mtbr member
    Apr 2009

05-07 Specialized SX trail frame- shock sizes/options?

Basically I've just bought a new/old stock 07 SX trail frame that has no shock.

What options do I have?

Whilst I'm looking 'can' I get away with fitting the Fox air shock that I currently have on my later gen 09 Enduro frame? It'll drop the BB height/slacken the head angle but will it also fowl/against the seat tube?

Dumb idea I guess so......

What size(s) can I look for on the secondhand market?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by gurp View Post
    9.0 * 2.75
    Yes, this.

But I will add that that any shock that compresses to 6.25 will "work" like 8.75x2.5, etc.

Another thing to consider is whether you have both shock shuttles. The high shock shuttle would probably allow you to run a shock that compresses to 6 inches, which I think might be a little more common-like 8.75x2.75. But I only have a low shuttle, so I really can't say for sure.

As for an air shock, might fit, but I think you'd be better off with coil.... or a different frame.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I've been perusing shock options for old framebuilds (2006-2010). My general rule would be to get a shock with an amount of travel as close as possible to the original stock shock, but I'm not familiar with the dimensions needed. What does 165 x 1.5 mean? Or 8.5 by 2.5? What do I need to measure on the frame/shock in order to dial in the right fit for a new shock?

trail addict
    '06-'08 will be the same as we said above. Newer models have a different design so I'm really not sure. Shock dimensions are generally listed as eye-to-eye length (basically overall length) and stroke (how much the shock can compress). Sometimes dimensions are listed in mm instead of inches.

There is nothing you should need to measure on a frame, just buy the recommended shock size for what you get-most models will be made in a variety of sizes.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm going to assume 8.75 x 2.5 is in mm, since the minimum travel for forks is usually four inches of travel

mtbr member
    8.75 x 2.5 is inches. Eye to eye is 8.75", and the shock stroke is 2.5". If it was 215x63 that would be mm.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

trail addict
    8.75x2.5 is inches. In mm that would be tiny.

When you see something like the 165x1.5 like you mentioned in a previous post, that would be 165mmx1.5in.

As I said, whatever frame you get will be designed for a very specific size-check with manufacturer if in doubt.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Oh okay, so when they say 165x1.5 165 is in mm for eye-to-eye lenght, and 1.5 or anything with a decimal would refer to inches. Makes sense.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Watched a vid on how to measure the travel and stroke of the shock. From what I can tell and what I saw, I need to measure from the mounting bolt on one end of the shock to the other. On this gary fisher hifi-plus frame I have lying around (2007), I measured from the "eye" (center) of the bolt hole to the other, and got 7.5 inches. In the video the guy bleeds the shock to 50 psi, and forces the bike to the end of its travel and then procedes to measure. Does that sound right? Here's a link.
    How To measure your MTB Air Shock - YouTube