mtbr member

180mm rotor too small for an AM bike?

I have an Enduro SL that I use mainly for trail riding. I swapped out the front Juicy 5 with a 203mm rotor for a Magura Marta with a 180mm rotor. I like it much better, but for those 2-3 times a year that I'll take the bike to lift served stuff, am I going to be in trouble? I'm not a faster rider on that stuff, and won't be riding super aggressive, but I just don't want to get there and be underpowered on the stopping front.

squish is good
    No, you'll be fine. You could probably run the Avid 203 rotor with the old adapter with the maggie brake if you are worried about it. Just clean the rotor thoroughly with some rubbing alcohol and then bed the pads in to it.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    I use 185mm rotors on any kind of riding, no problem, plenty braking power.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79
    I have an Enduro SL that I use mainly for trail riding. I swapped out the front Juicy 5 with a 203mm rotor for a Magura Marta with a 180mm rotor. I like it much better, but for those 2-3 times a year that I'll take the bike to lift served stuff, am I going to be in trouble? I'm not a faster rider on that stuff, and won't be riding super aggressive, but I just don't want to get there and be underpowered on the stopping front.
    From what you describe, you'll be fine with a 180 up front. Yeah, a 203mm might be better, but I've done days at Snowshoe with a 5.5" bike with a 180mm rotor in the front. The rest of the bike held me back more than the brakes did (actually, the brakes held me back fine, you know what I mean).

TNC
    noMAD man
    Like Clutch said, if you still have your 8" rotor, either get an adapter or use the old one if it fits and slap that thing on there for those 2-3 trips a year. IMO it's worth having a tad more brake than you need than not enough in lift served terrain. Changing a rotor and adapter is a few minute job in most cases. I'd never go to Moab without an 8" on front of my bikes, but it's often overkill at home...so I leave them on. Maybe I should take my own advice...LOL!

mtbr member
    Back in about 2000, I rode down various ski resorts across Colorado with v-brakes - they were a bit rubbish to be fair, but nether the less I got down alive and often quite quickly. Don't worry about the 180, it'll be fine...

And before anyone asks... yes, all 3 of my current rides have discs ranging from 160 - 200. And yes, I do think they're better than v-brakes - But I wouldn't lose any sleep over 20mm

Double-metric mtb man
    I personally like a 200 on the front, but then again I like 4-pot brakes and 1 finger braking. I'm a clyde rider and even so, a 180 would do me fine....
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Alien Surf Team
    When do we get dual disks on bikes like motorcycles?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I rode for two weeks in the Alps with 185 front and rear they where fine Avid Codes, rear go hot on a few rides, I think the rear had A2Z pads front was Avid Pads wasn't sure if that was making the rear get hotter.
    Although a few times I wish'd the front was more powerful, I've now changed to Hope tech 4's 203 front and 183 rear, braided and floating disk, I'm hoping they will be more than enough.

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorfish
    It's been done actually... too lazy to find the link but there was a show bike floating around with dual rear shocks and dual front brakes. I think it was a Head (the ski company) expo bike.
    Bike good, work bad.

Alien Surf Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    It's been done actually... too lazy to find the link but there was a show bike floating around with dual rear shocks and dual front brakes. I think it was a Head (the ski company) expo bike.
    Figures.

Fox will release their new 2010 forks that ONLY support dual disks in a proprietary design that only work with Shimano brakes. hahaha. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

mtbr member
    Kinda OT but very cool post from last year....

dual disk 36er
    36" versus 29" ??

Quote Originally Posted by Razorfish