mtbr member

12' Trek Slash vs 11' Ibis Mojo HD

first off sorry for another vs thread but i need some outside input.

Will be purchasing a new frame within the next month. Have narrowed it down to the above two. Main debate is carbon vs aluminum. I do tend to wreck in rocky areas frequently given the terrain around here. Some have told me alu will hold up better others say carbon and argue it can be repaired. Also the Slash has iscg tabs where as the Mojo does not and i do own a hammerschmidt. Not completely opposed to selling it though and going to reg 2x10. I really like the mojo but am just concerned about the durability as this will be my do all bike for the next few years and I will be putting lots of hard miles on it. I realize that there probably isnt a lot of experience with the slash but any input is welcome. Thanks in advance.

RideDirt
    Dont know much about the bikes but i would say its safer to go alum frame , dont get me wrong carbon is extremely durable , but when it breaks , it shatters or spiders out in a million pieces . I have never heard of "repairing " carbon tho . At the end of the day, its your money thats being spent and whatever makes you happy . Good luck with your choice !

mtbr member
    I dh my ibis in colorado aka the rocky mountains- I use to worry about carbon- one ride on the ibis and my fears went away- not to mention ibis is #1 in customer service

mtbr member
    Do a forum search as there are tonnes of threads about carbon durability.

I wouldn't be worried about carbon at all.
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Carbon of the past you needed to worry a bit but the new carbon weaves and the way they lay it now it is as strong as any alu fram and usually stiffer and technically can be repaired however isn't common. Alu can't be repaired but typically will dent prior to actually cracking and breaking. I personally still like alu more but old habbits die hard and besides being stiffer the main goal out of getting carbon is to go lighter but they are usually only a 1lbs or so lighter and cost close to a G more. So your call on that. As for the mojo not having iscg tabs, unless it has a external bottom bracket which you can then get a chain guide for anyways, I would definately want those if you are going to be doing everything and riding gnarly trails. Chain slap is annoying and dropping a chain sucks! If you want carbo and wanted a do everything bike I would look at maybe a C'dale Jeckyll and their carbon is bomb proof military grade!