mtbr member
    Apr 2006

10mm x 135mm Thru Axle

Are any of you guys using a thru axle for your rear? I'm thinking about getting one (http://www.balleracing.com/Hadley/Hadley10mmAxle.htm) to help stiffen things up a bit. I'm using a standard Deore QR now.

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jutt77
    Are any of you guys using a thru axle for your rear?
    This is a mountain bike forum jk

Actually I am looking into getting the kit for my King. I run tubeless so having to change a flat isn't even a consideration. Seeing as I only get one a year or less.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by coldsteele
    This is a mountain bike forum jk

Actually I am looking into getting the kit for my King. I run tubeless so having to change a flat isn't even a consideration. Seeing as I only get one a year or less.
    Yeah, I run a tank of a rear wheel/tire too so I'm not too worried about flats, but that Hadley thru axle uses a 6mm hex so I could still do a trailside change if I had to.

mtbr member
    What kind of hub do you have now, Hadley I am assuming? I would also like to go this route but no point in getting one for my Deore rear hub, i'll just wait till I get a new wheelset and then get a hub already set up with the thru-axle.

Chillin the Most
    Are any of you guys using a thru axle for your rear? I'm thinking about getting one (http://www.balleracing.com/Hadley/Hadley10mmAxle.htm) to help stiffen things up a bit. I'm using a standard Deore QR now.
    That axle will not work on any Shimano cup/cone hub (ala: Deore). However, you can convert your Deore to a bolt on 10mm, pretty much the same deal as the Hadley. I've done this to several hubs, works great. good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMtnB44
    What kind of hub do you have now, Hadley I am assuming? I would also like to go this route but no point in getting one for my Deore rear hub, i'll just wait till I get a new wheelset and then get a hub already set up with the thru-axle.
    I have an Abbah rear hub w/ a Deore QR. The website states "Fits Hadley and other 10mm hubs" so I'll give it a shot.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    You are talking about a bolt-on axle, not a through axle. They are not interchangeable.

A through axle is clamped by the frame (or fork).

A QR and bolt-on axle clamps the frame (or fork).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I have an Abbah rear hub w/ a Deore QR. The website states "Fits Hadley and other 10mm hubs" so I'll give it a shot.
    Your Abbah is not a 10mm hub, it's a QR hub. The hub must have 10mm opening and passage "through" the hub. Here is a picture of what a 10mm through hub looks like, sorry for the poor quality.
    Attached Images Attached Images