Thread: 1 Quiver bike?

SAVED R U
    Aug 2007

1 Quiver bike?

I知 looking for that one fabled bike that does it all, does it really exist?

The bikes I知 looking at are the Ibis HD4, Pivot Mach 6 & Yeti SB6 or 5.5.

Have any of you any real experience on these bikes?
    It is........What it is

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Got any more info about the trails you ride, what you want out of a bike, your ability and preferences?

For example, do you ride XC trails and do you care about being over biked?

SAVED R U
    Aug 2007
    I guess I prefer aggressive trail riding. I do some XC trails to get to get to the down hill. I also do some bike packing and I prefer to be over biked.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I think it comes down to the right tool for the right job and also personal preference. I like some variation between bikes as it can make the same local trails that you ride over and over more interesting. For those reasons, I've rather have two $2k bikes than one $4k bike. Also, when something breaks or you need maintenance on one, you have the other as a backup.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AM_Rider View Post

Check MTB Yum Yum on Youtube. I believe he's demo and reviewed all these bikes. He currently owns an HD4 and 29er Rocky Mountain XC bike.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqj...1FwtIZtBd52lcQ

Personally, I'm not as fast or aggressive rider as him (I'm usually middle of pack all-time on Strava), so I find my Mojo3 to be a great 1 quiver bike. I'm also shorter at 5'5" and find I prefer 27.5 over 29er.

mtbr member
    I guess I prefer aggressive trail riding. I do some XC trails to get to get to the down hill. I also do some bike packing and I prefer to be over biked.
    You would be crazy to not consider the Canfield Toir right now, they are blowing them out at cost and can take any trail you throw at it including park!
    SHOP Toir 29 | Canfield Brothers Online Store

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

SAVED R U
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Check MTB Yum Yum on Youtube. I believe he's demo and reviewed all these bikes. He currently owns an HD4 and 29er Rocky Mountain XC bike.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqj...1FwtIZtBd52lcQ

Personally, I'm not as fast or aggressive rider as him (I'm usually middle of pack all-time on Strava), so I find my Mojo3 to be a great 1 quiver bike. I'm also shorter at 5'5" and find I prefer 27.5 over 29er.
    Thanks I値l check him out on YouTube, I have been considering Mojo3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is........What it is

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    You would be crazy to not consider the Canfield Toir right now, they are blowing them out at cost and can take any trail you throw at it including park!
    SHOP Toir 29 | Canfield Brothers Online Store

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Have one and its bigger brother a balance. Right now you cant find a better deal. I really enjoy them both but the Riot (Toir) really is a great do it all. I have done everything from long 50 mile Monarch crest with some bonus miles all the way to racing the Big Mountain Enduro races at both Santa Fe and Winterpark. All on mt Toir.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I agree on the Mojo 3 option, but that doesn't "over bike" you for much other than smooth XC trails. It's a pretty tame bike geometry-wise and a great all-arounder. For me, the bikes you mentioned would not be great day-to-day bikes due to their length and slack. However I ride a mix of "average" trails I guess you'd say and I ride every day. Those bikes are great pointed down, but they remove some of the fun factor from less aggressive trails. I really enjoy a fun, light, 'poppy' bike for most days and then I have my larger 140/160 bike for more of the long up, long down style trails. Again, the bikes you listed are great bikes and they are great to pedal uphill from what I hear, but again, I think they mute the fun factor a bit. How about a Pivot Switchblade also? It's a nice bike to live with day-to-day but can also handle some pretty aggressive enduro-style riding.

mtbr member
    I agree with others. 1 quiver bike can be vastly different depending on your location, trails, intended use, style.

I have a lot of xc and intermediate trails locally that are most fun on hardtails or snappy, short suspension bikes. But then I can drive an hour and hit some fast chunk that dictates more travel the faster you ride it.

My next bike is probably going to be a Mojo3 or a Hightower+/29. Just can't decide which fits my use better... probably the mojo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    FWIW, I longed for a Mojo3 for a long time, wound up with a (very similar) SC 5010 when it came down to price, availability, and build spec.

