mtbr member
    Jun 2014

'09 Trek Fuel ex8 or '13 fuel ex7

Hi all,

As my inaugural post let me introduce my dilemma: buy a used '09 ex8 with a dropper, two sets of newish tires, new drivetrain, BB7s replacing the hydros, and (claimed) little hard use. Asking $1100 which will give me room to buy shoes and egg beaters...

OR

A stock 2013 Fuel Ex 7 for $1750 with a full shop warrantee, lifetime of tunes-ups but no room for much more than getting used shoes on CL.

i don't know which to get, the biggest irk is that there's no lockout on the 09s rear shock... Help me out!

mtbr member
    Both 26er?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yea, both 26ers, the ex7 has wheels set up for tubeless, but I'm not sure about the 8

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    buy the newer bike.. also why would you buy used shoes..thats disgusting... someone else's sweaty ass feet!? crap, shoes can be found for like $60.00?

mtbr member
    Tough call.
    The fork is a key thing you didn't mention. How do they compare?
    The price difference is pretty significant, and if the rear shock is the only thing that bothers you, the 650 bucks you save would make it easy to upgrade that. Or maybe you could Push the existing shock for cheaper than a new one.

Is the 09 "new" drivetrain 2x10 or what?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I can see where the older bike can be attractive, but think about seals, rubber in general, everything that gets old and brittle and...all I can say is that I have a 2013 Fuel EX 7 and I love it. I even have a review onlilne if you need more details of what comes stock with the bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input. In the end, I'm not going for the older bike: as I've looked at it closer there are spots that show neglect (rusty spots that are easy to clean, signifying that they were left muddy/wet for a long time, etc). I ended up putting a "best offer" on it but thankfully was turned down and I decided not to follow up.

I love to do my own bike repair, but there's something to be said about a lifetime of tune-ups from getting it from the shop. I think, too, that since it's been a few years since I rode regularly, it's best I get an investment I can grow into, and that won't get me into too much trouble (there's no accounting for me though...)

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    $600 difference for a brand new bike with warranty? No brainer.

The technology upgrades over the past 4 years probably means that the old ex8 is on par with the new ex7. Plus, when a used frame cracks you're SOL.