mtbr member

2003 Ellsworth Joker

I am in the process of buying a 2003 Ellsworth Joker, for a allmountain/trail bike.

I was advised against it because they said it was hard to get parts to fit and alot of the newer rear shocks don't fit and its hard to put newer type of components didn't know if that was the case or not.

Let me know what you think also, i couldn't find a weight for this bike.

Also i have a 07 kona stinky, what would be the diffrences between the two bikes.

i don't have alot of money to spend so i was trying to get an older bike that was still effective, i getting it for $500. I don't have the money to get anything that is a couple years old and i kinda always liked the ellsworth bikes.

here is the build list

Mazocchi 66 RV front fork
    Romic rear shock
    Hayes hydraulic brakes, 8 inch front rotor, 6 inch rear
    Race Face North Shore DH cranks
    LX Rear derailleur, XT front
    Rhino Lite front wheel with RMB hub
    Mavic 519 with XT hub
    Kore race seat post
    Kona DH handlebars with Kona lock on grips (new)
    Kona stem
    LX shifters
    SDG Gran Prix seat
    Tioga 2.3 factory DH front and rear tires

thanks

thanks

i am also a newbie to mountain bike riding

mtbr member
    Copy and past in the Ellsworth forum, you will get more luck there. Older bikes can be a pain. Checking rear shock size should be easy and worth your time. Email Ellsworth if you get no help on the forum. As for using old parts, most stuff should fit if you can find a rear shock. Things that might not fit are modern forks and adjustable seat posts. I think that bike takes a 27.2 seatpost, so you are limited on adjustable seatposts. Most long travel forks these days come in a 1.5 in steer tube or a tapered steer tube, but realistically, a fork that is a few years old should be fine. An old fox fork can be Pushed with the new internals if you want to upgrade. DirtLabs is a good choice for rebuilding marz forks, and maybe able to upgrade the internals if need be. Honestly, older forks are they way to go, bc they don't hold their value and new ones are overpriced. Looks like a good build and elsworth makes a good bike. Check the reviews on the 66. I know Marz had a problem with steer tube bonding in 05 to 07 I think, but I am not sure on the year, so check the reviews. Anything made in the last two years should be solid.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    why do you need that bike if you have a stinky? very similar-purpose bikes...unless you have a dual crown on the stinky they are both 7" bikes with similar geo, joker is probably lighter but not by much, and the konas suspension is probably better. Joker pedals well though i've heard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgestone14
    Copy and past in the Ellsworth forum, you will get more luck there. Older bikes can be a pain. Checking rear shock size should be easy and worth your time. Email Ellsworth if you get no help on the forum. As for using old parts, most stuff should fit if you can find a rear shock. Things that might not fit are modern forks and adjustable seat posts. I think that bike takes a 27.2 seatpost, so you are limited on adjustable seatposts. Most long travel forks these days come in a 1.5 in steer tube or a tapered steer tube, but realistically, a fork that is a few years old should be fine. An old fox fork can be Pushed with the new internals if you want to upgrade. DirtLabs is a good choice for rebuilding marz forks, and maybe able to upgrade the internals if need be. Honestly, older forks are they way to go, bc they don't hold their value and new ones are overpriced. Looks like a good build and elsworth makes a good bike. Check the reviews on the 66. I know Marz had a problem with steer tube bonding in 05 to 07 I think, but I am not sure on the year, so check the reviews. Anything made in the last two years should be solid.

I had this in the Ellsworth forum and didn't get anything so i thought someone would reply in this one.

Thanks for the input, i'm just trying to get a decent trailbike without spending 2000k so i think this might be the way to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj
    why do you need that bike if you have a stinky? very similar-purpose bikes...unless you have a dual crown on the stinky they are both 7" bikes with similar geo, joker is probably lighter but not by much, and the konas suspension is probably better. Joker pedals well though i've heard.

The joker is 14#s lighter, Stinky weighs 44# and easier to pedal and keep up with all the XC guys i go riding with. I rode over 11 miles up and down through coolies and switchbacks on my Stinky and after i was done i never wanted to look at another mountain bike. It still hurts my hamstrings to look at my bike. So i just keep it or sell it, I can always take it to big sky and ride down and get a lift in the way back up.

Beer Swilling Clyde
    If I remember right, two different versions of the joker were rolled out. The first being more of a freeride bike and the second more trail oriented. I'm not positive if there was an actual difference in the frame or if they just built them with a different parts spec. I had a buddy way back that rode a joker when building 10 foot tall ladders and roof hucks where the thing to do. He ended up cracking it and moved to a dare but very few frames held up well that that stuff.

mtbr member
    I had either a 2003 or 2004 Joker, it was a great bike. However, make sure it has the newer swingarm as the old ones were failure prone. On the newer ones the 'tower' that the chain and seatstays are welded to is in one piece - the older ones have a weld just acbove the pivot that wraps around the tower, if the frame has a 1.5 headtube then you have the newer version. As mentioned you would be limited in adjustable seat posts (KS and gravity dropper do 27.2 posts), but the rear shock sizes are pretty standard. The 'freeride' version has two shock mounts on the frame and will fit a 7.5 x 2.5 or a 6.5 x 1.5 shock, the only issue will be with some of the larger piggyback shocks.
    I loved that frame, it was a great do it all bike, actually better than the first gen Nomad I replaced it with (way over rated bike, especially with a DHX Air).

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgestone14
    Most long travel forks these days come in a 1.5 in steer tube or a tapered steer tube, but realistically, a fork that is a few years old should be fine.
    Wrong. Pretty much all new forks are still available with a 1.125" steerer.