mtbr member
    Aug 2011

06 Epic FS... Possibly?

Im about to buy an 06 epic frame. Im really new to biking. I've been wanting to buy a frame then put my own bike together. Would this be a good frame for Mountain riding and DH? How much would it cost to just put mid grade components, wheels and stuff. Not including shocks? Im just getting into biking so Im still a little not to sure. Hahaha. It this bike a good deal for $300 or less? Name:  bike.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  3.7 KB
    THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    That's a cross country frame. Unless you weigh 20 pounds you won't get far riding DH with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick843 View Post
    Im about to buy an 06 epic frame. Im really new to biking. I've been wanting to buy a frame then put my own bike together. Would this be a good frame for Mountain riding and DH? How much would it cost to just put mid grade components, wheels and stuff. Not including shocks? Im just getting into biking so Im still a little not to sure. Hahaha. It this bike a good deal for $300 or less? Name:  bike.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  3.7 KB
    THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!
    Don't do it!
    The amount of knowledge you'd need to do a frame-up build is not something a brand-n00by will have and will most likely cost you WAY more than you'd really want to spend.
    Ppl do frame-up builds to custom spec a bike w/ bling bling parts that just can't be found in build kits. If you're shooting for mid-grade build kit bike, just buy a complete bike off the shelf and start enjoying the riding.
    Best bang for the buck can be had from Giants and their Maestro suspension design is quite good.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ive got a hardtail right now. This is gonna be like a long term bike to be put together. And I know I can figure out how to put one together. If not I know people around me that will throw in a helping hand. Im not wanting to go out and spend like 1400+ right now I just wanna buy piece by piece to be ready by the spring. Im just not sure exactly what kinda of frames i should be looking at. I guess not that one. Haha

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    If I'd do a frame build up, I'd buy a Mountain Cycle Battery frame at Amazon (399.00 right now) and start from there. Maybe no the most "AM" frame out there but you can't beat the price.

But that's just me...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That is a great deal. I justt looked at it. What do you mean by "AM" Frame? That might be what I'm gonna do. I'm looking into the Orange framed one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The Battery is more dirt jump/slope style oriented, and "heavy" @35lb for a complete bike.
    but go check this link, there's a guy riding it in video:
    Mountain Cycle Battery - Pinkbike.com

It looks like a lot of fun to me, and I have no problem pedalling 35lb bikes (I currently ride up and down the hill a stock Coiler @37lb).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah 35lb wouldn't bother me. This looks like a great bike.. Hopefully soon project! I just gotta try and find a size that will fit me. That video looked good to. I just can't find a Medium sized frame.

usually cranky
    i agree with paully, when its all said and done you will have put more money into it and ended up with a worse spec than something you could just buy off the rack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick843 View Post
    Yeah 35lb wouldn't bother me. This looks like a great bike.. Hopefully soon project! I just gotta try and find a size that will fit me. That video looked good to. I just can't find a Medium sized frame.
    And you won't. That bike is "one size fits all"

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JackStephen View Post
    And you won't. That bike is "one size fits all"
    Thats what I thought. But then one website said short and medium bike. So i was kind of confused.

Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    i agree with paully, when its all said and done you will have put more money into it and ended up with a worse spec than something you could just buy off the rack.

And yeah maybe it might cost more to build one. But I have about 5 months to build. So it really wont bother me buying piece by piece over time. And I can wait to find huge sale prices ect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    check the classifieds on these forums for nice used frames.