s62
    mtbr member

16.5" or 18.5"?!?

So, my current rig is a crappy K2 Zed 1.0. Actually, it's not at all crappy, just bottom line, but that's besides the point. What's important is that it fits me really well. It's a Medium from k2, which means:

MD (16-17"), fits 5'6" to 5'10"

I'm 5'10 and a half without shoes. 5'11 and a half with 'em. So I'm in a weird in-between place. I like the MD fit better than the large, tho.
    So, I'm considering an Ibex (although answering this question will answer it for WHATEVER bike I get, not just Ibex). The Ibex Medium size is 18.5! Large is 20.5. Small is 16.5. So I'm guess their small is comparable to the K2 Medium? Do you think I'm better with the getting a medium Ibex, or a small (16.5?) Also, what does it mean that k2 lists the size as 16-17"? It can only be one measurement, not a spectrum.

So, specifically for All Mountain, which way should I lean?

mtbr member
    measurements could vary because they are probably measuring center of BB to top of seat collar. If their seat collar is a little higher or lower than usual they may reflect that by providing a range.

I am 5'8" and 1 quarter and right between a small and a medium. Smalls are usually too small for me. My Yeti, which runs large, is a small; and it barely fits with a laid back seat post and longish stem.

If you were 5'9", I wouldn't know what to tell ya. But at 5'10", I am pretty sure that you would always be a medium. No medium is too big for you. that's my $.02.

Master of None
    Try not to go by the seat tube length. A much better measure is the effective top tube length. If the seat tube is too short you just pull the post out a bit more but if the top tube is wrong you need to move the seat, longer stem, etc. which all have other effects on geometry and handling.

All that said, I prefer smaller frames. I'm 6'1" w/ 34" inseam and use 18-19" seat tube frames.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Definitely check the top tube length as Presslab says. It's equally important, and harder to make changes if it's not right.
    http://www.bioniconusa.com - Bionicon USA
    http://otbmbc.com - Over the Bars MTB Club
    http://corbamtb.com - CORBA

s62
    mtbr member
    Unfortunately, I'm mail ordering the Ibex... Can't break out the ol' measuring tape on it. Perhaps it's in the geometry.

Company CSR
    Quote Originally Posted by s62
    Unfortunately, I'm mail ordering the Ibex... Can't break out the ol' measuring tape on it. Perhaps it's in the geometry.
    Yes, we publish T/T lengths on our geometry charts. Who doesn't? It's 23" for the 18.5" Atlas frame.

Jack A.
    IBEX Bicycles
    IBEX Bicycles Company CSR

www.ibexbikes.com

s62
    mtbr member
    Ah, thanks for the info, Jack. I'm new to mountain biking, so I don't know much about geometry, etc. I wasn't sure if that was a standard measurement published. Thanks for it, though. I look forward to riding one of your bikes.

Cuánto pesa?
    s62,

Congratz dude Be sure and post up some PICs here and over on the IBEX board..

Jake

PS. There's people over on the IBEX board wondering with way you decided to go..