Zombie Uprising

180mm/170mm/160mm fork suitable for Nomad Mk2?

Xpost from the Santa Cruz forum.
    My LBS, whose owner is a good friend of mine, has given me a good offer on a fork in each of these travel options.
    More specifically:

* 2010 Rockshox Lyrik coil (170mm - 2367g) - 620€
    * 2010 Marzocchi 55RC3 Ti coil (160mm - 2438g) - 680€
    * 2010 RockShox Totem SoloAir (180mm - 2634g) - 630€ [the outsider due to air spring for lower weight]

Given that I am currently using for AM riding and looking to replace a 2007 Marzocchi 66RV ETA (160mm) weighting 3.1kg , which one of the above three forks do you think suits the Nomad better and why?
    I would really appreciate suggestions from riders who own one of the above forks for at least this season and can give an educated opinion about the pros and cons of each fork for AM riding.
    To cut a long story short, which would you choose and why?

PS. Sorry for the big size photos, didn't realize it because their size in kb was not that big, at least they are clear enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 180mm/170mm/160mm fork suitable for Nomad Mk2?-rs_lyrikcoil.jpg  

180mm/170mm/160mm fork suitable for Nomad Mk2?-marz_55rc3-ti.jpg  

180mm/170mm/160mm fork suitable for Nomad Mk2?-rs_totemsoloair.jpg  

Last edited by tp806; 11-10-2010 at 10:09 PM.

mtbr member
    What about a Fox Van RC2 180mm?

Zombie Uprising
    To be honest I think that the sweet spot for AM riding with the Nomad is the 160mm, that is why I am not considering the VAN 180.
    The totem solo air was just a last what if option since it is the only with air spring of the three available forks and at a good price/weight ratio sort of speak.

mtbr member
    Ahh I picked up a brand new talas 160R for $400 USD earlier this year from bike wagon. So maybe consider a Fox as well?

usually cranky
    lower totem would be bad ass. a little lighter than the 55 to boot.

mtbr member
    For Nomad, I have tried all 3 forks you have there and I would suggest the lyrik with the DH damper or the New 55 Micro Ti
    Ride it like you Stole it

fan of maple syrup
    I run a Lyrik Solo Air on my Nomad Mk2, and it's the best feeling fork I've ridden so far. Add to the fact that I'm more a Rockshox fan than anything else, I'd opt for the Lyrik also. Back when I got my fork, Coil meant it also came with U-Turn - don't know if that's still the case, but my one U-Turn experience was that I never used it, and just learned to position myself differently for climbing. I don't know how much weight it adds to the equation if it's there.

I reckon the Totem would be good for shuttle/lift days though.

Zombie Uprising
    The weight difference between the first two forks is not that significant to be honest, but for less money the Lyrik does offer 10mm more travel.
    On the other hand I've been waiting for 3 years (2007-2010) for Marzocchi to get back at their game, '08-'09 produced crap forks so I kept my '07 66.
    So any more 2010 55RC3 reviews/opinions are really appreciated. That purple Brian Lopes Ltd edition would look sweet on my white Nomad, no doubt.

wuss
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered
    I run a Lyrik Solo Air on my Nomad Mk2, and it's the best feeling fork I've ridden so far. Add to the fact that I'm more a Rockshox fan than anything else, I'd opt for the Lyrik also. Back when I got my fork, Coil meant it also came with U-Turn - don't know if that's still the case, but my one U-Turn experience was that I never used it, and just learned to position myself differently for climbing. I don't know how much weight it adds to the equation if it's there.

I reckon the Totem would be good for shuttle/lift days though.
    Not the case any more, you can get a Lyrik with a coil spring and no u-turn. It's then fixed length at 170mm, and has preload adjustment (with spacers).