mtbr member
    Jun 2007

New question here. 07 MKIII trail or 07 GT ID5 3.0

A buddy of mine is looking at these two bikes with the price range. In all fairness Parts, Suspension etc.. Which is the better bike and why. I'm a IH fan so I'm a little biased myself. He's making the buy this fri so let me hear what everybody thinks.

komojo dragon
    Mar 2007
    I've ridden the gt around the parking lot, and up down some steep grassy banks, and I thought it was a good bike for the price, and kinda tempted me to buy it at one point... MBA in the just out august issue ( check it out via zinio.com if it isn't at newstands yet).. but there is a test there of the id5 1.0 - which they say is the way to go - and I agree, though the 3.0 works pretty well, and is very good for the money..

if you like to stand and pedal the idrive still needs a platform shock (1.0 only) due to bob, but it is pretty bob resistant while seated. i think this thing (3.0) has adjustable travel on the marz. fork... drive train is basic, but works decently. candy pedals, i like the geometry, and it has I think 5+ inches of travel outback.

i have not tired the IH bikes, so can't comment on that one.
    O-Jo-Mo-Jo!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have to 3.0 and I like everything but the fork,I will be upgrading soon.You can find it for just over $1000,I think its very good deal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have a MKIII comp and love it. But like I said Im already biased to it. I almost want him to get the GT so that I can try it. I'm not just sure about the dogbone link problems with the GTs and the I drive compared to the DW link. Anybody ridden both?

komojo dragon
    Mar 2007
    In the MBA test they had some creaking in the joints of the gt, but were advised to apply "anti seize" to the bolt threads in the linkages and all the creaking vanished for the rest of the test. you could request that at the LBS prior to pick up.

the mojo that i have owned for two weeks now has a dw link - it is a great linkage system! I just use a mild pro-pedal setting for commutes to the trail, and smooth or uphill stuff...

both systems are roughly equal seated for efficiency.. if i remember correctly the idrive is pretty good about lack of brake jack also. standing the dw is superior - which is why i'd strongly suggest a propedal shock for the gt (mba agreed this is very worthwhile)

it would be great if your friend could demo both bikes - especially in areas you normally like to ride..

like gashog said also - check out how you like the fork and shock on both bikes as well, these things are pricier to upgrade later - how into upgrading are you? budget?

let us know what he gets!
    O-Jo-Mo-Jo!