mtbr member
    May 2006

2000 trek 6000 maint

hello hello - done some reading on here in the past, and ive done a bunch of searching, but i cant for the life of me find the info im looking for.

i have a 2000 trek 6000 - has very little actual use on it. mostly street and across grass. about 5 rides on actual trails, and even then they were mild.

i do plan on riding this summer with a few buddies who are avid bikers. so i need to get her back in good shape.

the wheels are twisted and bent. i have no idea what size axle it has, but i would like to switch over to disc brakes.

the BB grinds, the sprocket has been ground and shifts like crap. adjusted, adjusted, and adjusted all day. doesnt help. so i would like to replace the BB, sprocket and pedals. again, no idea on what i need for this bike.

i appreciate any and all advice and info you can give me - as long as its not "get a new bike"

mtbr member
    Err...Well what is the question? You have a well used old bike and want someone to tell you how to best fix it and convert to disk brakes?

Since you have some idea of mechanicals, you could jump into the project and learn from youtube and what not how to fix everything.

It sounds like you will need a lot of parts, and finding the right sizes to fit properly will be a challenge if you are not familiar. I know as although I am restoring cars and quite mechanical, I don't do this stuff on a regular basis and had to do a lot looking myself on a build.

As to converting to disk - quick thoughts - you will need new wheels which will cost you a lot compared to what one can assume is the value of the bike, plus the cost of disk brakes & rotors, even used, ASSUMING your frame and fork have lugs for brakes. And some bikes require odd caliper mounts I discovered.

I have an older HT and it has Avid SD V brakes and it can throw me over the handlebars better than my disk brake bike, I think I would forget disk and go with Avid SD brakes and levers which you can find cheap. Keep wheels.

Before jumping headlong into the project however, add up the cost you estimate for all parts and see if this old bike is worth the effort. A full working newer used bike is not that much considering the effort to get that one going.

mtbr member
    I do not know if your 6000 can handle discs i know mine didn't have the correct frame mounts (i do not remember what year it was). I road that bike with V brakes in MOAB and through a lot of tough trails out here in CO and it handled them all fine (just keep your pads fresh).

Can you provide us any information on the current parts that are on the bike, especially drivetrain?

mtbr member
    i like this place for parts

Jenson USA - Online mountain & road bike parts, clothing and accessories shop

you might think about getting a new bike. new disc brakes, wheels, pedals, gears etc, could cost a few hundred. id probably spend a little more, and get a full bike
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Since you're not sure on a lot of the things the bike needs, it might be better to take a trip to your LBS and have them give the bike a look over. Most shops won't charge you for an estimate on what your bike needs.

If your wheels are "twisted and bent", your drivetrain toast, you want to convert to disc brakes, etc... you're going to be spending quite a bit of money to get the bike where you want it, assuming your bike has the mounts for disc brakes. In that regard, once you add all the parts that you need/want, take into consideration the cost of a new bike. Most likely the new bike won't be that much more expensive.