mtbr member
    Jan 2004

'03 Heckler vs New Heckler

I'm looking at second a second hand 2003 Heckler frame and was wondering if there were any major differences between this and the current frame?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    No difference, except for more shock options that are available now. You should be able to get a second hand 03 for at least half of it is worth new. Go over every inch of the frame before you buy and make sure the shock is working well.

ride hard take risks
    What he said

mtbr member
    My dumb self will ask, "self, do you remember when the redesign for the Heckler was?" and I will say Nope.

So I ask the wisdom of the board, when was the redesign? It was for the "03" model year, correct? I also would point out that they dont have model years do they? Just models they make all year long? Forgive the dumb questions please, and sorry to hijack, but this seems an appropriate place to ask.

Matt

www.derbyrims.com

Original Heckler till '02

Quote Originally Posted by el_chupo_
    My dumb self will ask, "self, do you remember when the redesign for the Heckler was?" and I will say Nope.

So I ask the wisdom of the board, when was the redesign? It was for the "03" model year, correct? I also would point out that they dont have model years do they? Just models they make all year long? Forgive the dumb questions please, and sorry to hijack, but this seems an appropriate place to ask.

Matt
    Thatís a good question.

The original Heckler design was from about 1994, maybe earlier, and was a race winning downhill bike then. The "long travel" 3 inch travel Rockshox Judy DH was the fork it was designed to use. It evolved into the Heckler-Superlight in '99. The Superlight model was a Heckler with lighter double butted tubes and may have been the first mountain bike to use an anodized finish.

The Superlight model proved just about as reliable as the Heckler and sold much more than the Heckler, so the heavier Heckler model was discontinued sometime in '01 or '02. But some original Heckler models were still sold new into '03 or so.

The Heckler name was revived in late '02 (I think) with the new 5 inch travel freeride model, more heavy duty than the original and even slacker in frame angles designed for 5 inch fork travel. The Superlight had a mild revision at the same time steepening the frame angles slightly to better accommodate trail riding using the taller 4 inch travel forks of the later '90's that most riders preferred on the early Hecklers and Superlights.

- ray

29er wannabe

Heckler

The 03' heckler was also built in the U.S. The 04's and current frames are from Taiwan.

Sov
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    03 Hecklers had 2" stroke shocks. Later ones with a 5th coil or DHX5 (+others?) had 2.25" stroke shocks.

TNC
    noMAD man
    What about that little "dent" that the later model has under the top tube that is supposed to accomodate the DHX-Air...and maybe some other shocks? I haven't seen one in the flesh, but there was a close-up pic of one, I believe, awhile back. I wouldn't call that significant, and I don't remember if it was an '05 or later...hard to qualify sometimes since SC doesn't use the strict year model calendar like other companies. Anyone else have info on that clearance "dent".

Ultimate Poseur
    I have a redesigned Heckler that I purchased November 02. I had ordered it in July. The only differences between mine and the latest "06" version are 1) tt dent to accommodate DHX Air. 2) 2.25" stroke shock spec (if you get a Float R it will still be 2" stroke), and 3) the headtube gusset has been redesigned.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by el_chupo_

Matt
    there wasn't a "redesign"

there was a period of 3 years where they didn't make Hecklers.

in the mean time, the frame gained some rear travel, some head tube gussets, slacker geometry, other improvements. the original Heckler was a lot like the current Superlight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Lol, there is alot to be said for a bike that has been basically unchaged for 3 years and still sells like hot cakes. After riding/ owning alot of newer designs, I just built up a Heckler for my do-all bike. So far, I'm pretty happy with it.

mtbr member
    Awesome Color.
    love the mint green or whatever it is.

Maybe you should put a YETI decal on it
    I am sure there would be quite a few envious yeti guys.

greets Znarf

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Check the Santa Cruz forum...

I just recieved a new ('06)heckler, see Subtle 2006 change thread, no dent for DHX Air.
    The entire front shock mount provides additional clearance.
    Head tube gussets redesigned, revised graphics, etc.

El Malo
    I was able to salvage the Romic off my old Dare and now it's working as a back up shock for my Heckler... at 7 7/8x2.25"

These bikes are so tough and simple, it's crazy !
    "... the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - "