Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1-2-3 weeks & decided to get 456

7K views 39 replies 15 participants last post by  catnash 
#1 ·
Finally after searching for a frame, I settled for an On-One 456 steel frame. This is because I'm not sure which size I should get and if I'm going to like a slacker geo (compare to my xc & trail bike). I want a bike that will feel like "bmx" or "dj" but the bike will be used more of a XC/trail... Anyhow, fast forward to my questions.

Do I need to have the bottom bracket/head tube faced?
What other things do I need to do before I put this bike together?

Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
Sounds good! I'll go ahead and put my bike together.

I plan on using my RS Revelation 140mm.

I'm a weight weenie and a XC rider but this time around, I want to have a bike that has the dj/bmx feel to it so I went with a small frame, 14". I'm 5'6" with 31" inseam and here are the parts I have for the bike:

Crest 26" wheelset: 1420 grams.

Mt Zoom carbon handlebar:

KCNC Flyride 60mm stem:

Rocket Ron 2.25:

XT M771 rear derrailleur:

2010 Specialized Phenon:

Then the XT crank, KMC 9s gold lightweight chain and on its way, Nino's ti 9 speed cassette and grip shifter. Also on it's way, Gravity Dropper Turbo since my KSi950 on my trail bike wont fit on this frame.

#7 ·
Yeah, its not really an AM bike or XC. It my light trail bike since I only do XC riding. Reason for the frame was because of the head angle. I want to gain confidence descending with a more slacked HA as oppose to my 69 degree HA on Scott Genius and my Carbon XC at 71 degree HA.

29 lbs Scott Genius:

20 lbs Ebay Carbon Frame (it now has rigid fork):

Here's the list of parts and majority of these weight were weighed in on my scale. When the bike was fully assembled (last night), it weighed in at 23.8 but the brake lines are not cut and carbon bar still needs to be installed. So it should be in low 23 lbs. :)

#9 ·
I take mine any where I would take my FS (rock, roots, foot drops, etc..) It's holding up great with no creaks or whatsoever though I am a bit light, @ 140 lbs geared up. I know a friend of mine who has this ebay frame for 4 yrs he said and he weighs in at 160 geared up and he still rides it till this day with no problem. He takes it everywell as well.

#12 ·
why not the carbon 456?
They dont offer the carbon in size 14".

b-kul:
I spent $3041 total including tax, shipping and *labor. The fork that I have on there came from my Scott Genius (140mm Revelation). I bought another Rev with 150mm but that's for my Scott now. I added that amount on the on-one bike, $467 for the rev.

I really wanted the titanim 456 but I'm not sure if I'm going to like it. So, before dropping a G on the frame, I bough the steel frame first (which was f'n expensive also. I bought it direct at on-one and the shipping killed me, +$100 on top of the selling price!) to see if I'd like the geo. If I do, I'll get the Ti. :)

*$113 for brake length trim, headset and cutting the fork. The rest I did myself.

Thanks!

#18 ·
Yeah my lbs stocks Scott, I may get into trouble if I go looking in there for too long lol. I like the Scott brand, I was looking into getting a 29er and was surprised to see the finish on those things. They were lightweight and around a grand... good stuff.

#19 ·
I have been riding my 456 all the time for commute and to the trails for a week already. Yesterday I finally took my s-genius out and after not riding it for a week, I think I'm going to sell her... Riding a FS bike made the trails that I go to kind of boring. After the climb, the downhill went by fast that I didn't even get a chance to enjoy it. It's not the speed that I'm talking about because with my HT, I can reach the same speed but I get to do fun stuff like picking a better line, sprinting when coming out of a turn, etc... The AM like HT is so much FUN! I like it so much, I moved my new 150mm Rev RLT fork from my s-genius to my 456. It's not that I need it any higher but its my new fork and it feels much smoother than the white Rev 409 (s-genius stock fork 140mm) that I was running.

The climb is a b!tch though. Even with the 140mm, I can't keep my front wheel stuck to the ground... I'll invest into a talas/adjustable fork. We'll see. :)

oh btw, the bike weighs in at 23.1 lbs with the new fork and MG-1 pedals. ;)

#21 ·
Wow that's light! I've been looking at HT AM frames for a while now and I'm really getting tempted to buy one and swap my components! I've only been riding a little over one season and I have a Diamondback Mission 3. It has pretty decent components and I actually really like the frame and it climbs pretty well, but I know what you mean about FS making everything a little "boring". The same trails I ride on a regular basis with my FS would be much more challenging with a HT I think.

What did that frame weigh? Steel right?

#25 ·
mtskibum16: 14" size frame weighed in at 5.0 lbs on a FEDEX/UPS scale. I've seen someone weighed the 18" frame at 5.5 lbs. Yes, it is steel but its not light. It's the components that I have that made the bike light.

I will definitely going to keep practicing to get use to this travel. I am also looking into buying a 16" frame and build this 14" frame for my wife. :)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.