mtbr member
    Nov 2009

2001 Giant AC-1 - Needs to go on a diet - suggestions please!

Hello all, my Giant AC1 is currently tipping the scales at 38+lbs and I need to lighten it up!

I already know my main issue.... My wheels, tubes, and tires....

Wheels: Sun Rhyno Lite XL - 32 spoke
    Tires: Panaracer DH Pros
    Tubes: Intense DH

I plan on keeping my wheelset for now but changing out my tires to the Panaracer XC Pros and a lighter tube to compliment the XC Pros. I am also open to suggestions to tires. I ride mostly North and Central Florida. Mostly dirt, sand, limestone...lots of roots...

I'm 6'2" 225lbs and need a durable tire/tube!

Other than that, the AC relatively stock.

Front Fork: 2001 Marzocci Z1 DO
    Rear Shock: 2004-5? Fox Vanilla
    Crank: Shimano Deore XT Hollowtech
    Derailleurs: Shimano Deore XT front and rear
    Pedals: Shimano spd 520
    Handlebars: Titec Hell Bent
    Brakes: Hayes Disc

I realize this bike is naturally heavier due to its age, design, and purpose. I just am looking for some ways to shed a few lbs.

Thanks,
    David

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    my favorite tires are maxxis minions, tubes go thin as possible but make sure they are for the rite size tire. ie: no 1.9 tube in 2.4 tire. I have had tubes split on me from doing that.

cassette could be heavy, stem, seat post, seat, h-bar.

but before you spend a lot of money on that bike consider a newer bike.

mtbr member
    I've been attempting the same with my AC1 after realizing I will never use a heavy build to it's fullest potential. I found that replacing the tires (IRC Kujo DH 2.35's 1150g) with a lighter tire (Michelin 2.0 test tire at 590g) made a huge improvement. So after removing the weight from the tires with so much success the lighten me up build started.

Schwalbe Rocket Rons 2.4 (probably won't survive long) saved ~850g each tire
    Rockshox Monarch 4.2 saved ~400 over RS Pro Deluxe

That's 4.6 lbs alone right there.

Most of my other components are XC stuff and I should soon be under 30lbs. It has made it a much better all around set up for me.
    Last edited by bidaci; 11-16-2009 at 05:41 AM. Reason: wrong shock weight

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    run some xc tires but keep the rear dh tube for flat protection

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the info fellas - I appreciate it.

bidaci - whats the current weight of your bike? Any ideas what my Fox Vanilla RC w/spring weighs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Go Nevegals, I switched from ProXC to them and love them and they are pretty light even at the 2.35 size. The stem and bars and stuff you will save a little wt, but not as noticable for the money. I have an OLD bike that uses coils on rear and Marzocchi Z1 and my bike only weighs 27 lbs, so it isn't just the "age" of the bike.

mtbr member
    Weight is at 31.2lbs. Once I out on the Monarch I should be right about 30.5lbs with no ill effects. A few tweaks here and there should put me under my goal of 30lbs. Weight weenies lists your shock at ~650lbs. That's about a full pound more then the Monarch alone.

My build is for my style of riding (No hucks, no drops, no big air. More light AM or aggressive XC) and my weight (180lbs).
    Last edited by bidaci; 11-16-2009 at 01:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Just weighed in after the shock swap, 30.12lbs.

How goes your diet?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    It all depends on how much money you want to spend.
    You can do some relatively inexpensive things like tires and tubes first of all.

Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 are 700grams each
    Run light 120-150g tubes. That will save you a lot of weight.

From there it all goes up in price.
    Switch out those Rhyno Lite XL and get some decent wheels like the Transition Revolution AM wheels for $299 or so. They are 2070g for the whole wheelset.
    That is most of your rotational weight and you will save a ton with what is listed above.
    I just sold my 2003 Giant AC2 which was 36lbs with Rhyno Lite XL's and a similiar setup to what you have.

But it really comes down to what you want to spend. Then you are in the ballpark for a new bike.

Another thing...
    I just did this recently to get my Intense Tracer VP down from 36lbs is to get the Maverick Duc 32 fork (dual crown, 3.9lbs)
    Lots of stuff you can do, but its gonna cost you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I was looking at the weights of the rhino lite xl's and the best I can find is they weigh around 2300g combined? They are the 2001 36 spoke models. Any ideas on their weight?

I am not looking to drop this bike into the 20s, it would be too costly and then I would be breaking components....and broke I think ~ 32 lbs would be a good goal.

I just put on lighter tubes and some Panaracer Fire XC Kevlars, thats at least 3lbs savings right there!

I can save a quick and easy 1lb by swapping out my Fox Vanilla with a Float.

My front Marzocci Z1 DO fork weighs in at 4.5lbs. What do you guys recommend for a lighter, better replacement?

Thanks for the help!
    -David

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bidaci
    Just weighed in after the shock swap, 30.12lbs.

How goes your diet?
    Thats great! Would you mind giving me a run down of all of your components?

-David

mtbr member
    Current build as best as I remember

Frame - 02? Giant AC1
    Rear shock - RockShox Monarch 4.2
    Front shock/fork - RockShox Psylo
    Handlebars - Bontrager
    Stem - Azonic
    Headset - FSA Orbit Z
    Grips - Bontrager
    Saddle - Bontrager
    Seatpost - Bontrager
    Front brake - Hayes Hydraulic
    Rear brake - Hayes Hydraulic
    Cranks - Simano Deore
    Chainrings - 22/32
    Chainguide - RaceFace
    Cassette - 11-32 Shimano
    Chain - Sram
    Pedals - Specialized Platforms
    Front derailleur - Shimano Deore
    Rear derailleur - Shimano Deore
    Front shifter - Shimano
    Rear shifter - Shimano
    Front rim - Bontrager Race lite
    Rear rim - Bontrager Race lite
    Tyres - Schwalbe Rocket Rons 2.4

Need about 55 grams to get below 30. Should be easy enough with the current build to drop a few grams here and there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    start by selling the bike and buying a new one. You'll be able to not only shed lots of weight on the bike that way, but also upgrade to a way nicer more modern frame at the same time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    start by selling the bike and buying a new one. You'll be able to not only shed lots of weight on the bike that way, but also upgrade to a way nicer more modern frame at the same time.
    No doubt - a new bike fixes everything... I'm not ready for that yet. I am pretty attached to the riding and handlng stlye of the AC1. Its a great bike IMO - just a little on the heavy side

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by blazer84
    No doubt - a new bike fixes everything... I'm not ready for that yet. I am pretty attached to the riding and handlng stlye of the AC1. Its a great bike IMO - just a little on the heavy side
    You know what's funny... i just got rid of a 2003 AC2 with a 2004 Z1 Bomber, that thing weighed around 36lbs and it was a great bike. I just couldn't climb that thing as well as i would have liked so.... i bought a $4500 Intense Tracer VP. But you know what, that AC2 was a great bike on the DH. I wish i still had it, i sold it for $400 to a family member. If that thing would have just climbed a bit better, i would have kept it. Great bike for being 6 years old. Took a beating and was still great. Oh, but the Hammerschmidt on my Tracer VP, best thing ever.