Sock Monkey

1 x 11s and single pivots, someone please 'splain

There have been a few posts lately which state that when 1x11 becomes prevalent, that single pivots will again be the way to go. Why is this?

I realize that some suspension designs work better with certain chainrings, but what confuses me i guess is the fact that a low gear, whether achieved with a single chainring or a 2x10, is still a low gear....right?

I'm just curious and would like to understand this theory...

Thanks

mtbr member
    What they are talking about is the direction that the chain is pulled in relation to the suspension pivot.

For example, most high single pivot bikes place the pivot so the virtual chainline falls above it when in the big ring of a triple and below it when in the smaller rings. This way it it working with the suspension in the big ring (improving bump compliance) and against the suspension in the smaller rings (improving pedaling). This is also the reason that HammerSchmidt doesn't play well with some suspension designs (VPP being one).

I think they are making the argument that with a 1x10/11 you no longer have a changing chain geometry in the front so you can tune the suspension to work well with it.

I don't think you'll see other designs disappear anytime soon. The above assumes you never change front rings. Also, most single pivots can't adjust the shock rate throughout the stroke. SC's APP bikes did this with a single pivot design, but simple single pivots do not.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by robsetsfire View Post
    The above assumes you never change front rings. Also, most single pivots can't adjust the shock rate throughout the stroke. SC's APP bikes did this with a single pivot design, but simple single pivots do not.
    That's a good point. The chainline might not change much, but it is hard to say just where that chain-line will be, due to people running different rings.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.