Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: madgeronimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    198

    2002 Hardrock frame--building it up for AM use

    I've got a 2002 Hardrock frame and am thinking of building it up for AM abuse as a project. Then I'll ride her until she breaks. I have a question: and I know I should ask Specialized about this, but does anyone know if putting a 130mm fork, say, on this frame that originally had 80mm will compromise/stress the frame out?

    And what other goodies should I put on here in terms of wheels and stem to go with this old hardtail? Fork? Crank?

    I'd like to stay under $1500 overall.

  2. #2
    They turned me loose
    Reputation: TheDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    383
    You can get a new "AM" HT for way less than $1500.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: madgeronimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    198

    What would you recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude
    You can get a new "AM" HT for way less than $1500.

    What would you recommend?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: el_chupo_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,218
    And to answer your first question, yes, 130mm on a 80mm frame will probably not be good for the bike.

    For a good AM HT frame: do you want a FR type frame? long travel type? do you want a complete, or a build?

    Matt

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: natebyrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    206
    you can get a giant stp for under a 1000 and they are sweet bikes too

  6. #6
    They turned me loose
    Reputation: TheDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    383
    Maybe I should elaborate a little. If you have the cheese to drop $1500 worth of parts into your old frame, go for it. I find mself building a re-building my various frames, and never quite get them to a point that i like, and I waste alot of money doing it.

    However, if I were you, and this was a secondary bike, I would buy used bits such as the fork, cranks and what have you. Maybe top your budget out at 500 rather than 1500 and still have a pretty nice rig.

    I would look at Giant's STP as noted above, the Jamis line of HT's (Komodo) and possibly one of the few Ironhorse HT slobs.

    Good luck.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    657
    You want to drop 1500 into a Hardrock???
    What's wrong with you? Get a P 2 or P3 or something better.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by madgeronimo
    I've got a 2002 Hardrock frame and am thinking of building it up for AM abuse as a project. Then I'll ride her until she breaks. I have a question: and I know I should ask Specialized about this, but does anyone know if putting a 130mm fork, say, on this frame that originally had 80mm will compromise/stress the frame out?

    And what other goodies should I put on here in terms of wheels and stem to go with this old hardtail? Fork? Crank?

    I'd like to stay under $1500 overall.
    The Hardrock can take a lot of abuse. I really doubt that you can break it

    This one is still ticking:

    http://thevishfiles.com/thevishfiles.wmv

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ANdRewLIu6294's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    601
    yup. i fractured my neck riding a hardrock, pretty hard crash off a drop, and it still runs perfectly.

  10. #10
    Going for a ride......
    Reputation: energetix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,146
    I came across this photo on another forum, thought it would probably interest you. The guy only had those forks there temporarily for some reason - off his dh rig or something. Anyway looks crazy!

    energetix



  11. #11
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Quote Originally Posted by energetix
    I came across this photo on another forum, thought it would probably interest you. The guy only had those forks there temporarily for some reason - off his dh rig or something. Anyway looks crazy!

    Looks like it was a snowy day.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •