mtbr member
    Jul 2009

2.5" Riser Handlebar. Too much Rise?

Hey all. Looking to upgrade to wider bars for my bike and was wondering what the benefits would be going to a 2.5" rise handlebar. Would dropping down to a 2" rise be better?

I currently have a 1.5" rise now, 680mm wide. I know what the width will give me, but confused on what really the height gives. Really kind of confused on this topic and any help is much obliged.

Thanks.

usually cranky
    is a comfort thing more than anything. if you are happy where you're at id stay there.

mtbr member
    If it's too much rise or not, is entirely up to you and your body. If you have enough steertube left on your fork, you can play around with different height settings to see what fits you best, by raising and lowering your stem.
    Maintain internal heights.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    lower bars help you corner better,
    higher bars (to a point) are nicer for the steep down hills and a little easier on the back while seated.

short people should have lower bars than taller people....

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Making sense, thanks for the input. I just found out that the Azonic world force bar can be adjusted from 31mm to 50mm. So it will give me some room to play with.

The reason why I mentioned the 2.5" rise was because the Azonic world force 2.5" rise 31.8mm bar is on sale for 15 bucks. As opposed to 50 bucks.

re member
    Quote Originally Posted by camarosam
    . . .I just found out that the Azonic world force bar can be adjusted from 31mm to 50mm. . .
    What??? Adjust the rise? How?
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by camarosam
    Making sense, thanks for the input. I just found out that the Azonic world force bar can be adjusted from 31mm to 50mm. So it will give me some room to play with.

The reason why I mentioned the 2.5" rise was because the Azonic world force 2.5" rise 31.8mm bar is on sale for 15 bucks. As opposed to 50 bucks.
    Not to be mean, but are you serious? Think about that for a minute. How exactly are you going to adjust the rise of a solid tube of formed aluminum? Are you going to cut it and put hinges on it? They may offer the riser in several different size rises, but handlebars aren't adjustable like that.

A combination of stem, handlebar rise, and stack height with spacers on your steerer tube will get you the right bar height.

There's a reason why the 2.5" riser is so cheap. It's because they look pretty ridiculous, and they're seriously unnecessary for most people unless they cut their steerer tube way too short.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1

There's a reason why the 2.5" riser is so cheap. It's because they look pretty ridiculous, and they're seriously unnecessary for most people unless they cut their steerer tube way too short.
    Some people are not the average 5'8" 170lb rider There are riders in the 6" + range that may have a modern frame, w/ a short head tube length, that use tall riser bars for proper fit.

re member
    I still want to know how you can adjust the rise on these bars?

Is a blow-torch required in the adjustment procedure?
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    Some people are not the average 5'8" 170lb rider There are riders in the 6" + range that may have a modern frame, w/ a short head tube length, that use tall riser bars for proper fit.
    That's why I said MOST PEOPLE. I'm not super tall personally, but I'm 6 foot and only use a 1 inch rise on 1 bike, 1.5" on the other. 2 inches isn't too bad, but if you never cut your steerer tube, there should be no need for a 2.5" or 3" bar unless you're mad tall or like to ride completely upright. They start to look like ape hangers at those sizes.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    My guess is the rise adjustment they mention is just from rotating the bars in the stem to offset the rise forward or backward. Making it also a reach and sweep adjustment.

mtbr member
    They start to look like ape hangers at those sizes.
    But how would you hang your apes without them? Huh?

perpetual pucker factor
    I'm 6"3, riding an xl Reign 1. I have zero problems with my back or body position with my FSA Gravity Light bars, and the rise is minimal (25mm on a 30" wide bar). I'd personally not like them to be much higher rise than that, because of the adverse effects on the steering.

2.5" is bordering on ridiculous to me, even for most tall guys. If a rider feels he/she needs that much rise, he/she ought to look at the geometry and size of his frame before anything else.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos
    2.5" is bordering on ridiculous to me, even for most tall guys. If a rider feels he/she needs that much rise, he/she ought to look at the geometry and size of his frame before anything else.
    I am 5'8", and I do ride 8.25" bars just fine:

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    I'm 6"3, riding an xl Reign 1. I have zero problems with my back or body position with my FSA Gravity Light bars, and the rise is minimal (25mm on a 30" wide bar). I'd personally not like them to be much higher rise than that, because of the adverse effects on the steering.

Also keep in mind that your XL Reign has an incredibly tall headtube. With most other frames, even in the larger sizes, you would have a bunch of spacers under the stem or a taller riser bar to achieve the same riding position. With all the different frames and geometries; to make a blanket statement about how much rise is too much is kinda silly. Everybody is built different and has their own preference.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Not to be mean, but are you serious? Think about that for a minute. How exactly are you going to adjust the rise of a solid tube of formed aluminum? Are you going to cut it and put hinges on it? They may offer the riser in several different size rises, but handlebars aren't adjustable like that.

A combination of stem, handlebar rise, and stack height with spacers on your steerer tube will get you the right bar height.

I was thinking the same thing when I was reading it. I figured you could rotate the bar to do so. But Ive found out now that the site I was looking at that was selling it was incorrect.

It comes in, 1,2 or 3 now.

But Ive made the choice to get the new specialized demo low rise bar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Yeah, the main reason I asked about the 2.5" rise is because they are 15 bucks, and Im in need of a new bar so I thought I would ask. But I wont be going that tall.

mtbr member
    Curmy USSR battle tank?
    I'm from Ukraine, Kiev
    I'm graphics and web designer
    Follow me on Behance