Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

140/150mm travel frames?

The wife has commandeered my Liteville 301 mk9 so I'm looking for something new.

I'm coming from the Liteville, a Pivot Firebird and a Pivot Mach 5. I've been happy with all of the bikes but wouldn't mind something different.

I think another Firebird style bike bit more bike than what I'm after so I was thing about something in the 140/150mm travel range, below 7lbs for the frame and shock. There is a lot of technical style riding around, but not a lot of big air lines. I've got a spare set of Marz 44 RC3 Ti or RS Revelation WC forks lying around (depending on what I put on the Liteville), and would like a frame that can run the CCDB Air rear shock.

The list I have so far includes:
    Ibis Mojo HD (cannot run the CCDB Air on the small frame size)
    Knolly Endorphin (unsure if the CCDB will work on it)
    Pivot Mach 5.7C (again unsure if the CCDB Air will work)
    Banshee Spitfire V2 (hated the original version)
    Liteville 301 mk10 (again unsure if the CCDB Air will work)

Thoughts? Have I missed something or got the wrong idea about anything I've listed?

is RAD
    Nicolai with a pinion gearbox? A sealed drive train would be good for places with lots of sand/dust like Appin.

Are you considering 27.5"?

mtbr member
    I was set on a Nicolai with the Pinion gearbox but can't get past the weight. It sucks that Appin is now closed as well.

I'm not sold on 27.5/650b just yet. I'll have to try one out. I've hated every 29er I've tried so far.

Huffy Rider
    CanfieldThe One.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    CanfieldThe One.
    Great bike, but it's not what the OP is looking for.
    Last edited by Vertr; 11-05-2012 at 05:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979@optusnet.com.au View Post
    Thoughts? Have I missed something or got the wrong idea about anything I've listed?
    Of that list I'd have the Liteville or the Mojo HD. More likely the Liteville just because.

However, earlier this year I bought a Cotic Rocket and I'm loving it. It is something of a heavy duty frame though, between being steel and the geometry it's closer to a park bike than most 150mm frames. Probably won't take a ccdb-a in small size either. Still, loving it.

mtbr member
    The new 2013 enduro comes with a CCDB air and the enduro is a killer AM bike. The older frames may fit a CCDB air as well. I'm a total enduro fan boy, but for good reason. I've ridden all the bikes on your list and then some and I prefer the enduro. They should buy the name slayer off rocky mountain because it slays all AM bikes out there and levels mountains.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    CanfieldThe One.
    A little more travel and a lower bb in their AM setting than I'm after.

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveagibsonsg View Post
    The new 2013 enduro comes with a CCDB air and the enduro is a killer AM bike. The older frames may fit a CCDB air as well. I'm a total enduro fan boy, but for good reason. I've ridden all the bikes on your list and then some and I prefer the enduro. They should buy the name slayer off rocky mountain because it slays all AM bikes out there and levels mountains.
    How well does the 2013 climb compare to those on my list. I haven't been that impressed with the climbing of previous model Specialized bikes I've ridden. They've always felt like they get stuck on square edge stuff and don't feel as efficient as my current bikes when going up. Descending feels good on all though.

mtbr member
    I put a talas fork on my enduro so the climbing has never been an issue. The 2013 was revamped from the previous model to be a superior climber. It has a slacker HTA compared to the other bikes you're looking at which is why they're not as good of climbers and superior descenders. It's a small trade off for me because I'm more concerned about stability downhill and not getting hurt than sweating a little more and being in better shape by having a more challenging climb.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Ive got the pivot mach 5.7 carbon and am wishing i had gone for somthing a little bigger like the mojo hd. My riding style has got alot more aggressive and feel like i have a need for the extra bit of travel and a proper chainguide but i do like how well the pivot climbs and assume the ibis would be similar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveagibsonsg View Post
    only the s-works enduro is spec'd with the ccdb air. and i have been told ccdb will not fit the aluminum from. i have only heard rumors so far that Can creek will be building a db air for the '10-'12 frames.

i have a '12 enduro with a dual position lyrik set up on it, climbs great, never notice it getting stuck anywhere, and obviously it descends like a raped ape.

if there is any other bike that was mentioned in this thread it would be the knolly endorphin.
    everything ive heard is descending is as plush or better than the spesh, and way better climbing yet still active when needed in climbs.
    Juice

Mr. Knowitall
    Yeti SB-66c if you have the newer DBAir air can. If you liked the mk9, why not go for the MK10?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp View Post
    Yeti SB-66c if you have the newer DBAir air can. If you liked the mk9, why not go for the MK10?
    Never been a fan of the Yetis I've ridden, although they've always been 575s. I want something different to what I already have, but something that will perform at least as good. I just got a response from Knolly saying the CCDB Air will fit so it looks like the Endorphin for me.

is RAD
    Turner 5spot.

Judging from the bikes you've listed (as past and possible future rides) you prefer bikes with highish anti-squat. I don't think the knolly will be to your tastes in that regard. If that's not the case, then perhaps get a test ride on a Duebel? SP's can be suprisingly fun.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979@optusnet.com.au View Post
    A little more travel and a lower bb in their AM setting than I'm after.

How well does the 2013 climb compare to those on my list. I haven't been that impressed with the climbing of previous model Specialized bikes I've ridden. They've always felt like they get stuck on square edge stuff and don't feel as efficient as my current bikes when going up. Descending feels good on all though.
    Ok good, Im not the only person on the planet that felt this!! it drove me nuts, I could feel it going down really rocky stuff even more so if it was at slower techy speeds. I sold my enduro for this reason alone. The geo was NAILED for a AM ripper though.
    The rune V2 is looking pretty promising with adjustable geo, and the 27.5 option drop outs if you want to try that route as well. Kinda like the hans dampf of all mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm thinking about a Norco Sight. Might fit the bill for you too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Titus el Guapo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Cuz View Post
    Turner 5spot.

Judging from the bikes you've listed (as past and possible future rides) you prefer bikes with highish anti-squat. I don't think the knolly will be to your tastes in that regard. If that's not the case, then perhaps get a test ride on a Duebel? SP's can be suprisingly fun.
    I've tested the Duebel. I'm not a fan.

is RAD
    If your feeling generous with your time, pm me your opinion on the duebel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    titus el guapo comes with the double barrel already fitted and is amazing value at the moment.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    +1 on the Turner 5 Spot. Built well, rides well and good customer service too.

Keep on Rockin...

Right on.

Quote Originally Posted by skyak View Post
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude frame.
    On paper this bike looks great. I've got some time on the 650b and having owned multiple 26" and 29" bikes I can say this new wheel size is the real deal on the right frame. For AM applications might be just the ticket.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Cuz View Post
    Nicolai with a pinion gearbox? A sealed drive train would be good for places with lots of sand/dust like Appin.
    I think you jinxed me! I just got back from a ride where a stick has bent either the hanger or rear derailleur. A Helius AC with Pinion gearbox is back on the cards.

mtbr member
    The Chili looks nice. If you have not pulled the trigger yet have you looked at the Tracer or Carbine from Intense?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast