Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

15mm vs 20mm axle for 150mm fork

I'm thinking about dropping some coin on the revelation world cup with its carbon crown goodness. But, its only available for aftermarket with a 15mm axle, not 20mm.

It seems to me that since 150mm is the longest travel fork available in 32mm stanchions, its probably pushing the limit before you really want 36mm or at least 34mm stanchions. So its probably a good idea to have a burly axle to help with stiffness. But maybe it doesn't make that much difference?

Anyone tried the same fork in 15 and 20mm versions, could you tell a difference?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible View Post
    I'm thinking about dropping some coin on the revelation world cup with its carbon crown goodness. But, its only available for aftermarket with a 15mm axle, not 20mm.

It seems to me that since 150mm is the longest travel fork available in 32mm stanchions, its probably pushing the limit before you really want 36mm or at least 34mm stanchions. So its probably a good idea to have a burly axle to help with stiffness. But maybe it doesn't make that much difference?

Anyone tried the same fork in 15 and 20mm versions, could you tell a difference?
    If you go 15mm, I would highly recommend using a hub that is convertible to 20mm. That's been my biggest gripe with 15mm, rehubbing wheels for when I upgrade forks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I already have hubs that are 20mm, so I'd need adapters for 15. Another strike against 15mm for me at least.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    15mm axle is just a commercial thing made by fox and shimano. >_<

Stabbitha
    15mm falls almost exactly between 9mm and 20mm in terms of stiffness. The system (wheel+fork) weight difference between 15 and 20 is very slight.

My advice is: if you weigh more than 175 in riding gear and/or run big tires, go 20mm.

I weigh about 190 fully kitted and definitely don't feel comfortable on less than a 20mm. I absolutely LOVE my Revelation WC. Best all-around fork out there...but I had to purchase a set of lower legs with the fork. Worth every penny.

-Mike
    I AM HERE TO IRRITATE YOU SO THAT YOU POST MORE AND STAY OFF YOUR BIKE.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    New lowers eh? What'd that set you back, if you don't mind my asking?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post
    I've heard a lot of people grip that 15mm ends up not being much of a difference from 9mm in terms of stiffness. No data, just what I've heard.

I'm getting amped up to buy a Revelation XX for my Remedy to replace my 07 Fox 36, so I too have the 20mm hubs.

I think that even if I was getting new wheels I would go with the 20 over the 15.
    15mm is definitely stiffer feeling than 9mm, however, it isn't as stiff as 20mm. It is still a closed thru-axle system.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    I've heard a lot of people grip that 15mm ends up not being much of a difference from 9mm in terms of stiffness. No data, just what I've heard.

I'm getting amped up to buy a Revelation XX for my Remedy to replace my 07 Fox 36, so I too have the 20mm hubs.

I think that even if I was getting new wheels I would go with the 20 over the 15.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_R View Post
    Whether that is the case, even Rock Shox that resisted it from the start, admitted that it is the way to go and got on board. It is not a bad standard, it is open, it is better then QR and lighter then 20mm.

That said, I will rather use 20mm if given a choice.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I just dropped a 36 to 120mm.........feels really stiff compared to the 32 that was on there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    This may be a dumb question but how do you drop a 36 to 120mm? I may be interested in doing this.

wuss
    If it's a float you just put spacers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    This ^^^

We had 9mm QR and 20mm thru-axles for a while, then RockShox developed the 20mm Maxle - a great practical 20mm quick release, then - BAM - Shimano and Fox come up with the 15mm standard...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by deoreo View Post
    This ^^^

We had 9mm QR and 20mm thru-axles for a while, then RockShox developed the 20mm Maxle - a great practical 20mm quick release, then - BAM - Shimano and Fox come up with the 15mm standard...
    The horror.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    The horror.
    It is what it is.
    And like you said above, if given a choice, I'd rather use a 20mm axle, too.

Stabbitha
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible View Post
    New lowers eh? What'd that set you back, if you don't mind my asking?
    Part runs right around $175, comes with seals and bushings installed. I threw 'em myself and saved on the labor.

