mtbr member
    Oct 2008

'08 Trek Fuel EX7 or '08 Mongoos Canaan Elite

Experienced (Cat. 2) roadie, looking to add a trail bike to my stable. I've done a ton of test rides and down to 2 options, both are exactly the same price.

1) 2008 Trek Fuel EX7
    2) 2008 Mongoose Canaan Elite

I know this is kind of a shot in the dark since it's extremely unlikely that anyone has owned both bikes but I'm a newbie on the trail and don't really know the difference between the two. The Mongoose looks slightly better on paper but I've heard great things about the Trek ABP.

I'm 6' 1", 165 lbs. if that matters.

Thanks

C.U.S.T.O.M
    Aug 2008
    No one here can tell you whats best for YOU! Gonna have to test ride both and see for yourself. I test drove and Ex7 and its very race oriented... But I prefer to be more laid back.

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy930
    No one here can tell you whats best for YOU! Gonna have to test ride both and see for yourself. I test drove and Ex7 and its very race oriented... But I prefer to be more laid back.
    Word. Ride them both. Buy what you like. These bikes are that good, you can't really go wrong. You know as an experienced roadie that there are lots of bikes that work well, same principles apply here.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Well, I've test ridden both and nothing really stuck out. I was hoping for some anecdotes about frame/shock/wheels reputation but it doesn't sound like their are any issues with either so I guess it'll come down to the shop I like best in terms of service.

My other Auto is a .45
    I have an 08 EX7 and rode it for a while. I recently purchased an 07 stumpy expert that was left over from last year and the stumpy suits me a lot better. The trek is nice and the ABP rocks like no other, but when it came down to being on the bike and having that confidence...hands down it was the stumpy. Do yourself a favor and try and demo them on real trails - maybe find someone in your area that has the bikes you're looking for and see about meeting them at a local trail. Good Luck!
    My friends call me Bryan and the ladies call me daddy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Best of Luck

I had the same dilemma about four months ago (interestingly with the same brand bikes).
    2008 Trek 6500 DIsc or 2008 Mongoose Amasa Super? I did the same thing you're doing: asked my BFF (Best Forum Friends) for advice. I got the same advice: doesn't matter what other people think, it matters which bike feels better to you.

Now, like you, I had test ridden both, and like you, I was undecided. I must have been worried that I'd end up with the 'wrong' bike because armed with the freedom that there was no 'wrong' bike between the two, I rode them again.

It didn't come down to wheelsets, brakes, cranks, or derailleurs. It came down to the fact that when my ass hit the seat of the 6500, my heart said, "She will be mine. She must be mine." Four months later, my affair with bike continues.

Good Luck.