Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1x drivetrain crew--what size is your chainring?

11K views 89 replies 53 participants last post by  fishwrinkle 
#1 ·
Just curious what other people out there are riding on their trail/AM bikes.

I had a 30T and just swapped to a 28T but haven't ridden it yet. I find myself at least once per ride wishing I had one more easier gear but unless I'm on pavement going towards the trail, I've never wished I had higher gearing.

#13 ·
I think wheel size should be mentioned, AM rides can easily be any of the 3 major sizes. Still in the air on 1x10, been trying to ride my 2x10 setup as a 1x with 33 front. I'm thinking 30 with 11-36 will be my choice for my 27.5 on my terrain, the front could easily change depending on where I go.

#17 ·
Wheel size is relevant as well as where you ride and what type of riding.

I ride 27.5 in southern New England. Tech with lots of short climbs. I run 32 front 10-42 rear. Ratios are perfect for me. I can climb anything around here and only spin out on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
30t, but that's mainly because I was using an ultegra cassette. A 32 would probably be a little better for me now.

#21 ·
I've been toying around with different size chain rings and cassettes lately. On my 29er I'm running a 32t with a 12-36 10 speed cassette. This setup seems to suit the big wheels well, I can climb up about anything with a bit of momentum.

On my 26er I just put a 30t paired with an 11-34 9 speed cassette. The smaller wheels don't climb as well so I hope the 30t ring will get it up the steep hills.

#30 ·
32t driving an 11-36 cassette on a 26er. Techy trails with lots of steep ups and downs. Occasionally I would like one easier gear so I'm likely to stick a 40 or 42t cog on my cassette in the near future. I only spin it out on fire roads. I certainly never go fast enough for it to be an issue on any local singletrack.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.