mtbr member
    Jan 2004

1x10 Mod with 39T and 16T Cogs?

I've heard about using an Action Tec 39T ti cog and taking out the 15T and 17T and replacing with a 16T cog. This makes for an easier climbing gear in the rear.

I've also heard about skipping problems with that 16T cog.

Anyone running this and have problems and figured out how to smooth it out?
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    subscribed

I'm interested in this too.

And i'd also like to know if these cogs are compatible with a 2012 XTR cassete?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Anyone?

mtbr member
    I don't really know anything about this particular case, but if you have a well used chain-cogset combo and you add in a brand new cog I wouldn't be surprised if it skipped on the new cog. The chain has stretched and the cogs are worn and they work well with each other, but when you add a new cog, especially a fairly small one like a 16, that is a recipe for skipping. I would buy a new chain at that point, or actually I would probably just go ahead and buy a new chain to start with. If the new chain skips on the old cogs then it is time that those are replaced anyway.

I can't think of another reason why you would have trouble with a particular cog. The 39 tooth one is big enough that it wouldn't skip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Welnic View Post
    I don't really know anything about this particular case, but if you have a well used chain-cogset combo and you add in a brand new cog I wouldn't be surprised if it skipped on the new cog. The chain has stretched and the cogs are worn and they work well with each other, but when you add a new cog, especially a fairly small one like a 16, that is a recipe for skipping. I would buy a new chain at that point, or actually I would probably just go ahead and buy a new chain to start with. If the new chain skips on the old cogs then it is time that those are replaced anyway.

I can't think of another reason why you would have trouble with a particular cog. The 39 tooth one is big enough that it wouldn't skip.
    Thanks but the issue was not related to worn out cogs. Some folks have been running a modified 1x10 using a cassette with an aftermarket 16T to replace their 15T and 17T in order to make space for an oversized 39T cog. Some reported to have poor shifting with the aftermarket 16T cog.

I cant seem to find the thread relating to this modified 1x10.

mtbr member
    If its not due to differing relative wear rates, it seems to me it could only be caused BT two things: poor machining or too big of a tooth change between the next biggest (with the first being more likely IMO)

No exp with that setup but I have messed with creating custom clusters and I found things work a little easier than expected....bigger tooth jumps than come stock and I even used a few 9speed cogs on the tall end of an otherwise 10speed setup and it works fine