mtbr member
    Aug 2014

New question here. 2002 Stumpjumer Comp or 1999 Klein Attitude Comp for XC/All Mountain

Hello everyone. My first post but long time lurker for answers and reviews on information and products.

I came into possession of two hardtail bicycles this week, a 2002 Stumpjumer Comp and 1999 Klein Attitude Comp. Both bike frames are pristine with the exception that the Klein has an aesthetic gouge near the bottom bottom bracket.

Fit on both bikes are excellent. I would like to build from frame-up (with high end components) on one of the bikes for XC/AM. Which bike frame would you choose and why?

Thank you in advance for your insights and opinions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I don't think the frames are suited for AM type riding. You could experiment, maybe 27.5 would fit on the back of one, then slap a 27.5 pike on the front.

mtbr member
    Neither. Sell both.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    I don't think the frames are suited for AM type riding. You could experiment, maybe 27.5 would fit on the back of one, then slap a 27.5 pike on the front.
    i believe you are right about AM. i'm going to focus on X/C.

Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Neither. Sell both.
    probably a good idea. the frames and forks on both bikes are geared toward v-brakes. there are no high end suspension forks support v-brakes anymore.

i'm inclined to built from the klein frame, because i believe the klein frame is better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Don't worry about labels. At the time these bikes were produced the term "all mountain" didn't really exist. They were designed to be ridden on trails on a mountain. Many of these bikes', in their prime, were probably ridden on terrain similarly termed as "all mountain terrain" these days anyway. They are old tech though, and just aren't going to be as comfortable compared to newer models

What I would worry about is durability. Aluminum does have a fatigue life (Assuming these are alu not steel?) I don't know the frames' history but would be wary of stressing either of these frames.

Honestly, I'd pretty one of them up and hang it on the wall, then buy something a bit more current to actually ride. The Kleins aren't made anymore and the stumpy is, a stumpy. Good chance for $$ appreciation also.

perpetual pucker factor
    If the Klein is the hot pink and purple one, keep it purely on the grounds of so-gross-its-hot sex appeal. Turn it into a lamp that you keep in the front window. But as far as building them up, I wouldn't pour any money into them.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

... and if we just ... components are coming in

i haven't been in the bicycling scene since 2002... a lot has changed since then. AM to me is an all around bike, jack of all trails and master of non-extreme. XC is single track.

both of these bikes sat in the garages much of their life. their owners were good-manner pavement cyclists, so these bikes never really saw any trails. the wear/tears were from loading/unloading the bikes onto their vehicles.

so here are the pictures of the bicycles.

klein

and stumpy

notice that both bikes have are set up for cantilevers brakes at the rear. i didn't want front disc and rear levers, but high end forks supporting cantilever brakes are non-existence nowadays. i was fortunate to find the rock shox recon silver which has cantilever post plus the solo air shock with open oil bath damper. the weight of fork is 2226 grams which is 4.91 pounds (5 pounds). high end suspension forks are around 3 lbs. i guess i'll make up for it by giving up the beer belly.

the recon was $280 out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    Don't worry about labels. At the time these bikes were produced the term "all mountain" didn't really exist. They were designed to be ridden on trails on a mountain. Many of these bikes', in their prime, were probably ridden on terrain similarly termed as "all mountain terrain" these days anyway. They are old tech though, and just aren't going to be as comfortable compared to newer models

What I would worry about is durability. Aluminum does have a fatigue life (Assuming these are alu not steel?) I don't know the frames' history but would be wary of stressing either of these frames.

Honestly, I'd pretty one of them up and hang it on the wall, then buy something a bit more current to actually ride. The Kleins aren't made anymore and the stumpy is, a stumpy. Good chance for $$ appreciation also.
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    If the Klein is the hot pink and purple one, keep it purely on the grounds of so-gross-its-hot sex appeal. Turn it into a lamp that you keep in the front window. But as far as building them up, I wouldn't pour any money into them.

mtbr member
    I put many miles of what some would call all mountain (but I would call the more technical end of cross country) on a 98 Stumpjumper comp with the M2 frame. I bought it lightly used, put a ton of miles on it, and my wife now uses it as her commuter.

If you are on a budget, everything else is in good order, it fits you, and there are limited miles on the bike I say go for it "as is" plus the new fork. I wouldn't sink money into a bunch of components outside of say tires and a chain and maybe some cables/housing though. Make sure the bottom bracket, headset, hubs, wheels, etc. are in good working order and don't require replacement. If so, ride the snot out of it until you are ready for an upgrade and then look at a newer bike.

I Have Gnarly Potential
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzystar View Post
    notice that both bikes have are set up for cantilevers brakes at the rear. i didn't want front disc and rear levers, but high end forks supporting cantilever brakes are non-existence nowadays. i was fortunate to find the rock shox recon silver which has cantilever post plus the solo air shock with open oil bath damper. the weight of fork is 2226 grams which is 4.91 pounds (5 pounds). high end suspension forks are around 3 lbs.
    I'm pretty sure both bikes can be outfitted with a rear disc brake as well if that was a concern (the Rockhopper definitely can, and I think the Klein can too with an adapter).

Usually people only do full rebuilds on older bikes when they have an attachment to that specific frame, if you don't particularly care for either bike and are just rebuilding it because you already have it then you might be better off selling them both and buying a new modern bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

klein it is!

yeah disc brakes can be done. but i am just holding onto the era of cantilevers

these were two of the several frames that i lusted after when i was in my teens and twenties. the others were from moots, yeti and ventana.

seeing the klein attitude was like seeing a high school sweetheart who got hotter and she still wants you. lol. i dunno

so anyway, i came to the conclusion that the klein is the one getting the rebuild. she is my love, and i am going to outfit her like it's 1999!

i am going to start another thread for the build

Quote Originally Posted by Krause View Post
    I'm pretty sure both bikes can be outfitted with a rear disc brake as well if that was a concern (the Rockhopper definitely can, and I think the Klein can too with an adapter).

Usually people only do full rebuilds on older bikes when they have an attachment to that specific frame, if you don't particularly care for either bike and are just rebuilding it because you already have it then you might be better off selling them both and buying a new modern bike.

I Have Gnarly Potential
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzystar View Post
    yeah disc brakes can be done. but i am just holding onto the era of cantilevers

these were two of the several frames that i lusted after when i was in my teens and twenties. the others were from moots, yeti and ventana.

seeing the klein attitude was like seeing a high school sweetheart who got hotter and she still wants you. lol. i dunno

so anyway, i came to the conclusion that the klein is the one getting the rebuild. she is my love, and i am going to outfit her like it's 1999!

i am going to start another thread for the build
    Oh I totally get that, building up a Zaskar X for the same reason

Kleins are awesome so GL with the build! If you are doing disc brakes in the front you really might want to do both at the same time so your not using a mis matched set later or hunting down an older model rear. You can even get the XT's for like $100 each now, its ridiculous.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: 2002 Stumpjumer Comp or 1999 Klein Attitude Comp for XC/All Mountain

For all mountain? Neither. Please don't jump that poor Attitude, that old guy deserves some smooth single track in his final years.
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

bad nomenclature of riding

lol. the attitude has plenty of life left. it will finally get to see the mountains.

i got my riding description incorrect. i was thinking all mountain was single tracks throughout the mountains and cross country was flat-land/hillside single tracks. i haven't been in the biking scene for over 12 years... lol. sorry for the bad nomenclature

Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    For all mountain? Neither. Please don't jump that poor Attitude, that old guy deserves some smooth single track in his final years.