-Mike
    I AM HERE TO IRRITATE YOU SO THAT YOU POST MORE AND STAY OFF YOUR BIKE.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Is a 20mm hub with a 15mm adapter as good as a 15mm hub? Is there any loss in using the adapter?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The 15mm axle forks I have seen and used are physical and functional, not just commercial.

Would be nice if there was just one front through axle standard.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by kramerica5000 View Post
    Is a 20mm hub with a 15mm adapter as good as a 15mm hub? Is there any loss in using the adapter?
    Done right, no problem. And not all hubs are convertible.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    All other things being equal, 15mm axles are wayyyy stiffer than 9mm. But, there is more to it than just numbers, you can't say 20mm is better than 15mm or even 32mm is better than 33, 34, 35, 36mm or whatever the "magic" stanchion size is this month.

My point is, I could make a fork out of rubber with a tapered steerer and 20mm and I bet it would be a lot flexier than a fifteen year old SID.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Would be nice if there was just one front through axle standard.
    Would be nice if everyone was the same weight and did the same kind of riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    All other things being equal, 15mm axles are wayyyy stiffer than 9mm. But, there is more to it than just numbers, you can't say 20mm is better than 15mm or even 32mm is better than 33, 34, 35, 36mm or whatever the "magic" stanchion size is this month.

My point is, I could make a fork out of rubber with a tapered steerer and 20mm and I bet it would be a lot flexier than a fifteen year old SID.
    No sh*t. But, they ARE talking about the same EXACT fork but 15mm vs 20mm. Still in general comparing various forks of different materials (real metal forks not rubber ones) there should be some degree of consensus on the the stiffness characteristics of 15mm vs 20mm.

Stop being dramatic.
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Whether that is the case, even Rock Shox that resisted it from the start, admitted that it is the way to go and got on board. It is not a bad standard, it is open, it is better then QR and lighter then 20mm.

That said, I will rather use 20mm if given a choice.
    Anyone know how much lighter? I thought someone once posted that the weight savings was negligible? RS just gives the weight of their forks for the QR version (cheaters, lol). I'm in the market for a new trail fork and would prefer to stick with 20mm but may have to go 15 based on availability.

Have FUN!

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I ended up with a 20mm tapered revelation rlt ti dual air. On my scale it weighs 1775g with the 20mm axle.

FWIW, fox lists their "2010 32 FLOAT 150 FIT RLC" fork at 1760g on their website. That has the 15mm axle. Apples and oranges though.

If anyone has a reliable weight for the 15mm revelation rlt ti dual air, that would give us the difference between 15mm and 20mm.

For me at least I'd need to throw in the weight of the 20 -> 15mm hub adapters, probably 10-20 grams I'd guess.
    Last edited by Ansible; 08-15-2011 at 06:04 AM.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Anyone know how much lighter? I thought someone once posted that the weight savings was negligible? RS just gives the weight of their forks for the QR version (cheaters, lol). I'm in the market for a new trail fork and would prefer to stick with 20mm but may have to go 15 based on availability.

Have FUN!

G
    RockShox Add 15mm Axle Option For Select 2011 Forks - BikeRadar

Quote Originally Posted by Sadney Rigney
    Previously youíve said that you can build a fork with a 20mm through-axle thatís lighter and stiffer than one with a 15mm axle. Is this still the case?

Iíll have to dance around that one a little bit because we have some new Maxle Lite technology that we haven't released yet and will not be releasing until our global product launch in May. Suffice to say, in the case of the 20mm Maxle Lite system or the 15mm Maxle Lite system, weíll have some new technology thatís even lighter and even stiffer than where weíve been in the past.

Can you tell us now which one will come out ahead? Which system will be lighter?

My guess will be that the 15x100mm will be lighter. Itís not a guess; 15x100mm will be lighter as ... the system is somewhat out of our control because of the hub element. 15mm is new for us, so we canít do an apples to apples comparison between old and new, but in the case of the new 20mm system, it's lighter and stiffer than in the past [when compared to the old 20mm Maxle Lite system].
    He did not say. I guess somebody need to weight.

15mm specific hub (with smaller bearings the convertible 20mm) could be lighter too, I would guess.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast