mtbr member
    Jul 2012

'12 Nomad 26". Upgrade, replace, or tune up?

I've been thinking about switching a few things up on my 2012 Nomad carbon. The main focus is the rear shock. From there I'm looking at the fork and possibly a 1x switch.

Rear shock: currently running a Fox RP23 that came stock on the bike. I'd love to switch it out to a Cane a Creek DB Air. (Around $700)
    Front fork: The Fox 36 talas sticks a little, not too bad. I rode a friend's bike with a 2014 Pike the other day, and wow. (Pike around $900, or complete rebuild around $200)
    I've always found that when a drivetrain is executing flawlessly, you don't touch it. Once I get to the point that stuff has to be replaced, I could switch over to a remod 1x system. ($400)

I am not a racer, but do ride the bike hard 2-4 times a week. Do I spend the money on this 26" ride? Or save it up and jump on a 27.5 in the next year?

'12 Nomad 26". Upgrade, replace, or tune up?-image.jpg

Sorry about the crappy sideways shot.

mtbr member
    I'm kind of in the same boat, but plan to keep my NomadC for a long time still.
    Even if i buy a 27,5 wheeled bike i think i'll keep my current Nomad.

Yes, swap the RP23 to the CCDB Air, but remember to get the CS and, more important, the XV version.

Regarding the fork i advise you to have the Talas cartridge changed for a Van cartridge. If you really want something new, yeah get the Pike.

mtbr member
    id get a new bike. always fun to get a new bike
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    If you aren't in to huge jumps or bike park gnar, you may want to check out the new Cane Creek DB Inline. It has all the adjustability of the double barrel air, including the CS switch, but in an inline package (no piggy back) and is lighter and cheaper ($500 instead of $700). That would open up more cash to use toward your fork decision, and the Inline is going to be an amazing shock too. As far as the whole 26" VS 27.5", do you enjoy your current nomad? If so, there's no reason to switch. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

CCDB Inline CS - https://www.canecreek.com/products/suspension/dbinline

Some previews and first reports on the shock- New Cane Creek Double Barrel Inline Shock Brings Twin Tube Tech to Trail Bikes Everywhere!

Cane Creek's New DBinline Shock - First Ride - Pinkbike

Cane Creek DBinline Air Shock ? Reviews, Comparisons, Specs ? Mountain Bike Rear Shocks - Vital MTB
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    BTW i forgot to say this on my previous post.

Put a -1.5 Works Components headset and just enjoy your Nomad.

Slower But Faster
    That's a sweet Nomad especially with the Enve rims; it would be a shame to see it go. I'd go along with the suggestion to change the Talas cartridge for a Van. Rear shock: the CCDB Air is in a class of it's own but the RS Vivid Air or Monarch Plus (maybe even Debonair if you can get your hands on one) are pretty nice too and a bit less expensive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NomadSC View Post
    Rear shock: currently running a Fox RP23 that came stock on the bike. I'd love to switch it out to a Cane a Creek DB Air. (Around $700)
    Front fork: The Fox 36 talas sticks a little, not too bad.
    Send your 36 to Avalanche and either do the same with your RP23 (cheaper) or buy one of Craig's own coil shocks (more expensive, but my goodness they are good shocks).

That will give your bike suspension tuning of a level that most World Cup athletes don't get. The Avy shocks outperform a CCDB comfortably (but are tuned to specific riders and their bike rather than the CCDB's massive range of adjustment, so getting one means committing to your Nomad). I have no experience of the Avy tuned RP23 yet, but I'm sending a(nother) big box of stuff to him tomorrow, so soon.

If a bike's reliable I see no reason to replace it , you would gain more from proper suspension tuning than 0.9in extra diameter wheels or a 1x drivetrain.

I would get rid of the TALAS for Float or Van too, but that depends on how much you like/use the travel adjust.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    id get a new bike. always fun to get a new bike
    hehe of course it's fun but it's also expensive

mtbr member
    upgrade to pike, CCDB air and sell the OEM components, the absolute worse case is selling the nomad for the marketed, shove down the consumers throat 27.5 as though it's superior(which it isn't nor will it be)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    ....the absolute worse case is selling the nomad for the marketed, shove down the consumers throat 27.5 as though it's superior(which it isn't nor will it be)
    Agree with this part, don't sell just because marketing is pushing you. That 2012 Nomad is beautiful and has miles and miles of performance left in it. If your board with it is one thing but that bike will be relevant 5-6 years down the road depending on how your riding it at the time. I saw a few kids this last weekend on Gary Fisher 26" Hi-Fi's ripping it up on UPS/LPS....a little tune up goes a long way I like the suggestions above for sure.