It's 130 F/R, and I was coming from a 160/140 Trance. 5'10", 170 geared up, aggressive rider.

At the time, I figured the lower travel would limit my bashing, slow me down, and keep me safe. Not the case at all!

I find it can do everything the bigger travel bike did, with ease. And it's a better climber, and it's far more fun and poppy to play around on.

Moral - overbiking may not be necessary. Getting something with DH capability only to suffer on the uphills and have a numb ride on the XC/AM stuff might not be a good tradeoff.
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

ZEN RIDER!
    Evil Calling. Over biked on regular trials gets boring as you just monster truck everything and then have to grind up the climbs.
    Unless you are doing bike park or chunky DH on the regular I don't see the point of having a 6+" of travel any more due to modern geo and suspension performance.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    BTW OP...what are your riding today? Why is it NOT your 1 quiver bike? Or are you reducing number bikes in your steed?

SAVED R U
    Aug 2007
    That's a good question, right now I'm riding a 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper with a 160 pike up front. In last two years this bike has taken a beating, everything from daily trails to bike parks & epic rides from Durango to Moab.
    It is........What it is

SAVED R U
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt.Biker E View Post
    Evil Calling. Over biked on regular trials gets boring as you just monster truck everything and then have to grind up the climbs.
    Unless you are doing bike park or chunky DH on the regular I don't see the point of having a 6+" of travel any more due to modern geo and suspension performance.
    I am coming to the same conclusion, sadly my buddy "Ivan" was trying to tell me the same thing, I hate it when he's right
    It is........What it is

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    I've rather have two $2k bikes than one $4k bike. Also, when something breaks or you need maintenance on one, you have the other as a backup.
    Crazy how expensive bikes have gotten, even used bikes are pricey.
    Hopefully companies like YT and Canyon will keep other companies bike prices in check.

My last 2 bikes were purchased used...leaning towards new for my next bike (only because it will be FS).

Quote Originally Posted by kyle242gt View Post
    Moral - overbiking may not be necessary. Getting something with DH capability only to suffer on the uphills and have a numb ride on the XC/AM stuff might not be a good tradeoff.
    I thought a 130/130 would be my next bike, but demoed an older epic (100/100) which was a blast on my local trails (lots of climbing).

Now thinking a Top Fuel with a fox 34 120 front (100/120)
    or
    Canyon Neuron with a fox 34 130 front (110/130).

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Don't forget about the Ripley LS as well. But you'll need to get it used to meet the Canyon or Trek price points.

BTW...here's a good site that find does better comparative and quantitate reviews. I feel more balance than most other review sites or mags that are more worried about pissing off advertisers, than doing critical reviews. Many of bikes listed on this thread were reviewed:
    https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...-mountain-bike

mtbr member
    Orbea Rallon is the ultimate quiver killer. Slack head angle, steep seat tube angle. Climbs and pedals really well.... descends like a dh bike.

SAVED R U
    Aug 2007
    OK, one of these bikes could be the quiver killer. I'm looking at the Ibis Ripley LS or the Pivot Mach 5.5. Both bikes look to be very capable
    It is........What it is

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    That's a good question, right now I'm riding a 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper with a 160 pike up front.
    I agree with kyle and m b e, overbikeing should be avoided. Not that it's wrong, you simply can't go wrong because we're talking MTB here. Good is found throughout. Your Stmpy is a great example, on my trails and my level I had more fun on the Camber. I demoed both on the same day, 45 min each. Not a lot of time, but I could tell I was flying off features better and enjoyed the bike more. As you've (no doubt) noticed at some locations the Stumpy is a short-travel bike, but if (on your trails) you can manage the same speeds with 50% less travel, you'll be having more fun on a shorter-travel sharper handling bike.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    OK, one of these bikes could be the quiver killer. I'm looking at the Ibis Ripley LS or the Pivot Mach 5.5. Both bikes look to be very capable
    yes they both could be.... depending on where you live... but they are kinda opposite ends of the spectrum IMO.

mtbr member
    I've just been to a Pivot demo recently and got to spend some time on both a Pivot 5.5 and a 429trail setup 27.5+.

