Thread: 1x10 question

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

1x10 question

I'm sure this has been asked a lot but I wanna go 1x10 I never use my granny gear even on big climbs. I know I want a mrp s4 chain guide. My question is do I need a new rear derailer? I don't think i would but just checking before I start taking everything apart and also do I need a spacer for where my granny gear is?

mtbr member

Sv: 1x10 question

Your rear derailer should be short or medium. And if you have an shimano shadow+ or an sram type2 derailer you will not need the chain guard.

Personally I use a single 32t (wolftooth direct mount chainring on sram s1400 gxp crank) in front and a sram x9 type2 derailer and no chain guard, and it works flawless.

Sendt fra min GT-I9505 med Tapatalk 4
    Last edited by El Cerveza; 09-08-2013 at 11:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    stock cassette, cluth type rear derailleur, 30-38T front chainring in 104bcd, chain retention device is all thats needed

Im running sram XO type 2 rear, 34T Renthal chainring on E13 LG1R crank, E13 LG1 chain guide. works flawlessly. You will probably want to cut your chain a few links shorter from what you have now

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I wanna get the renthal 38t. I have a sram x7 rear. I still should shorten the chain if I'm going with the same front chain ring?

mtbr member

Sv: 1x10 question

You don't need to shorten the chain if the chainring is the same size as the large you use now.

Sendt fra min GT-I9505 med Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    A shorter derailleur works best but if you have a long cage it will work. If you're trying to save money, run it til it breaks. I also have the Wolf Tooth with clutch RD and no chainguide and love it. Absolutely no problems, less weight and less drag.

squish, squish in da fish
    when i ran 1x10 (32T) w/ clutch RD i still needed a guide and tensioner. clutch RD's soften the slap but don't eliminate it IMHO. maybe look into a narrow/wide chainring like the xx1, RF makes one for pretty cheap. it depends on terrain and style of riding, i was using a short cage and chain of proper length too. if you're running a 38T it sounds like you are either doing a lot of DH or riding a lot of flat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I tried running an X9 type 2 with a 32 tooth bling ring and it didn't work for me. Keep in mind, I am a graceless hack on my bike and that may be part of the issue. But since I added an MRP guide I haven't dropped the chain once.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yeah I do lots of dh at ski resorts. Whats a clutch rd? Def want the mrp though I go through some pretty narley stuff. Did you leave your granny gear on or do you need a spacer?