Ow!
    If interested in a new bike, I recommend to anyone to test ride one. You might like the new Nomad, which may make it worthwhile for you.

I have a "old" Nomadc, with the very "old" 135mm rear. I just bought a DBAir for it recently (new, but for $375 off ebay). Before that, I was using a Manitou Evolver, which was great. But, almost anything is better than those RPs. It will be interesting to see how the DB works. It has the "little" can on there now, so I may get a XV can if I think it can do better. On the front is a Marz 55 RC3, with a 66 RC3 available for tougher duty. I love both on the Nomad. Also have a DHX 5 coil too (used it and the 66 for DH last summer). Yeah, I do not think I will be getting rid of it anytime soon. It seems to satisfy in so many situations. And a completely new bike will involve substantial investment.

So, I am biased towards upgrading the old Nomad, but only if you are happy with it. Have you also thought about something with less travel, like the Bronson?

mtbr member
    May 2012

You just have to choose your wheel size and be a dick about the others.

You may also want to decide if you are an "endoro" or "all mountain" rider.

After you have done these things, your choice will become clear.

mtbr member

I have a 2009 Nomad Mk2 AL and a new Mach 6. The Nomad has solid workman level components while the M6 has XX1 and bling everything.

The M6 is nicer for sure, but the Nomad is damn good and would be really comparable with the same level of bling.

The best upgrade I did to my Nomad was sending my shock to Avalanche for a custom tune. It was like riding a new bike. Highly recommended.

With big 2.4" tires on the Nomad you get a lot of the roll over benefit of the 650B wheel without spending a lot of $$. I've got Conti Trail King 2.4" tires on the bike in the image above.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nightofthefleming View Post
    If you aren't in to huge jumps or bike park gnar, you may want to check out the new Cane Creek DB Inline. It has all the adjustability of the double barrel air, including the CS switch, but in an inline package (no piggy back) and is lighter and cheaper ($500 instead of $700). That would open up more cash to use toward your fork decision, and the Inline is going to be an amazing shock too. As far as the whole 26" VS 27.5", do you enjoy your current nomad? If so, there's no reason to switch. If it isn't broken, don't fix it[/url]
    I have been staring at that shock for a couple of days. I really hadn't thought about the weight and $ savings on it. I could pick it up, tune the fork for now, and still be around $700. Now the question for the backend I pose to everyone is:

The Cane Creek DBair Cs XV with a lil extra weight and more travel, or the lighter DB Inline that tops out at 150mm?

I don't do much park riding. No close shuttles. There are a few 5'-6' drops I hit in Pisgah and a few 12-15' gaps I hit every now and then. Besides those few features, and a couple smaller jumps and drops, I'm really just trying to cut back on the rattle of roots and rocks without losing too much climbing capability.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

I have a 2009 Nomad Mk2 AL and a new Mach 6. The Nomad has solid workman level components while the M6 has XX1 and bling everything.

The M6 is nicer for sure, but the Nomad is damn good and would be really comparable with the same level of bling.

The best upgrade I did to my Nomad was sending my shock to Avalanche for a custom tune. It was like riding a new bike. Highly recommended.

With big 2.4" tires on the Nomad you get a lot of the roll over benefit of the 650B wheel without spending a lot of $$. I've got Conti Trail King 2.4" tires on the bike in the image above.
    i always love seeing pics of this rig.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    That's a sweet Nomad especially with the Enve rims[img]****************/nEY531a[/img]

Unit 91
    I had a Nomad Carbon with an RP23 for my last bike and ended up having the rear shocked Pushed. This def helped with the overall ride, but thinking back, I wish I would have went for a CCDB Air or a Vivid Air. I think the two mentioned line up with this bikes ride ability. The CCDB Air appears to have more adjustments, which can be a bad thing, but this could allow you to tune for different situations. It also sounds like you are in NC, so having problems with your Cane Creek won't be a problem since they are around the corner!

