mtbr member
    Jun 2009

2 step 180mm Forks Totem RC2 DH Lyrik RC2 DH or Talas 36 FIT RC2

I am looking at upgrading my Lyrik. I like the fork I have but it is not adjustable enough. It only has lockout and rebound. I was thinking of upgrading to one of the above forks. My Lyrik is a special made 180mm fork. I was told I could have the lockout remote removed and replace it with a Mission Control DH adjustemnt instead. But before I invest in that I just wanted to get some opinions on other forks.

Rock Shock Totem RC2 DH
    Travel: Dual Position Air: 180-150mm,
    Weight: Dual Position Air: 2710g
    Damping: Mission Control DH, Rebound: Dual Flow
    Adjustments; External Beginning-Stroke Rebound / High- and Low-Speed Compression , External Travel: Dual Postion Air, External Travel: 2-Step, Spring via
    Steerer Options: 1-1/8", 1.5", Tapered Aluminum
    Crown: Forged, AL 66 TV, Anodized Aluminum
    Upper Tubes: 40mm
    Lowers: Magnesium, Post Disc Mount, Maxle Lite 20mm Axle

Fox Talas 36 FIT RC2

Weight:20QR (includes axle) 5.4 lb / 2.45 kg (1 1/8" steerer) 5.37 lb / 2.43 kg (1.5" taper steerer)
    Travel:5.5 inches / 140 mm 7.1 inches / 180 mm
    Steerer: 1 1/8" aluminum1.5" taper aluminum
    Adjustments: Rebound Low-speed compression High-speed compression Air spring pressure TALAS 2 position travel adjust
    Lower leg: 20QR thru axle system, post style disc brake mounting
    Spring: Air

mtbr member
    Your weight, bike setup, riding style, type of trails etc...
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    200-210lbs lots of xc but I have Mammoth season pass. Love going down but don't mind climbing Holy Jim or San Juan trail. Don't mind a little extra weight. Scott genius lt twin lock 110-185

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Will be fallowing this as I may swap out my 160VAN for a 180van or totem

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Lyrik + Totem owner here.both RC2 and the damper feels very similar(good). weight difference is there but not as noticeable as going from 32->35 stanchion. Totem is rock solid though. it feels like a motorcycle fork.

mtbr member
    If you're DH oriented and will also be going to the bike park then definitely go with the totem. I cant speak personally of the 2 step. I ride the Solo Air RC2 DH on a Bullit for everything from XC to DH.The totem is incredibly stiff and confidence inspiring. I would never take a Lyrik or a 36 to a bike park even if I weighed 50lbs less.

You might get more help about the 2 step in the DH/FR section. Good luck!
    6'5" 230lbs

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Have you looked at the manitou Dorado (I think that's the name for it)? It's supposed to be REALLY nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    Have you looked at the manitou Dorado (I think that's the name for it)? It's supposed to be REALLY nice.
    Maybe if you want a fork with a limited turning radius and no on the fly travel adjust. And dont forget it weights more and isnt as stiff as a totem...
    6'5" 230lbs

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    Sorry my bike cant handle a tripple. At least thats what the specs say.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks JT

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've had the same dillema and ended up with Totem Solo Air. It is just perfect. Stiff as hell (for 200lbs+ it is a must), gives you a lot of confidence on the trail. The air chamner is huuuge, so it is not to progressive like most air forks with us, heavy guys.
    I have removed the floodgate from my Totem, and I am going to get the RC2DH damper next season for this fork.
    Money well spent - and it is much cheaper than the Fox

mtbr member
    i may be overlooking something, but are there any 180 mm single crown forks that have 10 or 20 mm EXTERNAL adjustments?

IMO, i never feel the need to completely change up my bikes geo with a slammed front end for climbing; however, I think it would be crucial to have the ability to go from 180 to 160 really easily for different types of riding

as the trend continues to go to adjustable geo, it would be awesome to have it at 180 for DH/shuttle days vs. 160 for the more typical all mountain

Its nice to be able to do this on my float but its an internal adjustment that requires 20-30 mins in my work shed plus i end up using new oil and float fluid every time i do it

usually cranky
    lyrik fo sho.