mtbr member
    Sep 2007

2 Possible Upgrades - need opinions

Hey everyone,

I'm on a Stumpjumper FSR Elite and truly ride all-mountain. I do technical and standard climbs, descend as fast as possible, jump here and there, rough rocks, big roots, technical downhills. I am 220 pounds and feel that the Fox "Triad" shock is just not substantial enough to absorb the big stuff without completely bottoming out and still providing a good setting solution for technical climbs and small bump compliance. Would the DHX Air 5.0 give me a substantial benefit?

Also looking to upgrade the wheels. Any very strong, light wheels that you guys swear by? What differences will I be able to clearly feel?

Thanks again!

TNC
    noMAD man
    Which year SJ FSR do you have? There are longer shocks available for some models that indeed make a noteable improvement in performance. My '08 SJ FSR has an off-the-shelf 7.5 X 2.0 Monarch that brought travel from 4.7" to about 5.3". Matched to a 140mm RS Revelation fork, this bike gained no weight but definitely gained a performance increase in its ability to handle rougher terrain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have an '07 so the rear is different than yours. Thanks for replying. That is one reply out of 100 views. Not that impressive MTBR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by med23
    I have an '07 so the rear is different than yours. Thanks for replying. That is one reply out of 100 views. Not that impressive MTBR.
    to paraphrase...

WAH WAH WAH i've got 10 posts and never contributed anything but i expect everyone to have valuable input regarding my specific model bike!

mtbr member
    at 220 i would not put "light" and "wheelset" in the same sentence.
    I dont care if you disagree with me. If your ok with being wrong thats fine with me.

mtbr member
    Post this in the Spec forum and I bet you get an answer in under an hour.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by D34ThL0rd69
    to paraphrase...WAH WAH WAH i've got 10 posts and never contributed anything but i expect everyone to have valuable input regarding my specific model bike!

Cmon now, I don't have enough technical knowledge really to contribute effectively here. I always try to educate myself by reading up on the forum. So, yes I only have 10 posts. I am a contributing member or another forum where I have substantially more expertise, and never give a low post count member crap for picking our brain. Sorry for asking a f-ing question. I'll go post nonsense now and troll the threads until I have a high enough post count for you to help me out with a simple opinion.

TNC
    noMAD man

There are shocks for the '07

If you look over on the Spec forum, there are numerous '07 SJ FSR's that have been modded with a better rear shock...a 7.875 X 2.0 if I recall correctly. Check some of those posts for more detail on what the '07 owners did to their rides. And if your '07 has a Float 120 which was quite common on some '07's...not an F120...it can be modded to 140mm with the removal of a simple spacer. What fork does your SJ have?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by socalenduro

That makes sense. I guess I should lose weight before I have the bike lose weight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    If you look over on the Spec forum, there are numerous '07 SJ FSR's that have been modded with a better rear shock...a 7.875 X 2.0 if I recall correctly. Check some of those posts for more detail on what the '07 owners did to their rides. And if your '07 has a Float 120...not an F120...it can be modded to 140mm with the removal of a simple spacer. What fork does your SJ have?

Thanks brudda. I'll check the Spec forum out. I have the Fox Talas RL up front.

mtbr member
    ohhh i wasn't teasing about your weight, you could be 6'7 and ripped for all i know. I just don't want you to buy some really expensive light weight wheels and smash them up in two weeks.
    220 is heavy in terms of bike designs.
    at 220 I would look at lightweight DH wheelsets
    I dont care if you disagree with me. If your ok with being wrong thats fine with me.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by socalenduro
    Fark that. QUALITY wheels can be built light weight by a good wheel builder.

I have been from 220-240 (nekkid) and riding on my Hope Pro II/DT 5.1 combos for almost 3 years. I ride horrible lines very agressively.

This wheelset weighs in at less than 1900g - that is pretty good.

OP, I would suggest calling up Chad at Red Barn and having him build you up some wheels. I finally broke a spoke (and put on another 30 hard miles) and the shop was astounded at the fact the wheel was still almost true...

TNC
    noMAD man
    Thanks brudda. I'll check the Spec forum out. I have the Fox Talas RL up front.
    That's the best deal. With that fork already capable of 140mm at the flip of a switch, you're the perfect candidate for a shock upgrade.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You pansies - I am 6'4" 210-230 nekid and I run a 1640 gram wheelset. Over 2000 miles on them and still running true.

Stans Arch rims are the answer. I am running mine on DT 240S hubs.

The best part is, no pinch flats. One word of caution, at our weight tubeless conversion is iffy. I have stretched beads on several converted tires and I have now decided to run UST and 2bliss tires only.

I run the 2008 stumpjumper. In my opinion the 2007 is better for big guys like us as the rear end of the 2007 stumpy is too flexy when you are putting down the hammer.

I don't think that you will be happy with the DHX 5.0. 1) I am not sure that it will fit through the pierced seat tube and 2) the pro pedal is weak for pedalling uphill on a horst suspension. I had my second air chamber pumped up so high on my enduro in order to get a decent pedalling platform, that it ruined the small bump compliance. An RP23 would be a better upgrade (a solid rear shock) and it fits on that bike.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Fark that. QUALITY wheels can be built light weight by a good wheel builder.

I have been from 220-240 (nekkid) and riding on my Hope Pro II/DT 5.1 combos for almost 3 years. I ride horrible lines very agressively.

This wheelset weighs in at less than 1900g - that is pretty good.

OP, I would suggest calling up Chad at Red Barn and having him build you up some wheels. I finally broke a spoke (and put on another 30 hard miles) and the shop was astounded at the fact the wheel was still almost true...
    You could build them yourself too, instead of citing the near magical/mystical qualities of guys who do build them...WTF is this guy Chad at Red Barn and WTF is he?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    You could build them yourself too, instead of citing the near magical/mystical qualities of guys who do build them...WTF is this guy Chad at Red Barn and WTF is he?
    It's not the first time I've heard his name though, and everything I've heard about him has been extremely positive. Personally I got a deal on some Easton AM Havocs for a good price so I went that way. They're around 1900 grams and apparently a lot of Clydes run them with success. They seem to be very nice wheels so far and I'm 220.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    the legend
    In all seriousness, Chad is an excellent LBS (although I am 1k mi away), he knows how to treat his customers, provides great insight and information and competitive pricing. Did I mention he builds a mean wheel?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Give the Easton Havoc AM a look. I like mine, they are stiff, light, and cheap. Read the reviews.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Have you thought about having the Triad pushed?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alphakappa3
    Give the Easton Havoc AM a look. I like mine, they are stiff, light, and cheap. Read the reviews.
    Yeah. I somehow got the 09s for the price of the 08s and really like them so far. They seem to be a quality set of wheels. Even the hubs are great. A lot of people think that they're machine built, but all of Easton's wheels are hand built.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    See if you can get a coil in the right size. Maybe a CCDB or something like that. Another nice wheel choice is the Shimano XT AM wheels.
    "It looks flexy"

MattSavage
    Hey everyone,

Also looking to upgrade the wheels. Any very strong, light wheels that you guys swear by? What differences will I be able to clearly feel?

Thanks again!
    I swear by Mavic 321's with XT hubs... relatively light, cheap, and bombproof. Put a solid axle on the rear and you're good to go.

For a shock, I'd go with a Swinger 4way air or an Evolver isx if you got dough. Either one blows the Triad away. I'm 205 (or more in gear) and have run one of those shocks on everything from a 4" to a 10" travel bike... Muy bueno!
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage
    I swear by Mavic 321's with XT hubs... relatively light, cheap, and bombproof. Put a solid axle on the rear and you're good to go.

For a shock, I'd go with a Swinger 4way air or an Evolver isx if you got dough. Either one blows the Triad away. I'm 205 (or more in gear) and have run one of those shocks on everything from a 4" to a 10" travel bike... Muy bueno!

Scratch the swinger 4ways and Evolver... They wont work on that frame with the reservoir coming off the bottom of the shock and the canister end is too wide to mount to the linkage. I was thinking of the newer frame style...

Still, I'd take a Swinger X3 over the triad anyday
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....