mtbr member
    Aug 2013

10sp Shimano XT Deore Drive train on a 2010 Yukon FX Rear Derailleur hits 36T gear.

Upgraded my 2010 Giant Yukon FX with 10sp Shimano XT Deore drive train (11-36T Cassette, CN-HG94 Chain, FC-M780 42-32-24 crank set, M781 SGS Long cage derailleur). Everything plays together well and I'm happy with the set up for a second bike (know it's heavy but i'm a big guy). My problem is when in the low (36T) gear, the rear derailleur guide pulley hits the gear. The tightening the "B Nut" fixes this but then I get chain jump. I'm using a wheels mfg #21 DR hanger. I thinking if i could get .125 to .25 inches longer DR hanger Id be fine. Any Thoughts??

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    You need to tighten the screw that pushes on the hanger. I don't know if it's called the "B Nut" or not, but that bolt pulls the pulley away from the cassette. If your chain jumps after that, it's probably a cable tension issue. Possibly a low limit screw adjustment. Make sure the pulley is directly in line with the cog on the cassette.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks, I'll work on it but its frustrating to have this new drive train not working. i did look at it with the b Nut tightened enough for pulley clearance and it only changes about 1 & 1/2 gear teeth on the cassette which shouldn't make the chain jump, so your right, maybe my problem is elsewhere. thanks for the help