mtbr member

New question here. 2.5 Minion DHR II vs DHF as Front

I'm looking for a new front on my Intense Spider Comp 29. I'm running an Ardent 29x2.4 front and back and want a little more cornering grip, rims are 29mm internal. I've read some that like the DHR II 29x2.5 as a front but it seems the DHF is designed for front usage. Ardent will stay on the rear. I could be swayed to the High Roller II but I'm afraid it will be too square with the wide rim. I ride in Colorado, any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    IMHO when mounted on the front wheel, DHF works better with a fast aggressive riding style while DHR is effective for slow technical trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Can you get a DHRII in a 29x2.5? Looks like you can in the DHF.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmike81 View Post
    IMHO when mounted on the front wheel, DHF works better with a fast aggressive riding style while DHR is effective for slow technical trails.
    I agree. Nice first post!

mtbr member

2.5 Minion DHR II vs DHF as Front

Quote Originally Posted by bhmax View Post
    Can you get a DHRII in a 29x2.5? Looks like you can in the DHF.
    Good catch. That kind of settles it for me. Looks like a DHF in my future. Don't know how I missed that in my research...

mtbr member

2.5 Minion DHR II vs DHF as Front

Anyone have thoughts as to how much increased rolling resistance I might feel with a 2.5 DHF bs the current 2.4 Ardent? I think I'm willing to sacrifice quite a bit for better cornering but just curious.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    for the front tire, grip > rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ufdah View Post
    Anyone have thoughts as to how much increased rolling resistance I might feel with a 2.5 DHF bs the current 2.4 Ardent? I think I'm willing to sacrifice quite a bit for better cornering but just curious.
    Ardent rear, DHF front will be awesome for CO
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A (for sale)
    '13 DB Mason 29er/650b+
    '13 SC Juliana 650b'd (wife's)

mtbr member
    ^^ What I run in the summer. Running HiRoller 2 for rear in wet/winter conditions at low psi and works amazingly well.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    ^^ What I run in the summer. Running HiRoller 2 for rear in wet/winter conditions at low psi and works amazingly well.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Also what I do. Bet he has them on a Bronson as well... Because G Man seems cool like that.
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A (for sale)
    '13 DB Mason 29er/650b+

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I switched from a 2.4 ardent front to a dhf 2.5. The dhf is in a different league as far as traction. The only other tire I've ever ridden with this much grip is the 4.6 ground control on my fatbike. It's predictable and it's easy to feel the cornering limits. Also be aware that the tire is huge. It will slacken thr geo of your bike and you could also possibly have clearance issues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    this ^
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    I just re-upped this combo and bought some Black Friday Ardent and DHF's for the garage shelf
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A (for sale)
    '13 DB Mason 29er/650b+

Elitest thrill junkie
    Combos that have worked well in the past:

DHF front, DHR rear

DHF front, DHF rear

I run a DHF front. I have run DHFs for a long time, sometimes paired up with DHRs in the rear. You can't go wrong putting a DHF up front.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    The DHR is like a HRII with Minion side knobs and swapped center knob sipes. But the DHF is such a great tyre I can't actually admit to having ever tried the DHR up front as an aggressive HRII before.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Maxxis needs to discontinue the Ardent 2.4. No aggressive rider who needs/wants a 2.4 will find that tread pattern desirable. I know this first hand. I'm sure it makes for a great 2.25 XC wheel, or perhaps a rear trail wheel, but the 2.4 doesn't fit into a category.

High Roller II.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Never understood what all the ardent hype was, had huge gaps it seemed between knobs. I bought them. Wasn't impressed.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I think I'm willing to sacrifice quite a bit for better cornering but just curious.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    I agree. Nice first post!
    thanks!

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Never understood what all the ardent hype was, had huge gaps it seemed between knobs. I bought them. Wasn't impressed.
    For awhile it was the only large single ply readily available from Maxxis. I used them exclusively for a couple of seasons. When brand new they actually aren't that bad, well OK. they are but you get used to it. They do roll a good bit quicker than the DHF, DHR, HR2's and they would grab in the corners if you leaned them over enough. The problem is once they start to wear the side knobs are worthless and the whole tire becomes like a Small Block 8. I also found that I couldn't keep them toobless for too long as they'd pry right off the rim.

Once I started playing around with the HR2, DHR, DHF's I never looked back. I see no reason to run any other tire upfront than a DHF. Those tires have saved my bacon many times. I was running a DHR on the rear for awhile and it's pretty solid, but once the middle knobs start rounding off you really start slipping out on climbs, especially when it's wet. I'm running a new DHF 2.3 TR on the back right now and it's pretty solid. Corners a little differently than the DHR but other than that not much of a difference. I ran the HR2's front and rear for a season and it's definitely a solid combo. Seems to be a stickier tire in general but wears out very quickly.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Maxxis Minion DHR2 | Blister Gear Review ? Skis, Snowboards, Mountain Bikes, Climbing, Kayaking - The most honest and in-depth reviews of outdoor sports equipment on the planet.

This is a very good review of the DHR II. After reading this review, I bought 2 DHR IIs for my DH bike next year, I'll try it untrimmed in front to start, but will probably trim the front eventually.