Admittedly the 429trail isn't exactly an apples to apples equivalent to the Ripley LS, especially in 27.5+ mode but it's closer than the Mach 5.5.

I was pretty impressed with both bikes. The Pivot Mach 5.5 is the new hotness that everyone is talking about and it was a fun bike that climbed pretty efficiently and descended confidently. On the other hand, I was equally pleased with the 429trail 27.5+ as being a pretty capable bike. The 5.5 was a better descender and the 429trail was a more efficient climber. I could see either bike being your only bike with the 429trail being more xc/trail and the 5.5. being more trail/all mountain. I thought it would be cool to have two wheelsets on the 429trail, a 27.5+ and a 29er to get a lot of different uses out of the bike. But I'm not sure that is viable with the Ripley LS.

I don't think you can go wrong with either bike. If you can demo them both I would and see which one speaks to you more. If you can't, I would get the 5.5 if you frequent more chunky stuff and the LS if you do a lot of big climbs and smoother trails. If that's a wash, pick your favorite color, jk.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ZEN RIDER!
    Evil Following MB if you are considering 29ner. I've had extensive time on both the 429 and the Following. The Evil bikes seem to blur the lines more as far as what they can handle and center around having fun on a bike and not about this is a xc race bike ect...
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    I think bike geometry/suspension design and tires can have a greater influence over making the trail boring than the amount of travel. I've ridden a 120mm travel plus bike that felt less fun and connected to the trail than a 150mm travel bike. So I wouldn't limit myself on a strict travel number (high or low).

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    I think tires can have a greater influence over making the trail boring than the amount of travel. I've ridden a 120mm travel PLUS bike that felt less fun and connected to the trail than a 150mm travel bike. So I wouldn't limit myself on a strict travel number (high or low).
    I've noticed this as well. Some pals like the 2.8" or larger tires, but for me it takes the bike's feel the wrong direction.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

SAVED R U
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chestont View Post
    I've just been to a Pivot demo recently and got to spend some time on both a Pivot 5.5 and a 429trail setup 27.5+.

Admittedly the 429trail isn't exactly an apples to apples equivalent to the Ripley LS, especially in 27.5+ mode but it's closer than the Mach 5.5.

I was pretty impressed with both bikes. The Pivot Mach 5.5 is the new hotness that everyone is talking about and it was a fun bike that climbed pretty efficiently and descended confidently. On the other hand, I was equally pleased with the 429trail 27.5+ as being a pretty capable bike. The 5.5 was a better descender and the 429trail was a more efficient climber. I could see either bike being your only bike with the 429trail being more xc/trail and the 5.5. being more trail/all mountain. I thought it would be cool to have two wheelsets on the 429trail, a 27.5+ and a 29er to get a lot of different uses out of the bike. But I'm not sure that is viable with the Ripley LS.

I don't think you can go wrong with either bike. If you can demo them both I would and see which one speaks to you more. If you can't, I would get the 5.5 if you frequent more chunky stuff and the LS if you do a lot of big climbs and smoother trails. If that's a wash, pick your favorite color, jk.

Thanks for the info, I知 hoping to demo both bikes including the 429 in February. Originally I wasn稚 considering the 429, but you made some good points with the different wheel sizes

Thanks

It is........What it is

mtbr member
    I think it would largely depend on where you ride...or how you ride. I've got a 29 XC bike (100mm HT) and a 27.5 trail bike (140mm FS). Riding them in their preferred terrain...it doesn't get any better...but as of late...I've been thinking about selling them off and just build one bike.

Most of the local trails I ride are not super technical. Most of the time is spent pedaling vs going downhill. During the months when the shuttles is running...I'll go about twice a month...and make that trip to the Mammoth bike park once or twice a year.