I own a Pike on my current bike, but I personally don't think the Pike is a good match for the Nomad. This bike deserves something with a 20mm thru axle so sounds like switching to a Float or VAN cartridge will save you a ton and in a sense upgrade your fork.
    Bikes

mtbr member

I have been staring at that shock for a couple of days. I really hadn't thought about the weight and $ savings on it. I could pick it up, tune the fork for now, and still be around $700. Now the question for the backend I pose to everyone is:

The Cane Creek DBair Cs XV with a lil extra weight and more travel, or the lighter DB Inline that tops out at 150mm?

I don't do much park riding. No close shuttles. There are a few 5'-6' drops I hit in Pisgah and a few 12-15' gaps I hit every now and then. Besides those few features, and a couple smaller jumps and drops, I'm really just trying to cut back on the rattle of roots and rocks without losing too much climbing capability.

As you can tell, I don't have a Nomad. If the DB Inline doesn't come in the correct length, I wouldn't even consider it. I just assumed it did.
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member

The DB Inline comes in the correct shock length for the new nomad. Why do you think it would only give you 150 mm of travel?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nightofthefleming View Post
    The DB Inline comes in the correct shock length for the new nomad. Why do you think it would only give you 150 mm of travel?
    It may go slightly over the 150 mm. I just read this on pinkbike:

"Cane Creek designed the $495 USD DBinline to be used on bikes sporting 120 - 150mm of travel, and the bottom line is that it's going to increase the capabilities of any mid-travel bike that it's bolted to."

They do make the size shock to fit the 2012 Nomad. Here's what the folks at cane creek recommended:

" I would say that for this particular bike, you are kind of at the upper limit of the DBInline (since it works better with more air volume) so I would recommend sticking with the DBAir-CS. Now, if you want to save some weight, the DBInline is plenty capable and lighter, but I think the DBAir-CS will be the best fit for this frame. "

Soooooooo.......it'd fit, but it would be pushing it.

mtbr member
    It may go slightly over the 150 mm. I just read this on pinkbike:

"Cane Creek designed the $495 USD DBinline to be used on bikes sporting 120 - 150mm of travel, and the bottom line is that it's going to increase the capabilities of any mid-travel bike that it's bolted to."

They do make the size shock to fit the 2012 Nomad. Here's what the folks at cane creek recommended:

" I would say that for this particular bike, you are kind of at the upper limit of the DBInline (since it works better with more air volume) so I would recommend sticking with the DBAir-CS. Now, if you want to save some weight, the DBInline is plenty capable and lighter, but I think the DBAir-CS will be the best fit for this frame. "

Soooooooo.......it'd fit, but it would be pushing it.
    That doesn't mean there is a limit on how much travel the shock will have, that just means Cane Creek designed it for trail bike use in the 120-150mm range. It doesn't mean the shock can only produce 150mm max. The Nomad uses a 216 x 63mm shock, which the DB Inline comes in, so you would get all 160mm of travel with an inline. I agree that the DBACS is probably a better choice, just saying the Inline would work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Just refreshed my Alloy 12 Nomad a few weeks ago. I swapped out my coil 170mm lyrik for a 160mm 27.5 Pike, CC Anglset and X01 drivetrain. The rear I haven't touched yet but it's a PUSH link with Fox RC4 and Ti Coil, I currently have a preorder on the dbinline. I really like the push link setup, but it's a bit heavy and I have since bought a DH bike so its a bit of overkill to drag the weight around now.

I have mixed thoughts on the dbinline, but it will be like 2 more months before they even ship so there is time to decide if that's what I really want.

I'm really back in love with my Nomad again, I don't have any intentions of buying a new frame for awhile. I also feel good about my upgrades because if I do want to get a new frame I have stuff worth transferring over.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If you descend fast through pretty rough terrain, the best upgrade you can do to a Nomad is get the Push link and a coil shock. That bike absolutely deserves it and will descend like a beast afterwards. I've tried the CCDB Air and the Vivid Air (tuned by the RockShox demo crew). Doesn't compare to what the Push link with a coil shock can do. It really becomes a pocket DH bike.

I run a Lyrik U-Turn coil on the front with a -1 angleset. The travel adjust makes a BIG difference on steep climbs, even before I had the angleset, and the coil for the down is beautiful as well. I wish they had made a Totem Coil U-Turn.

I also own a Yeti ASR-5 built up around 26lbs as a lesser trail bike. Great pairing between low BB, lightweight poppy and playful bike for smooth flow trails, and heavy burly plow bike for the rough stuff and bike parks.