The second frame I managed to snap the weld where the seatstay and chainstay come together just above the rear axle.

It was a fun frame (my first full suspension bike) and it took a serious amount of abuse on my part, but in the end these are the only frames I've ever managed to break.
    The cake is a lie.