The bikes I'm thinking about are the Pole Evolink 131, Evil Following, Banshee Phantom, and the Pivot 429 Trail.

Dances with horses
    I take my XC pretty serious, so I have to have a good XC bike. So if I could only have one, that would be it (happens to be an HT, but want an FS XC). I can take it anywhere, it's just not the fastest way down an enduro trail.

But, that's not the bike I ride any time other than racing, that's my 160mm enduro. I ride that everywhere, except races. So if I didn't take XC seriously, that would be my only bike.

But I also like to race CX, the enduro is worthless for that and the XC bike is frowned upon. But I can ride it out on MTB trails (I have).

But most of my riding, including my commute, is on road. So I am just wasting good money riding my XC race bike on my commute, and my enduro would be ridiculous. But my CX can do the job. My roadie could also do CX if I wanted to.

So you see, you need WAY more detail on what that one bike has to do.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, I知 hoping to demo both bikes including the 429 in February. Originally I wasn稚 considering the 429, but you made some good points with the different wheel sizes

Thanks

I think if I had to choose I would lean towards the Mach 5.5 over a 429trail with two wheelsets. It fits my riding style a little bit more (for reference I ride a Canfield Riot with either a coil or short stroked air shock depending on where I'm riding) and changing wheels might get tiresome after a while. Also I think the 429trail might be up for a refresh soon, the current iteration has been out for a little while now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have a 100mm carbon HT 29. And there is no overlap with my django that can be run 130 or 140 front and has two geometry options. The reach is very nice compared to the short Ibis and Pivots. As others stated a 1 quiver garage doesn't work for many, me included. I do a lot of climbing, come from XC race background and 99% trails are fast non technical. The django in steep geometry with 130 fork is a little more than I need, but it's a lot of fun and made my lighter 100/100 29er unnecessary.
    A 27.5+ only appeals to me in the late summer months when sand beats me up, but there's just so much climbing. I can do 10,000+ vert days, sometimes 15,000' climbing. Plus tires or a long travel heavier bike would not be my 1 quiver in any wheel size, but my django can go from 26 pounds to 28 pounds with tire swap.
    I'm a DW Link fanboy but nothing has the geometry (mainly reach) I want so the Split Pivot django came home. The django is heavier and prices went up, but on sale/closeout, it's fast and fun.

beater

That depends entirely upon:

1: what does your 殿ll include?
    2: what are your tolerances for performance?

Every bike incorporates compromises according to the design intent. I致e known people to ride the same XC bike on trails, the bike park, and over snow, but it痴 not optimum.

I have a 140mm 29er, but eventually I値l divide its duties among a XC whip, a 160mm 29er, and a DH bike.

And that痴 ignoring the winter riding...

mtbr member
    Ordea Rallon

Norco Sight 29

Rocky Mountain Altitude

Going on Bikemag's Bible of Bike tests, these are great all-around/do-it-all whips ^^

I'd happily pony up for one of the above ;-)

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    A 1-quiver bike for me would be something like a Pine Mountain or Karate Monkey.

But I don't want a 1-quiver bike.

mtbr member
    Get the Canfield Brothers, because its cool.
    Looking for a Medium Scott Scale frame, preferably a 2012 in 26.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    I think bike geometry/suspension design and tires can have a greater influence over making the trail boring than the amount of travel. I've ridden a 120mm travel plus bike that felt less fun and connected to the trail than a 150mm travel bike. So I wouldn't limit myself on a strict travel number (high or low).
    I 100% agree with this post.

I am going to go agents the grain and say the Mach 6 or HD4 can easily be your only bike (I have a 2016 Mach 6).

With light wheels and 2.3 tires the bike is well under 27lbs with peddles. This will make it climb better than expected and the 2018 gemoemtry should climb much better. With the light wheels (dt swiss xmc spline 1200) and DW-link the bike is snappy and hustles.

Then there is the suspension adjustments. You can ride the shocks full open when needed but you can set the shock (dpx2) to trial or firm and the bike gets snapper.

