mtbr member

1,000th Dropper Post Thread: For Fat Rider

hey friends!

I tip the scale at about 240, im trying to learn which dropper post would be the best for this weight?

I was told from a shop mechanic to lean towards the specialized brand control post, he told me at my weight a rock shox reverb will need to be rebuilt frequently.

I have a 2010 trek fuel and budget is not an issue just want the strongest one that will handle my weight and not begin to creak or have play after a few rides.

thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

mtbr member
    1,000th post? I bet your dad told you a million times not to exaggerate!

mtbr member
    I have no experience with any other brand or style, but my Command Post has made it 18 months under my Clyde body without any complaint or issues.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    For the 1000th time - Gravity Dropper

Master of the Universe!
    Apr 2008
    My KS I900 has done good by me.
    Can't a guy get bombed and call his ex at 3 in the morning without it meaning something?!

mtbr member
    I've been shopping for a dropper post now for a few months....what all the searches have told me is that they all suck and they're all the best one on the market. I hope that clears things up for you.
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    I've heard nothing but positive commentary on the KS. I ride the Crank Bro Kronolog. Had an issue on the first one, which was immediately replaced. Second is performing great.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm your same weight and have been using the Specialized Blacklight for a little over a year now with no problems, I have not tried any other posts however. I think that mechanical is the way to go for us full-figured folk, as you don't have to rely on a seal to hold up your girth.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark View Post
    For the 1000th time - Gravity Dropper
    I am normally the first one to recommend GD for its reliability and durability (mine is over 7 years old), but I think it's inner shaft being as narrow as it is and with holes drilled in it might not make it the best choice for a clyde. In any event I would ask about this on the clyde board.

At the very least I would make sure you can run it with the switch facing the rear (it is stronger that way). Some frames will allow it, others not.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpledesign View Post
    I've been shopping for a dropper post now for a few months....what all the searches have told me is that they all suck and they're all the best one on the market. I hope that clears things up for you.
    You need to get beyond "sucks" and "great" and look at the details. What do you care about?

If you want durability, I seriously doubt you came across many folks saying that the Gravity Dropper Classic sucks from a reliability standpoint (despite my reservations for a clyde). It's got over 8 years of track record.

You just have to get over the fact that it is not infinitely adjustable, it needs a butt-tap to raise it, and looks ugly to some. Small prices to pay for a post that always works.

OTOH, If you want all those extra features, AND a long term track record for dependability, good luck.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm glad to hear that some fellow big guys have had good experiences with the Command Post since I just bought one. I weigh in at 250.

I did email KS a few months ago asking about weight limits on the LEV. They responded that there is no weight limit. I suspect the same would be true for the rest of their posts.

mtbr member

Re: 1,000th Dropper Post Thread: For Fat Rider

Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    You need to get beyond "sucks" and "great" and look at the details. What do you care about?
    My initial search was between the Kronolog, Fox DOSS, and Reverb....all have their moments of "worked great and then..." I don't care for the looks of GD so thats my hold up with those. I've even just looked at the Command Post and Contact Switch but they are not as widely reviewed as the more popular aftermarket.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

Helmetless Crasher
    I'd just buy THE best dropper available.

240 is not THAT heavy. I'm 220 and ride with guys bigger than me, and none of us have had weight-related issues w/ our droppers.

IMHO, the KS LEV is the best dropper on the market in terms of design, aesthetics and performance. Mine continues to function well after 3 months of clyde abuse.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've had 2 KS posts and a Gravity Dropper. I only had one problem with one of the KS posts. It was a few years back when the post was fairly new to the market. It wouldn't stay down and had the problem right out of the box. Shipped it to KS and had a new/fixed post very soon after. No other problems since then after a few years of use.

The GD Classic has been flawless from day one. It does have its drawbacks, as listed above, but they're not really drawbacks. The GD just feels more robust in terms of actuation/action - it just feels rock solid. Period.

I'm about 205 RTR now, was about 220lb RTR at one point. I'd recommend the GD. Get one and don't look back. If you ever do have an issue with it, parts are readily available and all repairs can be done by the owner. The company is top notch and stands behind their product as well, or better, than any other company out there.

Why don't you call them and ask them what they think? I believe that you will be happy after speaking with them.

mtbr member
    I cannot praise the giant contact switch post enough. It's probably the cheapest, reliable post out there and its built with simplicity and reliability in mind. Mine has two years of use with ZERO adjustments. Literally took it out of the box and stuck it on my bike and haven't done a single thing since. I see tons of posts on here about posts(ironic I know). I don't even bother reading them most of the time because the giant contact switch post is so killer I could careless about any other brand of dropper post. It's bulletproof like your vr6(except for that pesky erg valve that always leaks dammit!).