On super easy Ohio trails I was faster on my Mach 6 than a budget ($1000ish) hard tail with the shocks open on the Mack 6 and more fun imo.

I feel the trails are more muted with plus tires than suspension travel.

always licking the glass

1 Quiver bike?

Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg or Megatrail. Bike has two modes that it can change within 30 seconds of changing a bolt position. Two bikes in one.

If you want four bikes in one, also buy the rear shock for the megatrail and shred dogg. Then you have between 130mm and 145mm in the rear for shred dogg, and on the big days you can switch out the rear shock for a megatrail and have 150-165mm in the rear.

Supports a 150-160mm fork for the shred dogg and a 160-180mm fork for the megatrail.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Writer, MTB4Her.

SAVED R U
    Aug 2007
    I知 planning on demoing my 1 quiver bikes in February. I can稚 wait to see which one rises to the top of the list

It is........What it is

SAVED R U
    Aug 2007
    I知 planning on demoing my 1 quiver bikes in February. I can稚 wait to see which one rises to the top of the list

I planned on testing several Pivot bikes, but after I rode the Mach 5.5 I was sold. I gave the shop my down payment and now I知 just waiting for my new Mach 5.5!!!!!

It is........What it is

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Congrats, pivot 5.5 is a very versatile and capable bike
    Yeti SB6c
    Cannondale Jekyll Carbon Team
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Cannondale Scalpel

SAVED R U
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LegionX View Post
    Congrats, pivot 5.5 is a very versatile and capable bike
    Thanks, I知 super stoked, like a kid waiting for Christmas

It is........What it is

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Great choice, I have a 5.5 also and love it!

mtbr member

I had a Pivot Mach 6. I try and own 2 trail bikes, but I only ride one at a time and tend to switch after a few months so in general I treat all my bikes like 1-bike-to-rule-them-all. No problem riding a bike like the Mach 6 or HD4 all the time. They'll pedal fine on easier trails and be ready when to ride something more challenging.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    ... but I only ride one at a time ...
    Hey Vik, whenever you get the hang of riding two at once, post a vid so the rest of us can see how it痴 done!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Hey Vik, whenever you get the hang of riding two at once, post a vid so the rest of us can see how it痴 done!
    =sParty

What you never bring a spare bike on a ride?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Out spokin'
    1 Quiver bike?-2da00e10-de91-45e3-97ab-a18ed5c521b9.jpg
    LOL this would be more my style.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    ^^ Oh man have I been doing it wrong! ^^
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2DA00E10-DE91-45E3-97AB-A18ED5C521B9.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	1185997
    LOL this would be more my style.
    =sParty

Awww yeah! That痴 the way to do it!

SAVED R U
    Aug 2007
    Here she is...

It is........What it is

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Wow man, that really is a gorgeous looking ride!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I was wondering the same question and demo'd a ton of bikes I considered quiver killers. Going in, I thought it would be either the, evil calling, pivot 5.5, or an HD4. I was just about to order my bike when the shop gave me a demo of a Rocky Mountain Altitude and it took the win for me. To me, and for all the riding I do, it was absolutely a quiver killer.

mtbr member
    Here she is...

Now assuming you've been on the Pivot, and the release of the Ripmo, what are your thoughts? Right now I'm in the same boat. Ripmo is on order, but dont know if I can keep waiting. Looking at the Switchblade, and Yeti. 5.5. I like my 29ers.
    '18 Ibis Ripmo GX/XT

Backup - 2013.5 Stumpy EVO 29 - backup
    '18 Ibis Ripley LS V3 in Vitamin P (retired)

mtbr member
    After a couple months of shopping I ordered a Timberjack

mtbr member
    I would love to demo a Ripmo on my local trails, I'm sure it would be way over biked though. I just bought my SPOT Mayhem last year and the bike does everything I need. Two of my riding buddy's just bought Mojo3's so it put me in buy mode again

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    After a couple months of shopping I ordered a Timberjack
    I like mine. f you have the formula cone and cup hubs, keep and eye on those and rebuild them early.